440 Brand Upon the Brain!

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
LQ

#51 Post by LQ » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:30 am

Michael wrote:If you are a Maddin skeptic like I was, you are in for the real surprise!
I made my withering opinion of My Winnipeg well-known elsewhere, and was determined to hate this when it was suggested that we should watch it...BUT!! I'm in full agreement; I was very suprised indeed. I can see now why everyone was so devoted to the guy on the winnipeg thread (although I stand by my view on that one...as mfunk said, being so wowed by BUTB it makes MW all the more a tired re-tread).
It was totally unique, and yes- very very eerie, fascinating, funny and surreal.

I take back all my vituperative remarks about Maddin.
Sorry Guy.

Michael

#52 Post by Michael » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:46 am

LQ, did you see Brand Upon the Brain! after seeing My Winnipeg? If so, would that change your mind about My Winnipeg (maybe if you decide to revisit it)?

What I loved so much about Brand is the viewing experience of it. It was totally spectacular and new. The best time I've had with a film in a very long, long time, Lola Montes I first visited last weekend now turned into dust, INLAND EMPIRE I called the best of the decade only hours before viewing Brand now in a tough competition!

I just love the beautiful gothic flavor waving through the dreary, cold island, the rhythym so pounding kinetic, monsters stalking horny children. The mom is a overbearing vampire leaped out of Mother Goose, spying on children via the telescope/searchlight from the top of their home which is actually a lighthouse. And lets not get to that part what she does to her husband in the last third of the film, it completely floored me, my eyes wide open like a boy first time in a funhouse.
Last edited by Michael on Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

LQ

#53 Post by LQ » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:12 am

Yeah, I saw My Winnipeg before Brand; it was my first foray into Maddin's films.

I hated it. That's why I was determined to detest Brand but it completely bowled me over, for all the reasons you illustrated below. I don't really want to watch My Winnipeg again because reflecting back on it, I come to the conclusion that Brand covers the same territory, and in a much much better fashion (that's why I said Winnipeg was a tired re-tread above). Did you see it yet?
Last edited by LQ on Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Michael

#54 Post by Michael » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:22 am

I have not seen My Winnipeg yet but that image of frozen horses posted elsewhere invades my nightmares! Because I was so floored by Brand, Cowards Bend the Knee is now the next to-watch. I have no idea how Brand compares to the films mentioned here.

LQ

#55 Post by LQ » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:27 am

Oh, believe me- the movie does make for great stills :)

I'll be interested to hear what you think of it in light of your reaction to Brand.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#56 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:39 pm

Watched Brand again this morning, with Maddin's narration. I have to say, I definitely prefer a third person perspective in the narration, it makes it feel more storybook-ish and less icky and narcissistic. Still liked it, though. I plan on watching it with each narrator to determine which I prefer for future viewings.

Michael

#57 Post by Michael » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:15 pm

zedz

#58 Post by zedz » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:13 pm

Michael wrote:I have not seen My Winnipeg yet but that image of frozen horses posted elsewhere invades my nightmares! Because I was so floored by Brand, Cowards Bend the Knee is now the next to-watch. I have no idea how Brand compares to the films mentioned here.
If you liked Brand Upon the Brain, Cowards Bend the Knee should definitely be your next port of call. (And you thought Brand was creepy and claustrophobic!) It might help to bear in mind that Cowards began its life as an installation of multiple peep-shows!

Michael

#59 Post by Michael » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:09 am

zedz wrote:If you liked Brand Upon the Brain, Cowards Bend the Knee should definitely be your next port of call. (And you thought Brand was creepy and claustrophobic!) It might help to bear in mind that Cowards began its life as an installation of multiple peep-shows!
Cowards is an amuse-bouche to the 12-meal orgy feast of Brain! . It's still worth a look - very quick, only one hour long, doesn't hold up to the emotional and visual density and power of Brain!. If it had to take Maddin to make this film to reach the zenith of Brain!,then I'm all for it.

My next stop = My Winnipeg.

More on Brain!. I've been trying to unravel and examine deeper some of my feelings and thoughts the film provoked. There's something I find profoundly moving about a guy returning home after so many years and the phantoms/monsters of his past come back haunting. The film itself feels like Maddin's personal working out of the demons of his childhood. That staggeringly personal and emotional level is what makes the film Maddin's best for me, that level is missing from the rest of his filmography (My Winnipeg remains unseen by me.) Every other image still consumes my days and nights: orphans marching up the stairs, moon magic sex, mom feasting on lifeless boys like corn cobs, the goat boy, the surprise visit of a hamster, icy beachside graves, the electrifying resurrection...

The Glue Man

#60 Post by The Glue Man » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:44 pm

Brand was a total blind-buy for me, and I've never seen a Maddin film before either, so just wanted to add my pithy panegyric: What a film! Watched this last night and couldn't keep my eyes off it - reminded me so much of the brief glimpses of Deren or Melies that I've had. Definitely going to revisit - as one poster above - around Halloween time, probably with a different narration (first time through was with the IR studio track). A truly wonderful experience, immediately amongst my most favoured films in the Collection and possibly of all time too - so much in there to re-visit and dissect about childhood and memory... one of the best films I've seen on this subject outside of Distant Voices, Still Lives

Here's hoping My Winnipeg gets a swift DVD release here (UK) - the rest of his catalogue also seems very poorly treated - come on Criterion, perhaps some more? An Eclipse set of the earlier works, maybe?

LQ

#61 Post by LQ » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:02 pm

The Glue Man wrote:Here's hoping My Winnipeg gets a swift DVD release here (UK) - the rest of his catalogue also seems very poorly treated - come on Criterion, perhaps some more? An Eclipse set of the earlier works, maybe?
Oct 27th, it seems. I'll be very curious to hear thoughts on My Winnipeg from those who saw Brand! first. In retrospect, that's the way I wished I had done it. I LOVE Brand! but still look back on Winnpeg with extreme distaste...whenever it comes out in the states I'll have to see if my opinion changes
Last edited by LQ on Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#62 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:07 pm

It's a shame Crispin Glover didn't narrate that one.

The Glue Man

#63 Post by The Glue Man » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:09 pm

LQ wrote:Oct 27th, it seems.
Aha! Thanks LQ - just did a brief scout around and HMV.com suggests a whole month earlier on 29th September - I kind of hope not as funds may be lacking (something to do with a whole tranche of Replacements reissues that day and the 2 MOC Pialats the week before, maybe!)

Interestingly, Soda Pictures own site is silent on the issue...

Street Dude

#64 Post by Street Dude » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:17 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:It's a shame Crispin Glover didn't narrate that one.
It's a shame Crispen Gloven won't release his films on DVD. I do understand his reasoning, though.

I just want to watch It is Fine! Everything is Fine! again.

kaujot

#65 Post by kaujot » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:21 pm

Street Dude wrote:
It's a shame Crispen Gloven won't release his films on DVD. I do understand his reasoning, though.

What's his reasoning?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#66 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:32 am

Street Dude wrote:It's a shame Crispen Gloven won't release his films on DVD.
As long as Crispin Glover does, we'll all be fine.

Antoine Doinel

#67 Post by Antoine Doinel » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:18 am

kaujot wrote:
Street Dude wrote:

What's his reasoning?
From an interview with the AV Club:
AVC: You said you won't release the trilogy on DVD, but that you would publish the original screenplays.

CG: Yes, I would like to publish the screenplays. But it's hard to know exactly at what point that would happen.

AVC: Why would you be willing to do that, but not release the movies themselves?

CG: The reason is a financial reason. It's frustrating when people get upset with me about not going out to DVD—the reason is that I plan to tour with the films for many, many years, not just a month or a week. Literally years. And as soon as I would put it out on DVD, it would ruin the financial possibilities of me making it a theatrical event. Whereas the book, the publishing of a screenplay, would not cause that problem.

Zumpano

#68 Post by Zumpano » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:35 pm

Don't worry, I'm sure a DVD will be released after he dies.

Street Dude

#69 Post by Street Dude » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:43 pm

Zumpano wrote:Don't worry, I'm sure a DVD will be released after he dies.
tee-he-he

kaujot

#70 Post by kaujot » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:49 pm

I suspect that when he dies, his body will be merely added on to the traveling show.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#71 Post by swo17 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:00 am

Just curious, does anyone have any strong opinions about what are the best narration tracks on this? I've already seen it with the Rossellini narration, and I rented it in particular to hear the Crispin Glover one. I wasn't planning on watching any of the others just yet, unless someone convinces me otherwise...

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#72 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:17 am

Having watched it with the Rossellini, Maddin, Glover, and Wallach so far, I would say that Glover is far and away the best. The eerie anxiety and urgency in his voice really suits the film well.

HistoryProf

Re: 440 Brand Upon the Brain!

#73 Post by HistoryProf » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:46 am

Boy, finally sat down with this tonight and what a ride. I can't add much to the effusive praise posted already, but wanted to add my voice to the chorus nonetheless. A unique experience to be sure, but an absolutely fascinating one from start to finish. I wasn't thrilled with My Winnipeg - was rather disappointed in it really - but this was a revelation. Crazy insanity that had me absolutely rapt.

I did want to say I thought Glover's narration was a bit of a let down - probably because I was so excited for the combination. we started with IR's live track, then switched to CG in Chapter 3 or 4, then tried Eli Wallach out for a couple of chapters, and finished with IR...hers was by far the best of the three for us, with Eli Wallach's offering a completely different but equally penetrating experience - having the elderly voice added a patina to it all that the others could not. Glover just felt rather subdued, whereas I was expecting the unnerving disjointed Glover of River's Edge or something. IR just felt right after trying the others out. But this is surely a case of YMMV....

Regardless of who you choose, however, it's an experience not to be missed. I want to try out Laurie Anderson next I think.....Anyone give hers a listen?

criterionsnob

Re: 440 Brand Upon the Brain!

#74 Post by criterionsnob » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:08 pm

I kept thinking of this film often while watching The Lighthouse yesterday. And now I see that it’s getting a Blu-day upgrade next year. Fantastic news. I think this is one of Guy Maddin’s best.

@CriterionCast @JustTheDiscsPod @dawnofthediscs Haven’t had the chance to ask him yet about the status of his DVD-only and OOP films (though I will tomorrow), but tonight Guy Maddin confirmed that Brand Upon the Brain is finally reveiving a BD release next year.