Second Sight Films (UK)

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more
ryannichols7

Re: Second Sight Films (UK)

#951 Post by ryannichols7 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:56 pm

I can't remember if I bought your Heimat or not Swo (someone on here pointed me in the direction of your listing) but after doing so, I'm all in for a second volume release. bring that on...Second Sight's picks usually aren't in my wheelhouse as much, but they generally put out one thing a year or so that's very much up my alley. that would certainly be one!

normally I'd just say "whatever Daniel Bird is involved with, I'll buy" but he's surely all in on their Possession release, and that's a director I've learned is absolutely not for me..

therewillbeblus

#952 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:46 pm

You may be surprised. Żuławski is hit/miss, but that’s one of his more interestingly idiosyncratic efforts worth checking out vacuumed from the rest

GaryC

#953 Post by GaryC » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:24 am

What A Disgrace wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:15 pm
I'm sure the logistics of a Heimat 2 release is formidable. That's at least a 10 disc set, probably more.
Seven on DVD - two episodes per disc with one on the final disc. The episodes are all feature-length but two on a Blu-ray shouldn't be a problem.

AxeYou

#954 Post by AxeYou » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:25 pm

Arthaus in Germany released Heimat 2 on 7 BD-50s: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Die-zwei ... ay/325526/

But given how long it took for their Heimat LE to sell out (I was able to snag a copy in Nov 2022, more than 4 years after its release), I’d be pleasantly surprised if Second Sight finds Heimat 2 profitable.

nicolas

#955 Post by nicolas » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:41 pm

AxeYou wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:25 pm
Arthaus in Germany released Heimat 2 on 7 BD-50s: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Die-zwei ... ay/325526/

But given how long it took for their Heimat LE to sell out (I was able to snag a copy in Nov 2022, more than 4 years after its release), I’d be pleasantly surprised if Second Sight finds Heimat 2 profitable.
There are English subs available online in case anyone needs them for syncing: https://www.opensubtitles.com/subtitles ... ite-heimat

I would sync these with the SC BDs and upload them but sadly don’t have enough time right now. Suffice to say, the SC set is quite nice and the restorations are pristine. Not Second Sight-level in terms of encoding but still solid. A real shame that Heimat 1 didn’t do better for them. I imagine that if they do 2, it’d be a budget / barebones release to keep costs down for them.

TMDaines

#956 Post by TMDaines » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:31 am

Paid a premium for Heimat on eBay recently. Ouch...

rapta

#957 Post by rapta » Sat May 04, 2024 12:45 pm

Someone posted an apparent accidental pack shot image of A Bittersweet Life 4K coming from Second Sight...supposedly Zavvi let it slip. Whether it's real or not remains to be seen of course, but would be very nice if they are releasing it (they did recently announce another Korean title, so I hope they get into more of them).

Finch

#958 Post by Finch » Fri May 17, 2024 12:38 pm

It's official:

A Bittersweet Life 4K

Dual format edition including both UHD and Blu-ray with main feature and bonus features on both discs
A new presentation featuring additional restoration work and UHD Dolby Vision grade by Second Sight Films
New scene specific audio commentary with Director Kim Jee-woon and film academic Areum Jeong
New audio commentary by Pierce Conran and James Marsh
Audio commentary with Director Kim Jee-woon and Actors Kim Young-chul and Lee Byung-hun
Audio commentary with Director Kim Jee-woon, Director of Photography Kim Ji-y and Set Designer Yoo Seong-hee
Making of A Bittersweet Life with optional commentaries
Archive featurettes: Art; Music; Sound; Action; Gun Smith; Special Art; Special Effects; CG; Tell Me Why; A Bittersweet Life in Cannes
Deleted and Alternate Scenes with optional commentary
Music Videos
Teaser, Trailer and TV Spot
Limited Edition Contents

Rigid slipcase with new artwork by Michael Bolland
120-page book with new essays by Dr Lindsay Hallam, Rich Johnson, Michael Leader, Daniel Martin and Alison Peirse
6 collectors' art cards
Catalogue number: 2NDBR4220

Certificate: 18

Region: UHD Region Free / Blu-ray Region B

Language: Korean

Subtitles: English

Audio: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1

Finch

#959 Post by Finch » Thu Jun 20, 2024 4:31 pm

Mifunefan found a leak for Second Sight's August release, a 4K LE and regular edition (presumably Blu ray too) of Adam Wingard's You're Next. I always thought this was a fun thriller.

6/21/24: Blyu-Ray and specs confirmed:
New 4K restoration and HDR Dolby Vision grade approved by Director Adam Wingard
Dual format edition including both UHD and Blu-ray with main feature and bonus features on both discs
New audio commentary with Director Adam Wingard and Writer Simon Barrett
Audio commentary with Adam Wingard, Simon Barrett, Sharni Vinson and Barbara Crampton
Children of the 80s: A new interview with Adam Wingard and Simon Barrett
The Most of Us: A new interview with Producers Keith Calder and Jess Wu Calder
Script as a Blueprint: A new interview with Actor AJ Bowen
Down in the Basement: A new interview with Actor Joe Swanberg
Be Funny and Die: A new interview with Actor Amy Seimetz
Falling into Place: A new interview with Production Designer Tom Hammock
Slashers Don’t Die: Tim Coleman on You’re Next
Who’s Next? The Making of You’re Next
Animated Storyboards

Limited Edition Contents

Rigid slipcase with new artwork by
120-page book with new essays by Martyn Conterio, Andrew Graves, Kurt Halfyard, Alexandra Heller-Nicholas, Shelagh Rowan-Legg and Heather Wixson
6 collectors' art cards

black&huge

#960 Post by black&huge » Thu Jun 20, 2024 4:38 pm

Finch wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2024 4:31 pm
Mifunefan found a leak for Second Sight's August release, a 4K LE and regular edition (presumably Blu ray too) of Adam Wingard's You're Next. I always thought this was a fun thriller.

YES!

therewillbeblus

#961 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Jun 20, 2024 4:39 pm

Nice! I like this one more than most, for some reason. Here's my thoughts from the horror thread:
therewillbeblus wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:15 pm
You're Next: I don’t know what attracts me to this movie, but it’s a kind of guilty pleasure. Perhaps I’m a sucker for a familiar movie not trying to reinvent the wheel but having a good time with little details and tweaks of mechanisms within that wheelhouse. Perhaps it’s the novelty of watching a mumblehorror (sorry) materialize precisely as banal and unspectacular as that sounds, but with a rogue central core in Sharni Vinson as a complete badass breathing life into every scene once the action kicks in (also her nonchalant reveal about her early childhood preparing her exactly for this narrative is self-aware genre gold). Perhaps it’s seeing fellow directors like Joe Swanberg and associated company members (including Ti West, whose The House of the Devil is criminally underrated) pop up excitedly, ironically as contrived characters who are thin by design, indicating an inclusive production of friends getting together to make a horror movie, like a pack of kids having fun, but with budgets and the means to pull it off [The dinner conversation where Swanberg (playing a total douche) taunts Ti West’s participation in “underground” film festivals before declaring “commercials as the height of the art form” is a kind of self-reflexivity that is so obvious it would be annoying if the movie didn’t know it was annoying and said by annoying characters in a satire of the genre dynamics to boot].

Or perhaps it’s just the animal masks.

Is deliberate anti-creativity a kind of creativity itself? This film doesn’t ask such philosophical questions, because it really doesn’t care.

Adam X

#962 Post by Adam X » Sat Jun 22, 2024 1:20 am

The Hitcher Update
The road has been a long one!
We want to thank everyone for their continued patience while we navigated a few bumps in our efforts to do full justice to this classic.
BUT!
Release date and pre-orders will be confirmed in next 2 weeks!

Adam X

#963 Post by Adam X » Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:58 am

In case you've not been keeping track, The Hitcher's now up:

A new 4k restoration by Second Sight Films from the original camera negative supervised and approved by Director Robert Harmon
UHD presented in HDR with Dolby Vision
Features Dolby Atmos and original stereo audio mixes
New audio commentary by Alexandra Heller-Nicholas
Audio commentary with Robert Harmon and Writer Eric Red
Scene specific audio commentary with Robert Harmon, Eric Red, Executive Producer Edward S Feldman, Composer Mark Isham, Director of Photography John Seale and Actors Rutger Hauer and C Thomas Howell
The Projection Booth Podcast: featuring Robert Harmon and Rutger Hauer
Bullseye: a new interview with Robert Harmon (41 Minutes)
Penning the Ripper: a new interview with Eric Red (41 Minutes)
Doomed to Live: a new interview with C Thomas Howell (28 Minutes)
The Man from Oz: a new interview with John Seale (10 Minutes)
A Very Formative Score: a new interview with Mark Isham (15 Minutes)
Duel Runner: Leigh Singer on the evolution of The Hitcher and Rutger Hauer (20 Minutes)
China Lake: a short film by Robert Harmon newly restored (35 Minutes)
The Calling Card: Robert Harmon on China Lake (15 Minutes)
Telephone: a short film by Eric Red (26 Minutes)
The Hitcher: How do these movies get made? (38 Minutes)
Trailers (5 Minutes)

Limited Edition Contents
Rigid slipcase with new artwork by Adam Stothard
200-page hardback book with exclusive Robert Harmon interview by Lou Thomas, exclusive Eric Red interview by Matthew Thrift, new essays by Heather Drain, David Kittredge, Craig Ian Mann, Rebecca McCallum, Meagan Navarro and Jon Towlson, archival Fangoria article and Behind the Scenes photo gallery
Eric Red’s original screenplay book
6 collectors' art cards

jazzo

#964 Post by jazzo » Wed Jul 10, 2024 2:04 pm

And, according to SS's web site, the 4K AND the blu-ray are region-free. There are also standard editions of each.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#965 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jul 10, 2024 2:06 pm

Nice! Was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked this one after the longstanding negative expectations I had due to reading Ebert’s rather ridiculous pearl-clutching pan decades before I actually saw it

jazzo

#966 Post by jazzo » Wed Jul 10, 2024 4:15 pm

It's pretty fucking great, especially if you managed to catch it as a teen in the late-eighties. Harmon creates a real atmosphere of dread and inevitability in the picture, which isn't necessarily something you expect from thrillers like this.

BONES & ALL writer, David Kajganich, has a particularly fascinating episode of The Movies That Made Me podcast about his view and favourite examples of metaphysical cinema, mostly using genre examples that challenge and subvert expectations, and THE HITCHER is rightly one of them: https://moviesthatmademe.com/podcast/david-kajganich/

rapta

#967 Post by rapta » Wed Jul 10, 2024 5:24 pm

Have blind-bought this because I've heard plenty of hype about it and it's been a long road for Second Sight (at least 5 years). I also happen to find Rutger Hauer effortlessly watchable, so why not? I've regretted skipping a few other LEs that Second Sight put out in the past that now fetch ridiculous prices on the reseller market, so will try not make the same mistake this time.

beamish14

#968 Post by beamish14 » Wed Jul 10, 2024 11:11 pm

I’m seriously impressed with the fact that they included the Eric Red short

dwk

#969 Post by dwk » Fri Jul 19, 2024 8:10 pm

Producer Michael Monello said that Second Sight will be releasing The Blair Witch Project in October on a Blair Witch Project Facebook group.
In reference to the Imprint release he said
"DO NOT BUY THIS unless you want all the stuff around Book of Shadows. It hasn't been announced yet, but there is a NEW version of the original film coming out in October with exclusive new content. and for the first time ever the film will look the way it was intended to from the beginning.
Back in 1999, Artisan never consulted us on the transfer and they... I believe the technical term is "fucked it all up" and neither they or Lions Gate ever fixed it. Not even for the Blu-Ray release.
The version coming will stand as the only version that represents the filmmakers complete vision for the film."
and
"This is the company you want to keep an eye on for the announcement of that release, which is currently set for October: https://secondsightfilms.co.uk"

Finch

#970 Post by Finch » Fri Aug 23, 2024 10:36 am

A new Second Sight Films restoration from the Hi8 videotapes and 16mm film elements, supervised and approved by the Producers and Directors
2-disc edition includes restored and remastered Original Theatrical Cut and Festival Cut plus original-release version
The Blair Witch Documentary: a new feature-length Second Sight Films production
New audio commentary by Alexandra Heller-Nicholas and Josh Nelson
Directors' and Producers' audio commentary
Deleted scenes including previously unseen video and 16mm footage
The Blair Witch Project: Analogue Horror in a Digital World by Mike Muncer
Curse of the Blair Witch
Alternate Endings
Cannes 1999: archive Directors interview
Trailers
Limited Edition Contents

Rigid slipcase with new artwork by Timothy Pittides
184-page hardback book with archive production materials and new essays by Stacey Abbott, Becky Darke, Adam Hart, Craig Ian Mann, Mary Beth McAndrews, Dr. Cecilia Sayad, Pete Turner and Heather Wixson
Heather’s Journal
3 collectors' art cards
UHD presented in HDR with Dolby Vision
New audio commentary by Alexandra Heller-Nicholas and Josh Nelson
Bringing Their 'A' Game: an interview with Directors' Colin Cairnes and Cameron Cairnes
Mind if I Smoke?: an interview with Actor Ian Bliss
We're Gonna Make a Horror Movie: an interview with Actor Ingrid Torelli
Extremely Lucky: an interview with Actor Rhys Auteri
Cult Hits: Zoë Rose Smith on Late Night with the Devil
Behind the Scenes with the Devil
The Making of the Night Owls Music
South by Southwest 2023 Q&A with David Dastmalchian, Colin Cairnes and Cameron Cairnes
Limited Edition Contents

Rigid slipcase with new artwork by Haley Turnbull
120-page book with behind the scenes images, storyboards and new essays by Kat Hughes, James Rose, Rebecca Sayce, Graham Skipper, Julieann Stipidis and Emma Westwood
6 collectors' art cards