214 All That Money Can Buy (AKA The Devil and Daniel Webster)

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Roger Ryan

Re: 214 All That Money Can Buy (AKA The Devil and Daniel Webster)

#26 Post by Roger Ryan » Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:35 pm

swo17 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:36 pm
The title change is dumb--it only initially went under that title to avoid confusion with the same year's The Devil and Miss Jones
Yes, but I believe this new restoration uses the title card of “All That Money Can Buy” (digitally recreated as I recall), so it wouldn’t make sense to just use the better and more recognizable title on the cover. There may be a good reason for going with “All That Money Can Buy” in that the full length version of the film only screened with that title - later, when the title was changed to “The Devil and Daniel Webster”, scenes began getting deleted as well.

FrauBlucher

#27 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:22 pm

Does this no longer belong to Janus? It has been removed from their website. You would think with the new restoration Janus would be promoting it. Maybe Chris has an idea about this

HitchcockLang

#28 Post by HitchcockLang » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:07 am

Roger Ryan wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:35 pm
swo17 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:36 pm
The title change is dumb--it only initially went under that title to avoid confusion with the same year's The Devil and Miss Jones
Yes, but I believe this new restoration uses the title card of “All That Money Can Buy” (digitally recreated as I recall), so it wouldn’t make sense to just use the better and more recognizable title on the cover. There may be a good reason for going with “All That Money Can Buy” in that the full length version of the film only screened with that title - later, when the title was changed to “The Devil and Daniel Webster”, scenes began getting deleted as well.
I mean, there is kind of already a precedent of Criterion releasing a film with one title on the cover and a different title on the title card (The Irishman / I Hear You Paint Houses) but that's a whole other can of worms.

FrauBlucher

#30 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:32 pm

therewillbeblus

#31 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:35 pm

If you look at it like a logic proof, he's just saying money is the devil

FrauBlucher

#32 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:07 pm