755 Le silence de la mer

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

755 Le silence de la mer

#1 Post by swo17 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:29 pm

Le silence de la mer

Image Image

Jean-Pierre Melville began his superb filmmaking career with this powerful adaptation of an influential underground novel written during the Nazi occupation of France. An idealistic, naive German officer is assigned to the home of a middle-aged man and his grown niece; their response to his presence—their only form of resistance—is complete silence. Constructed with elegant minimalism and shot, by the legendary Henri Decaë, with hushed eloquence, Le silence de la mer is a fascinating tale of moral ambiguity that points the way toward Melville's later films about resistance and the occupation (Léon Morin, Priest; Army of Shadows) yet remains a singularly eerie masterwork in its own right.

SPECIAL FEATURES

• New high-definition digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
24 Hours in the Life of a Clown (1946), Melville's seventeen-minute first film
• New interview with film scholar Ginette Vincendeau
• Interview with Melville from 1959
• New English subtitle translation
• PLUS: An essay by critic Geoffrey O’Brien

knives

Re: 755 Le silence de la mer

#2 Post by knives » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:35 pm

Excited for the short which is surprisingly good though I wish that they also put up When You Read This Letter some day.

manicsounds

#3 Post by manicsounds » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:21 pm

A bit surprised Criterion didn't license the French 50 minute making of documentary. It was on the Masters Of Cinema as well.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#4 Post by swo17 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:28 pm

Note that the MoC release is dual-format and region-free (though the DVD may be in PAL format?)

dwk

#5 Post by dwk » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:05 pm

The DVD is listed as a 2-disc set and, unless those two interviews are really long, those extras do not look like they would need a second disc, so maybe they plan on adding the making of doc and/or something else.

Gregor Samsa

#6 Post by Gregor Samsa » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:49 am

swo17 wrote:Note that the MoC release is dual-format and region-free (though the DVD may be in PAL format?)
It also has one of their most substantial booklets.

rockysds

#7 Post by rockysds » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:57 pm

Two docs added:
Code Name Melville (2008), a seventy-six-minute documentary on Melville’s time in the French Resistance and his films about it
Melville Steps Out of the Shadows (2010), a forty-one-minute documentary about Le silence de la mer featuring interviews with actor Nicole Stéphane and filmmaker Volker Schlöndorff, among others

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#8 Post by tenia » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:05 am

Code Name Melville can be found on Studio Canal's release of Le cercle rouge.
Out of the Shadows is the doc' on MOC's Silence de la mer.

dwk

#9 Post by dwk » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:35 pm

They've also added "a selection from Rui Nogueira’s 1971 book Melville on Melville" to the insert (maybe it'll be an actual booklet)

Minkin

#10 Post by Minkin » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:51 am

blu-ray.com
Svet wrote:Even if you already have Eureka's release, definitely consider adding this release to your collections
Svet doesn't mention the Nogueira selection - I wonder if its just an oversight on his part, or Criterion dropped it (it is still listed on their website), or its just a reviewer copy issue. In any case, I'm glad Criterion was able to create a great release (despite our reservations when initially announced) - that makes me glad I was dragging my feet on the MoC all this time.

ordinaryperson

#11 Post by ordinaryperson » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:44 am

Ribs

#12 Post by Ribs » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:06 am

Minkin wrote:blu-ray.com
Svet wrote:Even if you already have Eureka's release, definitely consider adding this release to your collections
Svet doesn't mention the Nogueira selection - I wonder if its just an oversight on his part, or Criterion dropped it (it is still listed on their website), or its just a reviewer copy issue. In any case, I'm glad Criterion was able to create a great release (despite our reservations when initially announced) - that makes me glad I was dragging my feet on the MoC all this time.
FWIW, the packaging photos clearly show a booklet open to the Nogueira piece, so it's just that it wasn't listed in the press sheet most likely.

sir_luke

#13 Post by sir_luke » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:32 pm

I'm just happy to see a booklet again.

teddyleevin

#14 Post by teddyleevin » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:55 pm

tenia wrote:Out of the Shadows is the doc' on MOC's Silence de la mer.
I already have the MOC (unopened, actually); is there anything exclusive about it that I may have missed that makes it worth keeping besides the booklet?

teddyleevin

#15 Post by teddyleevin » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:46 pm

From what I gather, the MOC has a Trailer not found on the Criterion as well as a different interview with Ginette Vincendeau (as well as a larger booklet). I haven't seen the film yet but it sounds like if I'm really in love with it, it would be worth getting the Criterion and keeping the MOC. I've just been waffling on opening the shrinkwrap. My Melville is limited to Le Samourai and Un Flic which I though were a little dry for the content but fun, all the same; WWII seems a little more my speed and this one comes pretty well recommended, it seems.

matrixschmatrix

#16 Post by matrixschmatrix » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:54 pm

It's very good but not necessarily incredibly representative of Melville as a whole- it's chamber bound and talky in a way his work rarely is.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#17 Post by Drucker » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:20 pm

I certainly wouldn't describe it as more "fun" or less dry than the others.