New Wave Films (UK)

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
fatboyslim142

Re: New Wave Films (UK)

#351 Post by fatboyslim142 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:13 am

Is it possible for one company to own the rights to a film version (ie. shorter version) of a TV series & another one to own the TV series rights?

MichaelB

#352 Post by MichaelB » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:24 am

fatboyslim142 wrote:Is it possible for one company to own the rights to a film version (ie. shorter version) of a TV series & another one to own the TV series rights?
Absolutely, if the rightsholder wants to arrange things that way. It's entirely their call.

knives

#353 Post by knives » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:17 pm

I believe this even happened recently in the US with Herzog's Death Row series.

zedz

#354 Post by zedz » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:01 pm

knives wrote:I believe this even happened recently in the US with Herzog's Death Row series.
I don't think that's quite the same situation. Even though they arose from the same overall project, there's no overlap in content between Death Row and Into the Abyss.

But there are indeed lots of examples of the two versions not being licensed together, even though this more often leads to only one version being available in a given territory (e.g. Theatrical Vincent and Theo in the US; TV Vincent and Theo in the UK - same distribution with The Trip). It was rumoured that Out 1 and Out 1: Spectre were currently licenced to different US companies, but at this juncture that's still a moot point, not to mention a sore one.

EDIT: Pure speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if rightsholders divide up the rights for different versions in the hope that they'll be able to sell both in the same territory (or extract more for a double whammy), but commercial realities mean that this is seldom a goer. Also, in the case of theatrical reductions, these will very often have been presold to a theatrical distributor (very likely the case with The Trip), and the attendant DVD release rights will already be tied up with that deal - which the original TV cut would never have been a part of.

fatboyslim142

#355 Post by fatboyslim142 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:10 am

MichaelB wrote:
fatboyslim142 wrote:Is it possible for one company to own the rights to a film version (ie. shorter version) of a TV series & another one to own the TV series rights?
Absolutely, if the rightsholder wants to arrange things that way. It's entirely their call.
I was wondering as I'd like to see someone release the TV mini-series version of Raul Ruiz's 'The Mysteries of Lisbon' in the UK otherwise I'll have to get the subtitled European DVD release.

zedz

#356 Post by zedz » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:56 pm

fatboyslim142 wrote:I was wondering as I'd like to see someone release the TV mini-series version of Raul Ruiz's 'The Mysteries of Lisbon' in the UK otherwise I'll have to get the subtitled European DVD release.
Since the film has been released in the UK already, and only in the theatrical cut, I'd say that this ship has long since sailed. The Portugese edition is superb and completely English-friendly, so order away.

GaryC

#357 Post by GaryC » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:32 am

zedz wrote:
fatboyslim142 wrote:I was wondering as I'd like to see someone release the TV mini-series version of Raul Ruiz's 'The Mysteries of Lisbon' in the UK otherwise I'll have to get the subtitled European DVD release.
Since the film has been released in the UK already, and only in the theatrical cut, I'd say that this ship has long since sailed. The Portugese edition is superb and completely English-friendly, so order away.
In cases like this, there's a chance that someone like BBC Four might show the miniseries, but as zedz has said it's unlikely now that it would come out on disc in the UK. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Swedish film version) and sequels were reissued on disc in their TV miniseries versions, but they have a much higher audience than a Raul Ruiz film, needless to say.

MichaelB

#358 Post by MichaelB » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:01 am

Sky Arts showed the miniseries version in the UK, so I doubt BBC4 has the rights.

repeat

#359 Post by repeat » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:52 am

All pre-October releases are 30% off at the VivaVerve shop! (The discount will be applied to the grand total when you check out)

newwavefilms

#360 Post by newwavefilms » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:28 pm

MichaelB wrote:Sky Arts showed the miniseries version in the UK, so I doubt BBC4 has the rights.
They - BBC4 - actually turned it down much to our chagrin, hence the sale to Sky. So it's impossible that it will turn up on the BBC for a few years yet.

Finch

#361 Post by Finch » Tue May 20, 2014 9:07 am

According to this tweet, NWF have acquired Winter Sleep for UK release, with a Blu-Ray to follow after theatrical.

warren oates

Re: Norte, the End of History (Lav Diaz, 2014)

#362 Post by warren oates » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:51 pm

newwavefilms wrote:Just to confirm Norte, the End of History will be released by us on DVD and Blu-ray Sept 29
So Cinema Guild declined to release a U.S. Blu-ray of this title due to the prohibitive costs of producing physical media that properly presented the visual quality consumers expect in an HD release for such a long film. How does New Wave plan to get around this issue? Will the film be split between two dual-layer 50g Blu-rays? Is there any way to juggle the bit rates and compression such that a single Blu-ray would be sufficient?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#363 Post by swo17 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:11 pm

The Amazon listing says that New Wave's release will be on one disc. It's a 4 hr 10 min movie. That's probably pushing the limits of a Blu-ray disc but not necessarily going too far. It will be interesting to see the reviews.

zedz

#364 Post by zedz » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:47 pm

I thought four hours was well within the range of a decent quality BluRay. Hasn't Criterion issued a number of Blus with that amount of video content?

EDIT: Quick selection of single disc Criterion Blus with way more than four hours of content:
Kagemusha (280+ minutes)
Marketa Lazarova (290+ minutes)
Nashville (280+ minutes)
Monsoon Wedding (360+ minutes!)

And The Last Emperor disc had its problems, but it somehow managed to accommodate over 250 minutes of HD material plus more than 2 hours of SD.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#366 Post by swo17 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:16 pm

Looks great! Just out of curiosity, does a wide ratio like this generally mean that a BD can comfortably hold more or less content than usual?

McCrutchy

#367 Post by McCrutchy » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:54 pm

I did not realize how special a BD of Norte: The End of History would be.

Pre-ordered from vivavere here.

perkizitore

#368 Post by perkizitore » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:13 pm

Zavvi sells it for the same price plus shipping is cheaper or free (depending on location)

McCrutchy

#369 Post by McCrutchy » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:18 pm

swo17 wrote:Looks great! Just out of curiosity, does a wide ratio like this generally mean that a BD can comfortably hold more or less content than usual?
More.

MichaelB

#370 Post by MichaelB » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:50 pm

The more the 16:9-shaped screen is filled, the more space is needed. Which by the same token means that both Academy and Scope films need less space.

4 hours 10 mins of Scope will easily fit on a Blu-ray, especially if the film isn't especially fast-moving.

manicsounds

#371 Post by manicsounds » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:22 pm

Too bad "Norte" has only 1 extra, a trailer...

Grand Wazoo

#372 Post by Grand Wazoo » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:45 pm

MichaelB wrote:4 hours 10 mins of Scope will easily fit on a Blu-ray, especially if the film isn't especially fast-moving.
Do you mean that if there is more movement within the frame or movement of the camera in the film, the file size grows? Could you explain why that is?

MichaelB

#373 Post by MichaelB » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:54 am

Because video compression involves recording the differences between successive frames. So the fewer differences there are, the smaller the file will be.

(Although of course issues like film grain can complicate matters here.)

David M.

#374 Post by David M. » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:21 pm

Actually this is an interesting point. It doesn't 100% hold true on BD (or any other media which requires instant access). On the 1080p/24 format, BD requires a whole image (I-frame) is sent once every second. Not hugely efficient, but it allows for cheap players.

Regarding space savings with letterboxed or pillarboxed content, it depends on the rate control method. If the level of quantization (which in this case means the amount of detail dropped for the purposes of compression) was constant, that would hold true. Disc space isn't an issue on BD though but when it is, almost everyone is using 2-pass variable bit rate which is the most efficient way of making sure the bits get spent where they're needed most. In other words, the bitrate is going to be set at a certain level (say 30mbps) anyway; if the content is letterboxed it just means that the actual picture is going to be quantized less (all else being equal) to meet the target rate since the black borders take up no space.

Although as an annoying aside: boxed-in content can actually need bitrate increases because of the difficulty of encoding the transition between the bars and the picture. You'll sometimes see the picture shifted up or down (or left or right) by a few pixels to better align to block boundaries for that reason.

BTW, if you want to see an example of media that doesn't have I-frames every second, go on YouTube and look at one of those videos which is music accompanied by a still image. Because the encoder sees the content isn't moving, and because the transmission system doesn't have to be limited by how much the laser can pull off the disc each second (it's limited by network bandwidth which is usually WAY worse!), the I-frame distance can be absolutely huge which as Michael suggests above is extremely efficient. It just means that you have to wait ages when you want to skip to a random point in the video for it to find the next I-frame. (Or if you're using VLC Media Player, it just starts decoding anyway and you see mispredicted images until the next I-frame).

TMDaines

#375 Post by TMDaines » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:00 am

Struggling to find a review for Caeser Must Die / Cesare deve morire:

A) Are the subtitles optional?

B) Are there any extras?
  • DVD includes 40 minutes behind the scenes and interviews with the actors and directors.
C) Was this film released on Blu-ray anywhere?

Edit: I answered B through their website. Still looking for A and C.