453 Chungking Express

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
ianungstad

Re: 453 Chungking Express

#151 Post by ianungstad » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:39 pm

domino harvey wrote:
dx23 wrote:Anyone know why the Blu-ray of Chungking Express went OOP but the DVD didn't?
The DVD of the Leopard made that list too. It's still for sale on Criterion's site, so I took it as a mistake or maybe there's multiple UPCs (one for the digipak and one for the new case, maybe?)
I just assumed that they going to start reprinting Chungking Express in the new plastic blu cases, with a new UPC code. I think the OOP listing is just for the digipack version of the blu ray. I'm sure Criterion would sent out a notice if they lost the rights and were really discontinuing it. As you pointed out, the dvd is stil listed as available.

dx23

#152 Post by dx23 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:16 am

ianungstad wrote:
domino harvey wrote:
dx23 wrote:Anyone know why the Blu-ray of Chungking Express went OOP but the DVD didn't?
The DVD of the Leopard made that list too. It's still for sale on Criterion's site, so I took it as a mistake or maybe there's multiple UPCs (one for the digipak and one for the new case, maybe?)
I just assumed that they going to start reprinting Chungking Express in the new plastic blu cases, with a new UPC code. I think the OOP listing is just for the digipack version of the blu ray. I'm sure Criterion would sent out a notice if they lost the rights and were really discontinuing it. As you pointed out, the dvd is stil listed as available.
I checked at Borders and BN and neither of them had the BD version on the system anymore. Hopefully is just a change in UPC but I'm going to email Criterion to see if the BD is truly OOP.

Kirkinson

#153 Post by Kirkinson » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:39 am

dx23 wrote:I checked at Borders and BN and neither of them had the BD version on the system anymore. Hopefully is just a change in UPC but I'm going to email Criterion to see if the BD is truly OOP.
The BD version is still listed in Borders' system (I'm checking on it right now on my last day of work here) but the title status is "inactive" and our warehouses can't order it.

Tom Hagen

#154 Post by Tom Hagen » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:20 am

domino harvey wrote:
For some reason, it's now out of stock and selling for insane prices at Amazon. I've also noticed that the Playtime dvd edition is out of stock on Amazon and backordered on Criterion's store.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#155 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:19 pm

Jesus, I wasn't even going to upgrade but someone can definitely have my like-new DVD copy of the Leopard for $100... really glad I picked up the Chungking Express Blu during the last BN sale now

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#156 Post by mfunk9786 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:06 pm

Both of these are available on Criterion.com for the normal 20% off still, and remember, if you search on Google for site:video.barnesandnoble.com title of film you can still use the site to reserve an in-store copy and see which local stores still have these available. Going to get a copy of Chungking Express today just to be safe, I'm not a huge fan of the film but it might be smart to have one of these in the collection just in case.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#157 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:48 pm

Tom Hagen wrote:For some reason, it's now out of stock and selling for insane prices at Amazon. I've also noticed that the Playtime dvd edition is out of stock on Amazon and backordered on Criterion's store.
Fuck. I sold my copy last week and it wasn't anywhere near the neighborhood of $80 ](*,)

Murdoch

#158 Post by Murdoch » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:24 pm

I can understand the blu going for that, but the DVD while the blu is still available for $80? Really?

Peacock

#159 Post by Peacock » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:43 pm

The Blu isn't going oop, someone asked Criterion about this a few days ago on Facebook and they replied 'It's not out of print!' or something; so yeah I'm throwing caution to the wind and waiting for a the plastic case Blu...

matrixschmatrix

#160 Post by matrixschmatrix » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:01 pm

A little while ago, the Killers, Stories and Floating Weeds and a couple others went sort of out of print for a while while Criterion changed the packaging- I'd assume this is the same situation. I'd put my copy of the Killers up for sale when the price spiked, but nobody bought, and I'd be surprised if anyone was actually buying the Leopard DVD at $80.

filmfan

#161 Post by filmfan » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:23 pm

Would the new Artificial Eye UK Blu Ray edition have anything to do with the discontinuing of the Criterion Blu Ray version ?

Gregory

#162 Post by Gregory » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:45 pm

They're just changing the packaging. See here.

dx23

#163 Post by dx23 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:01 pm

Gregory wrote:They're just changing the packaging. See here.
Confirmed to me by a Criterion email:
Thanks for your email! These titles have not gone out of print. The packaging for both films is being changed over, hence the temporary back order.

I hope this information is helpful! Please let me know if you have any more questions and thanks for supporting Criterion!

Best,

Jon Mulvaney

What A Disgrace

#164 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:05 pm

It seems to be listed as OOP once again?

ianungstad

#165 Post by ianungstad » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:58 pm

Criterion on Facebook:

It's OOP. We are hoping to be able to bring it back into print, but it's not a sure thing by any means. There may still copies available in the retail channel, but it is no longer available from our site. Sorry about that.

Hopefully it all works out in the end and it returns to the collection as part of some future Lionsgate deal. If you don't own it yet, now's the time to buy.

FakeBonanza

#166 Post by FakeBonanza » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:41 pm

What is the likelihood of this being reissued in the near future (within, say, the next couple of years)? I'm sure there is some precedent for an OOP title being reissued, though I can't recall a specific example. Criterion's relationship with Lionsgate has not exactly been fruitful, so I don't know if I should have more optimism for Chungking Express than an OOP Canal title.

I inexplicably held off when its going out of print was first announced. Having revisited the film in Criterion's blu-ray last night, I immediately regret it.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#167 Post by Brian C » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:21 pm

Anything can happen, I guess, but I would assume that the chances are pretty much nil unless the rights change hands again.

dwk

#168 Post by dwk » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:46 pm

I don't see any mention of Chungking Express on Miramax's website, so, hopefully, their rights to the film have expired.

manicsounds

#169 Post by manicsounds » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:56 pm

FakeBonanza wrote:Criterion's relationship with Lionsgate has not exactly been fruitful, so I don't know if I should have more optimism for Chungking Express than an OOP Canal title.
Criterion licensed "Naqoyqatsi" from Miramax/Lionsgate most recently so it's not impossible. Just depends if Lionsgate are the ones that have the legal rights or not.

LilEdieBeale

#170 Post by LilEdieBeale » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:40 am

Now that they brought Jacques Tati's oeuvre back out of OOP limbo, I wonder if they will do the same for Chungking Express. What I mean is, I wonder if they will be releasing a Wong Kar-wai collection (that won't include In the Mood for Love), but will probably include CE?

I'm thinking they could release Happy Together. 2046, As Tears Go By and Fallen Angels? Maybe instead of doing 2046 (which would screw up the timeline), they could replace it with Ashes of Time?

Jacques Demy and Jacques Tati get boxed sets of their films in 2014... could Wong Kar-wai be on the horizon?

"It's very difficult to keep the line between the past and the present. Do you know what I mean? It's awful difficult."

manicsounds

#171 Post by manicsounds » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:48 pm

Considering Kino put out very good editions of Fallen Angels and Happy Together already, and they have the US rights to "As Tears Go By" and "Days Of Being Wild", which we are all still waiting on Kino to release on blu-ray sometime.

2046 and Ashes Of Time could be possibilities, since they are both from Sony, and they still haven't been released on Blu-ray in the US. Korea just released 2046 on Blu-ray recently.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#172 Post by Drucker » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:40 pm

The Tati situation was extremely unique, and shouldn't be thought of as a template for rights that could be brought back in print. The Tati estate intervened in a way that enabled Criterion to release the films in the US.

doh286

#173 Post by doh286 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:48 pm

ShellOilJunior

#174 Post by ShellOilJunior » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:29 am

Allegedly in-stock at Amazon for $39.99

Could be another Third Man tease but you never know...

Ribs

#175 Post by Ribs » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:40 am

People at blu-ray's forums are claiming their copies have shipped from the above.