1208 The Roaring Twenties

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

1208 The Roaring Twenties

#1 Post by swo17 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:14 pm

The Roaring Twenties

Ripped from the headlines of the turbulent era between the Great War and the Great Depression, this dynamic, nostalgia-tinged crime drama balances tommy-gun action with epic historical sweep. Legends James Cagney and Humphrey Bogart star as army buddies whose fortunes rise and fall as their fates intersect, first in a foxhole on the front lines of World War I, then in Manhattan's Prohibition-era underworld. Directed by Hollywood master Raoul Walsh, and based on a story by prolific journalist turned screenwriter and producer Mark Hellinger, The Roaring Twenties brought to a close the celebrated Warner Bros. gangster cycle of the 1930s, and it remains one of the greatest and most influential crime films of all time.

4K UHD + BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

• New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
• One 4K UHD disc of the film presented in Dolby Vision HDR and one Blu-ray with the film and special features
• Audio commentary with film historian Lincoln Hurst
• New interview with critic Gary Giddins
• Excerpt from a 1973 interview with director Raoul Walsh
• Trailer
• English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• PLUS: An essay by film critic Mark Asch

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

Re: 1208 The Roaring Twenties

#2 Post by Drucker » Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:15 pm

Breaking the rules of the forum by just posting hell yeah

ryannichols7

#3 Post by ryannichols7 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:16 pm

a UHD! well worth the time it took for this to come. one wonders if High Sierra would've gotten that treatment had it come later

can anyone vouch for the commentary? it was on the WB disc. nice to see Gary Giddins on here after I just gave him a shout yesterday for his Paths of Glory track

Maltic

#4 Post by Maltic » Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:07 pm

Finally.
ryannichols7 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:16 pm
a UHD! well worth the time it took for this to come. one wonders if High Sierra would've gotten that treatment had it come later

can anyone vouch for the commentary? it was on the WB disc. nice to see Gary Giddins on here after I just gave him a shout yesterday for his Paths of Glory track

I listened to it on the Warner DVD at some point, and remember going "mehh". But hey, this was at least 10 years ago.

I guess Giddens is what separates this from a standard Warner Archive release. Yay. I like him too, though. If it's a thorough interview, maybe that's all we need...

ryannichols7

#5 Post by ryannichols7 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:32 pm

Maltic wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:07 pm
Finally.
ryannichols7 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:16 pm

I listened to it on the Warner DVD at some point, and remember going "mehh". But hey, this was at least 10 years ago.

I guess Giddens is what separates this from a standard Warner Archive release. Yay. I like him too, though. If it's a thorough interview, maybe that's all we need...
I'll take it, better than nothing. Giddins should cover a lot of ground, I usually enjoy his stuff a lot and he's usually well prepared. the big difference here though is the 4K DV release, something WAC wouldn't have given us. I'll take these long waits for WB titles if that's the end result

Bressonaire

#6 Post by Bressonaire » Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:01 pm

Unlikely as it seems, this is the first Cagney movie in the Criterion Collection!

zedz

#7 Post by zedz » Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:15 pm

Well, they couldn't have picked a better one!

FrauBlucher

#8 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:28 am

FrauBlucher

#9 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:55 am

Got a chance to watch this over the last few days. It looks marvelous and it's Cagney at his best. I think Walsh's films are distinctive in that you feel a certain rhythm and pacing I don't feel in many other studio system directors. As for the supps, Gideon's interview was excellent but the Hurst commentary track was very underwhelming. It bores me to tears when it's mostly a play by play track