1055 Girlfriends

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

1055 Girlfriends

#1 Post by swo17 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:05 pm

Girlfriends

When her best friend and roommate abruptly moves out to get married, Susan (Melanie Mayron), trying to become a gallery artist while making ends meet as a bar mitzvah photographer on Manhattan’s Upper West Side, finds herself adrift in both life and love. Could a new job be the answer? What about a fling with a married, older rabbi (Eli Wallach)? A wonder of American independent filmmaking whose remarkably authentic vision of female relationships has become a touchstone for makers of an entire subgenre of films and television shows about young women trying to make it in the big city, this 1970s New York time capsule from Claudia Weill captures the complexities and contradictions of women’s lives and relationships with wry humor and refreshing frankness.

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
  • New, restored 4K digital transfer, supervised by director Claudia Weill and director of photography Fred Murphy, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New interview with Weill
  • New interview with Weill and actors Melanie Mayron, Christopher Guest, and Bob Balaban
  • New interview with screenwriter Vicki Polon
  • New interview with Weill and writer and director Joey Soloway
  • Joyce at 34, a 1972 short film by Weill and Joyce Chopra
  • Commuters, a 1973 short film by Weill
  • Trailer
  • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
PLUS: Essays by critic Molly Haskell and scholar Carol Gilligan

jazzo

Re: 1055 Girlfriends

#2 Post by jazzo » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:26 pm

Wow. For me, this is a terrific month, and will be getting 4 of the 5 releases (not the box set). This, however, may the one I'm most excited about.

HinkyDinkyTruesmith

#3 Post by HinkyDinkyTruesmith » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:29 pm

I've seen this three (maybe three and a half) times now and every time I return to it, I enjoy and admire it more. It's a wonderful selection of extras, as well. And based on the print they run on TCM, it definitely could use a proper release.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#4 Post by Drucker » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:31 pm

I whole-heartedly recommend this film. A real delight. Saw it a few years ago in 35 and really enjoyed it. It takes a twist and turn or two that you wouldn't expect but really works.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#5 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:38 pm

One of those films I've seen in the theater multiple times. I sort of always expected this to come considering the heavy reevaluation it's gotten in the last several years. It felt like an ideal license from Warner Bros. for years, so my only surprise is that it took this long to begin with!

jazzo

#6 Post by jazzo » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:45 pm

Now if I could just convince Criterion that Nancy Savoca’s Dogfight deserves a number in the Collection, I would be able to cross another dream release off my list.

therewillbeblus

#7 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:42 pm

I'm surprised I hadn't heard of this one before, given how it has obviously inspired the surge of candid portraits of the feminine-individualist existential journeys-in-staticity in urban spaces of late (Tiny Furniture, Girls, Frances Ha, a chunk of mumblecore, etc.) Though I appreciated this film more than the others for its peripheral focus, that the others generally ignore by the nature of the millennial solipsistic perceptiveness; which is not a dig per se, since those films are very much about having empathy for young people who cannot escape the quicksand of self-pity (which hardly anybody is completely safe from engaging in from time to time, if anybody at all). The warm fabric of this film is in the details, like the genial "good luck" pact to quit smoking or conversation of spiritual yearning with Wallach or the eccentric hitchhiker, all populating banal exchanges and spaces with casual conversations that would appear empty in another film. However here they are honest, bursting with the kind of authenticity that is self-conscious in muted playful attempts at humor and inhibited expressions of one's thoughts in small talk.

When Wallach and Mayron are flirting, the jokes aren't for us but for them, and watching the scene has the opposite effect from those modern-day comic examples that work hard to include us with punchlines in the screenplay and editing room for artificial amusement to align with the characters. Weill and Polon seem to understand that a lot of these 'real' moments of connection between people feed off of the energy in that room, and they make the bold choice to allow their characters to exist in a relationship of separation-triggering-involvement with the audience. So the funny bits cause me to smirk and nod and even laugh sometimes, but less because due to a script catering to me and more of an acknowledgement of the feeling of being in a social exchange where inside jokes develop before your eyes, disconnected from the rest of the world.

The "mumps" scene, for example, is funny and sweet and intimate, but through a detached compassion derived from the separation between viewer and character rather than blending, where I'm much more high from recognition and humanistic care than being 'in' on the gag. Through excluding us from direct subjective-surrogation, the film involves us as admirers and empathizers, reflecting a part of ourselves in the universality of the experiences and invested in observing what we may have missed from all the times we were in our own solipsistic nosedives, and unable to part from our own perspective in a duo. One of my favorite moments has Mayron sitting with Guest awkwardly trying to work through the barriers we put up for protection without any catharsis from measurable gain. It's riveting in how little is said or done because the tension and possibilities are felt. This is a very mindful film; humble, funny, considerate, and empathic to all involved. I can see how repeat viewings would yield improved returns, and am looking forward to checking out the shorts on the disc especially come November.

yoloswegmaster

#8 Post by yoloswegmaster » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:13 pm