459-460 The Exterminating Angel and Simon of the Desert

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Florinaldo

Re: 459-460 The Exterminating Angel and Simon of the Desert

#76 Post by Florinaldo » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:10 am

The most fascinating part of the Maillé documentary on Buñuel's Mexican period was to me the rediscovered "happy end" to Los Olvidados.

One can understand the distributor's wish to plan for this more commercial alternative version, and I suppose we care enough about the character Pedro to wish for him to return to the reform school and give back the money. But it is difficult to imagine the movie being such an overall artistic success without both boys dying, especially since we would be missing those wonderful shots of a chicken casually walking over Pedro's boy, him being dumped on the trash heap or Jaibo's death hallucination. (Although Pedro's encounter with Ojitos is sweet.)

And the music tagged on the shot of Pedro entering the school contradicts everything that has been seen before. It's not wonder the two actors did not even remember shooting that version of their final fight, since the other one is now so iconic and rings so true.

GringoTex

#77 Post by GringoTex » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:21 am

I hadn't seen Simon of the Desert in about 18 years and was shocked with the respect Bunuel treats his title character. It's not holy men or the idea of holiness that Bunuel is attacking, it's the circus that the strati of society create in trying to make sense of the holiness. The encounters between Simon and Satan (god Silvia Pinal has great tits) are treated quite seriously.

HerrSchreck

#78 Post by HerrSchreck » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:08 am

It really is a fabulous film. I don't have the CC but I have a good enough vhs, and lord have mercy he brings the absurdity of religion's effects on men to such stark realization, I hafta laugh hystericaly when I see it. (and ditto on Pinal's tits-- hell, her whole body.. of course I use the word hell correspondingly as she plays the--one hell of a hot one-- Devil.)

His Simon is indeed a stately character who escapes ridicule.. though I have to say, at times, that beard, that long stick figure perched way way up top that long column, that deadpan face... sometimes it all comes across so loaded, being surrounded by all that absurdity, that just looking at a freezeframe of Simon's face makes me wanta bust out and laugh.

Antoine Doinel

#79 Post by Antoine Doinel » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:59 am

Newsweek is happy to see The Exterminating Angel on DVD.

bunuelian

#80 Post by bunuelian » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:11 am

I could wallow in these films for hours. The moment of discovery for the prisoners in The Exterminating Angel is my favorite moment in Bunuel's output; it's a pitch-perfect symphony of celebrated social error, and one of Bunuel's most refined expressions of classical Surrealism. I laugh, hard, each time I see it.

MoonlitKnight

#81 Post by MoonlitKnight » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:57 am

bunuelian wrote:I could wallow in these films for hours. The moment of discovery for the prisoners in The Exterminating Angel is my favorite moment in Bunuel's output; it's a pitch-perfect symphony of celebrated social error, and one of Bunuel's most refined expressions of classical Surrealism. I laugh, hard, each time I see it.
Indeed...now bring on "Tristana"! :-"

kaujot

#82 Post by kaujot » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:23 am

I finally got around to watching Simon, and I was really sort of perturbed about the whole thing. I don't know. It's the most un-Bunuel Bunuel film that I've yet seen (and my first of his Mexican output) of his, and it was just so somber and serious. I've never sat with such a straight face through one of his movies, though the scene with the healed man and his family was pretty funny. I wasn't expecting a laugh riot, but the tone really threw me for a loop.

And the ending. I didn't get a big revelation like Schreck did. I obviously missed something, but the whole thing was just all of a sudden over.

Matt

#83 Post by Matt » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:40 pm

Huh. I think it's one of his funniest films. But then I don't agree with Schreck and GringoTex that Simon escapes ridicule. I think Buñuel makes him come off like an arrogant prick (he's practically rolling his eyes at his followers) and that we're definitely meant to side with the Devil.

HerrSchreck

#84 Post by HerrSchreck » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:08 pm

Oh I think it's hilarious, but quietly so; you have to be "there" in that spot w Bunuel that he's carved out. It's like-- ever been in church or temple or whatever you been in when a kid, and you're with your brother or sister or friend or cousin, and they've got you on the spot cracking up... or something happens w the priest or in the pewsthat makes you crack up (like one time me and my next oldest brother were bored out our minds in the standing phase of Catholic church and some 6 or 7 yr old kid BURIED his hand in the ass of this little 9 or 10 yr old pretty blonde girl in ribbons, just WHOMP and thru her skirt he must have grabbed her deep apertures like the finger holes on a bowling ball... she nearly shot up to the ceiling... it was great) and the more you try and stop the more funny the situation gets? It's kind of like, for example, there was a kid I hung out w in 8th grade, this black kid named David. He had a huge afro, was skinny as a rail, had thick taped glasses, thought he was a 1960's Hendrix Hippie, and was totally NUTS. He'd always be muttering under his breath all the time, off in his own world, every once & a while cracking himself up with these little self-satisfied laughs coming from outer space, laughing and muttering stuff that I mostly couldn't make out no matter how I tried to make it out and track it to put it together. I'd be sitting in math class watching David rolling his eyes, reacting in his seat to prompts from another galaxy, stiffening up, raising his finger to get his own attention, etc.

You know how some people have that power over you, but you've got to NOT be constantly busting out laughing in the guys face simply because he's right there in fron of you? That's Bunuel in this movie. Nothing is overtly "comedy" like the Jesus & itching gags in L'Age D'Or (if that's what you're expecting). It's rarely super bawdy likke the feast in Viridiana.

The Simon figure doesn't really DO much that's funny-- in other words the character of Simon is molto serioso about it all. But what makes it so fucking funny to me is how Simon LOOKS. It's all right there on the edge of parody, ready to fall over into complete absurdity-- but it holds and never slips.. like Simon up there on his old column.

kaujot

#85 Post by kaujot » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:16 pm

Well, I wasn't expecting to be laughing out loud (something I rarely do during one of his films), but I did expect to find more that tickled me, more in the vein of The Milky Way, I guess. I'll have to give it another viewing.

zedz

#86 Post by zedz » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:55 pm

kaujot wrote:Well, I wasn't expecting to be laughing out loud (something I rarely do during one of his films), but I did expect to find more that tickled me, more in the vein of The Milky Way, I guess. I'll have to give it another viewing.
I'm with Matt, and I do find it laugh-out-loud funny (a dragged-up Jesus drop-kicking a lamb?), but I'm a much bigger fan of Bunuel's Mexican period than his later French one. Oddly enough, I feel like it's in those films that he takes himself (or the idea of himself) more seriously. For me, Simon is the closest Bunuel got to Tex Avery, even down to the inventive variations-on-a-theme structure.

Doctor Sunshine

#87 Post by Doctor Sunshine » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:38 pm

I'm not sure we can abet the comedy much by explaining it but here's what I like about it anyway. You have this self-serious ascetic--humble before God and all but still kind of a jerk--preforming this epic feat (plus miracles!) and no one really cares. The priests give perfunctory praise but really just want to get on with their day. The thief gets his miracle then promptly forgets that Simon exists, smacking his kid with said miracle on the way out for good measure. Then the priests later denounce Simon but quietly dismiss the whole thing when it's discovered Satan put the cheese in his food sack. And Simon just makes a great straight man to the Devil.

bunuelian

#88 Post by bunuelian » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:11 pm

I think zedz is on to something in the idea that Bunuel took himself more seriously during his Mexican period. There are plenty of anecdotes about his unhappiness during much of this period, probably a combination of his sense of exile and alcoholism. His Mexican efforts to "cut the eye" have a gravity that shows little interest in humor, while his French work sometimes veers into sheer zaniness, as though they are his idea of an old man making a fart joke.

I would expect that when he began to recover his artistic freedom he knew that he had to protect it by not producing something so radical that it would justify a move by the Mexican establishment to shut him down. But I also think that Bunuel had little interest in cheap vaudeville laughs. His laughter wasn't the mocking variety that dominates Western comedy today. This is especially true of his barbs aimed at the Catholic Church, which were never delivered with even a hint of mockery. He took his disdain for the Church very seriously, and chose his battles carefully.

I strongly encourage anyone who hasn't explored the Mexican films to do so. The vast majority are excellent, and even the more commercially dull films have exquisite moments.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#89 Post by domino harvey » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:18 pm

kaujot wrote:Well, I wasn't expecting to be laughing out loud (something I rarely do during one of his films), but I did expect to find more that tickled me, more in the vein of The Milky Way, I guess. I'll have to give it another viewing.
As someone who rates the Milky Way as Bunuel's best and this as a close second, it saddens me to read you didn't get much out of Simon. I mean, I know comedy's not debatable, but even the very first scene in the movie is a riot: a rich man buying Simon a nicer pedestal to deprive himself upon? Brilliant!

zedz

#90 Post by zedz » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:37 pm

bunuelian wrote:I think zedz is on to something in the idea that Bunuel took himself more seriously during his Mexican period.
Actually, I was trying to say sort of the opposite, so you should credit kaujot with this insight (though it's probably only implicit in his post).
There are plenty of anecdotes about his unhappiness during much of this period, probably a combination of his sense of exile and alcoholism. His Mexican efforts to "cut the eye" have a gravity that shows little interest in humor, while his French work sometimes veers into sheer zaniness, as though they are his idea of an old man making a fart joke.
I see the Mexican films as both darker / tougher and more playful / anarchic - sometimes by turns and sometimes all at once. Generally, I just find them more surprising, while the later French films seem to me to traffic in a more consistent (and maybe calculated, but that's probably unfair) 'Bunuel brand'. I like both modes, but it's the Mexican films that gnaw away at me.

GringoTex

#91 Post by GringoTex » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:32 am

zedz wrote:I see the Mexican films as both darker / tougher and more playful / anarchic - sometimes by turns and sometimes all at once. Generally, I just find them more surprising, while the later French films seem to me to traffic in a more consistent (and maybe calculated, but that's probably unfair) 'Bunuel brand'. I like both modes, but it's the Mexican films that gnaw away at me.
I agree- the French Bunuels are films of a man who's very much at peace with himself and his surroundings and this is expressed through his almost transcendent effortless style. The Mexican films are war zones where anything goes, and Mexican genres are the battlefields. As great as his French films are, I think only Obscure Object carries the pathos of Subida al Cielo, Olvidados, Susana, Illusions, Bruto, El, and Criminal Life.

nsps

#92 Post by nsps » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:32 pm

I agree with Matt that Simon comes off as an arrogant prick, and his holier-than-thou attitude is part of the film's humor. He basically does nothing but stand on his pillar all day and posture, acting superior to those around him.

I remember laughing a great deal during the film, although I haven't watched the Critierion editions yet (got a bit of a backlog at the moment, and decided to give some films I've never seen priority).

GringoTex

#93 Post by GringoTex » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:55 pm

nsps wrote:I agree with Matt that Simon comes off as an arrogant prick, and his holier-than-thou attitude is part of the film's humor. He basically does nothing but stand on his pillar all day and posture, acting superior to those around him.
Bunuel admires this standing on a pillar. It's a surrealist act. It's the herd around Simon that Bunuel is ridiculing.

nsps

#94 Post by nsps » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:44 pm

I agree that Buñuel shows some degree of admiration for Simon's steadfast resolve, but I certainly don't think he lets him off so easily. A "surrealist act" it may be, but Simon isn't doing it to be a surrealist, nor do I think Buñuel views his motives that way. As soon as I rewatch the film (it's been quite a few years), I'll return with either textual support or a change of opinion.

bunuelian

#95 Post by bunuelian » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:15 am

zedz, I took "Oddly enough, I feel like it's in those films that he takes himself (or the idea of himself) more seriously," to mean "that Bunuel took himself more seriously during his Mexican period." But you were expressing an opposite view? I'd enjoy fleshing this idea out, because I think it's quite interesting.

My impression is that Bunuel's late French period was heavily influenced by his close collaboration with Carriere. That seems especially the case in Phantom, at least judging from Carriere's take on things. So at least in part, I chalk up the looser quality of the later films to this collaboration. Not to take anything away from Carriere, who I think deserves a good deal of respect in his own right.

zedz

#96 Post by zedz » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:11 am

bunuelian wrote:zedz, I took "Oddly enough, I feel like it's in those films that he takes himself (or the idea of himself) more seriously," to mean "that Bunuel took himself more seriously during his Mexican period." But you were expressing an opposite view? I'd enjoy fleshing this idea out, because I think it's quite interesting.
That 'those' was supposed to refer to "the French [period]", but I can see how confusing the throwaway phrasing could be. What I was talking about was that idea of the more consistent 'Bunuel brand' that I referred to in the follow-up, whereas the sense I get of the Mexican films is more improvisatory (as David was alluding to with the production constraints) - you never knew where he'd be coming from or going to next.
My impression is that Bunuel's late French period was heavily influenced by his close collaboration with Carriere. That seems especially the case in Phantom, at least judging from Carriere's take on things. So at least in part, I chalk up the looser quality of the later films to this collaboration. Not to take anything away from Carriere, who I think deserves a good deal of respect in his own right.
I agree that Carriere is key to the flavour of that French period. I know it's somewhat counterintuitive, but I don't see the late 'unstructured' French films as 'looser': they seem very calculatedly anti-conventional to me and quite deliberately crafted (by Carriere and Bunuel) in their 'anarchy'. (Which isn't a value judgement)

GringoTex

#97 Post by GringoTex » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:27 am

david hare wrote:instead of making what to me are meaningless value judgements about one block of work being "better" than the other.
Nobody in this thread has done that.

zedz

#98 Post by zedz » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:20 pm

david hare wrote:Gringo, if I'm outta line say so, but the way I read Bunuelian up the page, and by inference Zedz, is that the final French period is qualitatively inferior to the Mexican.
It's always dangerous to traffic in empiricism. I prefer the Mexican period, but that's purely subjective. Or as I put it above:
zedz wrote: I like both modes, but it's the Mexican films that gnaw away at me.
I don't think Bunuelian is dissing the French period either. What we both seem to have in common is that we perceive a distinct stylistic difference between the periods, but we can't even agree on what that is, so take it all with a Lot's wife of salt.
david hare wrote:In any case I think both eras have their low points - not meaning to nark DH 2, but Milky Way is one of the least satisfying Bunuels from the French period, just as Robinson Crusoe is equally less interesting to me from the Mexican period (strictly speaking, in terms of production provenance.)
Even though I prefer the Mexican period, I also think it's a lot more uneven than the French one. More highs, but also more lows: more films!

kaujot

#99 Post by kaujot » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:51 pm

Hey, in 42 years I'll have a nice surprise. ;)

bunuelian

#100 Post by bunuelian » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:41 am

I didn't mean to suggest that the French films are bad - hardly, I absolutely love many of them. I just find the best of the Mexican period to have a certain added pith that for whatever reason the French films lack (with the exception of Obscure Object, subjectively speaking).

Carriere is not the only difference, of course - the French films are higher budget and, critically, have more professional casts. The amateur casts lend qualities to certain of the Mexican films that make them special. They enhance the strangeness of Exterminating Angel, the realism of Los Olvidados and Nazarin, etc. Of course, Bunuel himself was dissatisfied with the quality of actors in many of these films, so perhaps the French films are closer to what he would have made had he been well funded throughout his career. I enjoyed the anecodote on the Exterminating Angel disc (or is it in the booklet?) about his frustration with the way the actors wore their tuxedos.

I find some of the "surreal" moments in the French films to lack the subtlety or psychological impact of the best moments from the Mexican films. Compare Jaibo's amazing dream sequence, with his mother holding out that huge piece of meat, to, say, the soldier's dream in Discreet Charm. Here the stylistic differences account for a lot of why I prefer the dream of Los Olvidados: the cinematography of Jaibo's dream gives it a wonderfully unsettling feel with high contrasts and the gleaming, bloody chunk of flesh along with the lustful mother - this is "true Surrealism" in the classic sense. The solider's story, on the other hand, takes place in an unmasked studio set (perhaps intentional, but uninteresting, if so), and although there's some fun there, it's an intellectual fun ("Why are all these soldiers interrupting their dinner? Why is this soldier's story of his dream even interesting to these people?"). Now, I've always loved that great moment when he realizes that he was talking to a guy who is dead, and then starts to panic and call out for his mother, so it's not to say that this is an especially bad sequence, just that there's a different quality to it that is not as satisfying as what Los Olvidados achieved.