New Wave Films (UK)

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
rapta

Re: New Wave Films (UK)

#401 Post by rapta » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:03 am

Yeah I saw that too. Understandable, as it would be expensive to release all three on Blu-ray.

I hope they still manage to release Cemetery of Splendour on Blu-ray (and Mountains May Depart too, possibly with the Salles doc as an extra or on a separate disc).

RossyG

#402 Post by RossyG » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:20 am

It may be HD on UK iTunes, which is an alternative for us region locked Luddites.

What A Disgrace

#403 Post by What A Disgrace » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:27 pm

Cemetery of Splendour and Behemoth in October, according to Amazon, both listed only as DVDs for now.

EDIT: New Wave indicates on their Facebook that a Blu-ray of Cemetery is indeed forthcoming.

rapta

#404 Post by rapta » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:48 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:Cemetery of Splendour and Behemoth in October, according to Amazon, both listed only as DVDs for now.

EDIT: New Wave indicates on their Facebook that a Blu-ray of Cemetery is indeed forthcoming.
Yeah I asked them some months back about Cemetery of Splendour and they confirmed there and then it would get a Blu-ray (great news!) but were more vague about Arabian Nights and Mountains May Depart at that time. It's clear now that Arabian Nights is going to be DVD-only (and understandably - a triple Blu-ray would have been a challenge, sales-wise), but I hope they still consider the Jia film for Blu-ray.

I think they also have the Walter Salles documentary about him, which they could easily include as an extra (much like the long making-of for Winter Sleep). There's already too little Jia on UK Blu-ray - only The World (MoC) and A Touch of Sin (Arrow Films) - so any more would be much appreciated. I've heard great things about the film as well, though that's not exactly a surprise!

Aunt Peg

#405 Post by Aunt Peg » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:57 pm

I'm thrilled Cemetery of Splendour will be getting a Blu Ray release. A definite buy from me. Also hoping for a Mountains May Depart Blu Ray release as well.

Purchased Arabian Knights Blu Ray from the US. Due any day now. Was very disappointed that it didn't receive a UK Blu Ray release but I can understand why from a commercial perspective.

rapta

#406 Post by rapta » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:39 am

Aunt Peg wrote:I'm thrilled Cemetery of Splendour will be getting a Blu Ray release. A definite buy from me. Also hoping for a Mountains May Depart Blu Ray release as well.

Purchased Arabian Knights Blu Ray from the US. Due any day now. Was very disappointed that it didn't receive a UK Blu Ray release but I can understand why from a commercial perspective.
Hopefully the next Gomes film will get a Blu-ray though. Dunno how well Tabu sold though, to be honest.

I guess we won't find out about Mountains May Depart until it's out in cinemas. Jia is a little less well-known than Weerasethakul though, so they may well just do a DVD (which would obviously be a shame). I hope they consider what I said before - a Blu-ray release with the Salles documentary as a bonus feature on the same disc.

What A Disgrace

#407 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:54 pm

It seems Albert Serra's The Death of Louis IV has been acquired by New Wave Films.

Aunt Peg

#408 Post by Aunt Peg » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:26 am

What A Disgrace wrote:It seems Albert Serra's The Death of Louis IV has been acquired by New Wave Films.
Great film. Really hope it gets the Blu-Ray treatment.

Any word on Mountains May Depart. Hasn't turned up at the cinema or home video yet?

AidanKing

#409 Post by AidanKing » Thu May 18, 2017 10:38 am

My Golden Days seems to be missing too. It would be nice to see that and Mountains May Depart released, especially as the latter was supposed to also feature Walter Salles' documentary on Jia on the DVD/BluRay. It's unfortunate that New Wave hasn't been able to release some of its acquisitions, especially as it didn't appear that any other distributors were interested in the films in question, but hopefully they are not permanently missing in action.

I think The Death of Louis XIV is scheduled for a cinema release in June, at least.

Aunt Peg

#410 Post by Aunt Peg » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:44 pm

The Death of Louis XIV is to be released on DVD in October.

The Amazon page has the 'studio' as Drakes Avenue Pictures?

Slack Bay (DVD only) to be released in September.

Doesn't look as if a blu rays are forthcoming in the UK for these titles. Will have to wait for the U.S. releases.

AidanKing

#411 Post by AidanKing » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:29 am

New Wave appears to be distributing Lucrecia Martel's Zama and Valeska Grisebach's Western next year. I hope the company continues in business as long as possible as, when it is gone, it's this type of film (Albert Serra's The Death of Louis XIV being another example) that seems likely to disappear from UK distribution.

rapta

#412 Post by rapta » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:05 pm

AidanKing wrote:New Wave appears to be distributing Lucrecia Martel's Zama and Valeska Grisebach's Western next year. I hope the company continues in business as long as possible as, when it is gone, it's this type of film (Albert Serra's The Death of Louis XIV being another example) that seems likely to disappear from UK distribution.
I too hope they survive, but if they don't I do wonder if other UK labels will step in, or perhaps even prop them up. I notice Jia Zhangke's recent Mountains Will Depart ended up going to Arrow in the end, as did the Salles documentary on the director, both of which were with New Wave originally.

Interested to see Zama especially. Very few of their titles have been making it to Blu-ray, but I was very keen on getting Cemetery of Splendour when it was released (grateful for that; other UK labels seem to be slacking on Apichatpong in HD).

Aunt Peg

#413 Post by Aunt Peg » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:20 am

New Wave have released Bruno Dumont's Joan of Arc & Jeannette 2 disc DVD edition. Would have been nice to have a Blu Ray release of both films but I'll take what I can get.

accatone

#414 Post by accatone » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:53 pm

Aunt Peg wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:20 am
New Wave have released Bruno Dumont's Joan of Arc & Jeannette 2 disc DVD edition. Would have been nice to have a Blu Ray release of both films but I'll take what I can get.
Thanks for the info! Have only seen the first one on arte TV and liked it a lot!

Aunt Peg

#415 Post by Aunt Peg » Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:52 am

NewWave have released The Invisible Life of Eurídice Gusmão (2019) on Blu Ray a few days ago.

Great film that sort of got lost with the pandemic. Great to see it finally show up on Blu Ray (Amazon hold the US rights). Can't believe it is two years and a half years since I saw the film - seems like only yesterday.

nitin

#416 Post by nitin » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:08 am

Thanks for reminding me to pick that up, I too really liked the film when I saw at MIFF in 2019.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#417 Post by swo17 » Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:22 am

Aunt Peg wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:52 am
NewWave have released The Invisible Life of Eurídice Gusmão (2019) on Blu Ray a few days ago.

Great film that sort of got lost with the pandemic.
This was worth seeing even if only for the fantastic score. The film's not bad either