854 The Tree of Wooden Clogs

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

854 The Tree of Wooden Clogs

#1 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:13 pm

The Tree of Wooden Clogs

Image Image

A painterly and sensual immersion in late nineteenth-century Italian farm life, Ermanno Olmi's The Tree of Wooden Clogs lovingly focuses on four families working for one landowner on an isolated estate in the province of Bergamo. Filming on an abandoned farm for four months, Olmi adapted neorealist techniques to tell his story, enlisting local people to live as their own ancestors had, speaking in their native dialect on locations with which they were intimately familiar. Through the cycle of seasons, of back-breaking labor, love and marriage, birth and death, faith and superstition, Olmi naturalistically evokes an existence very close to nature, one that celebrates its beauty, humor, and simplicity but also acknowledges the feudal cruelty that governs it. Winner of the Palme d'Or at Cannes in 1978, The Tree of Wooden Clogs is at once intimate in scale and epic in scope—a towering, heart-stirring work of humanist filmmaking.

SPECIAL FEATURES

• New 4K restoration, created in collaboration with The Film Foundation at L'Immagine Ritrovata and supervised by director Ermanno Olmi, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
• Alternate Italian-language soundtrack
Ermanno Olmi: The Roots of the Tree, an hour-long episode of The South Bank Show from 1981, featuring an interview with Olmi on the film and a visit to the farm where it was shot
• New program featuring cast and crew discussing the film at the Cinema Ritrovato film festival in Bologna, Italy, in 2016
• Archival interviews with Olmi
• Trailer
• New English subtitle translation
• PLUS: An essay by film critic Deborah Young

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: 840 The Tree of Wooden Clogs

#2 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:28 pm

Are there two different Italian audio tracks?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:32 pm

I gather the main track is in a number of different dialects and there is an alternate track that is just straight-up Italian.

knives

#4 Post by knives » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:19 pm

Swo's right. Burgamo is near Italy's German border and so their Italian is heavily accented toward German along with a few unique pieces of slang. It's a bit like the more heavily accented Cajun parts of the US in how it differs from the sort of President's english of the country.

TMDaines

840 The Tree of Wooden Clogs

#5 Post by TMDaines » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:50 pm

No expert on Cajun English dialect, but Bergamasque is more distinct than that. It is a separate language and is little more mutually intelligible than French is with Italian. Of course most Bergamasque speakers will speak somewhere on a dialect continuum with Italian, which muddies the waters.
Last edited by TMDaines on Mon May 15, 2017 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

knives

#6 Post by knives » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:52 pm

Cajun is basically French with bits of English thrown in on the level I was talking about.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#7 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:14 pm

knives wrote:Cajun is basically French with bits of English thrown in on the level I was talking about.
Cajun French is based on regional french dialect (primarily from Normandy) as imported to the New World (primarily Nova Scotia -- but generally "Acadia"). As dispersed (through force) to Louisiana, it became Cajun. As spoken in New Brunswick and Price Edward Island (people who fled before deportation from Nova Scotia -- or who later returned to these places from further away) it became Chiac (at least when mixed with Canadian English). This dialect is observed/celebrated in several films by Michell Brault (from Quebec, where an entirely different form of regional French, plus Parisian French, provided the linguistic foundation. In recent years, there has been an expansion of cultural ties between Cajuns and their Canadian relatives. Cajuns and Acadians seem to be able to understand each other's French. Cajun French is pretty difficult for Quebecois speakers to follow, however.

Why so wordy? Summer is folk music time for us -- and we encounter lots of music from all over "French America". BTW -- Brault and Andre Gladu made a whole TV series about music of French America in the late 70s -- alas this is available (unsubbed only, I think) only to institutions (at institutional pricing).

knives

#8 Post by knives » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:34 pm

Thanks for the expansion.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#9 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:56 pm

Slight correction: Brittany, Picardy, and Poitou -- in addition to Normandy. No wonder the dialect in Dumont's Quinquin sounded vaguely familiar. ;-) (Double checking, I also see there is some overlap between the origins of the populations of Acadia and Quebec -- yet the two languages are quite distinct).

Languages, like race, are rather arbitrarily defined. Despite all attempts to squelch them, regional languages/dialects have tended to persist.

Ribs

Re: ??? The Tree of Wooden Clogs

#10 Post by Ribs » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:09 pm

Delayed to 14 Feb 2017

perkizitore

#11 Post by perkizitore » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:33 pm

Perfect, this film makes for ideal Valentine's Day viewing!

kekid

#12 Post by kekid » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:30 pm

This is not a minor delay. Four months? What could be the reason?

Ribs

#13 Post by Ribs » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:55 pm

Probably just an issue with the restoration or something. This has been happening a little bit more often than usual for Criterion (it had been years since it last happened when Moonrise Kingdom was pushed back, and since then there have been two more including this), but I really don't think there's anything nefarious, just it'll need another few months to be able to be the best possible release.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#14 Post by domino harvey » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:57 pm

I'm blanking, what was the other?

Ribs

#15 Post by Ribs » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:04 pm

McCabe and Mrs Miller.

sir_luke

#16 Post by sir_luke » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:20 pm

I would much rather wait a couple extra months for the release than endure eternal complaints about color timing, etc.

zedz

#17 Post by zedz » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:25 pm

sir_luke wrote:I would much rather wait a couple extra months for the release than endure eternal complaints about color timing, etc.
I'm sure we can arrange for both.

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#18 Post by Never Cursed » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:12 am

Are we sure it isn't because of the spine number problems? It might have been that this was the earliest date to which a spine wasn't assigned. It'll probably be something around spine #862 if it gets one.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#19 Post by swo17 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:19 am

"Spine number problems" aren't a thing. Criterion can do whatever they want with them. It's much more likely that they knew there'd be a long delay when they gave this film's number to another, and it's only now that they're comfortable announcing a revised release date.

Ribs

#20 Post by Ribs » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:31 am

For the record: Moonrise Kingdom's delay saw its original Spine Number moved to Mister Johnson, McCabe and Mrs. Miller's saw no change in the number.

ng4996
the Wizard of Ozu

#21 Post by ng4996 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:08 am

Chatting with Charles Burnett tonight after a screening of Killer of Sheep at my local film festival, we talked at length about Neo-Realism and its influence on the film, and he mentioned that this is one of his All Time Favorite films. He also knew that the hold up on its release is due almost entirely to a conflict about the color timing, and that the non-Criterion party involved wanted to make it "too Blue".

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#22 Post by tenia » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:58 am

ng4996 wrote:He also knew that the hold up on its release is due almost entirely to a conflict about the color timing, and that the non-Criterion party involved wanted to make it "too Blue".
Despite the Olmi supervision ? You'd think that Bologna + the Film Foundation combination should be enough to know their stuff, and that the director's supervision should be the final seal of approval...

Ribs

#23 Post by Ribs » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:16 pm

Glad Criterion have forgotten to give this a spine yet again.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#24 Post by cdnchris » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:19 pm

It's probably 854

eastguy

Re: 854 The Tree of Wooden Clogs

#25 Post by eastguy » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:54 pm

Yep. The number is on the film's page now. I feel better.