Carlotta Releases

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
zedz

Re: Carlotta Releases

#126 Post by zedz » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:49 pm

htom wrote:
tenia wrote:Oshima boxset confirmed : 9 movies, 6 DVDs, 3 BDs, release date : March 11th.
Only 3 movies in HD : La pendaison, Le petit garçon et La cérémonie.
So only Death by Hanging, Boy and The Cermony in Blu. Does this mean that In The Realm of the Senses is not part of this set?
That was a French production with completely different distribution, and is already available to anybody who wants it. This set is essentially the long-awaited ATG titles, and is an extremely big deal. This being Carlotta, don't hold your breath for English subs. But here's hoping some friendlier label ports these over.

knives

#127 Post by knives » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:12 pm

It probably means we'll be getting a similar set from Crit soon though as they definitely have Boy and are working on it.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#128 Post by tenia » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:59 am

htom wrote:Does this mean that In The Realm of the Senses is not part of this set?
It's licenced by Arte in France and available on BD thee since Nov 2009, so it certainly wouldn't be part of this Carlotta set.

I also wouldn't expect Eng subs. I don't recall a single Carlotta BD release (nor DVD FWIW) with Eng subs.

Numero Trois

#129 Post by Numero Trois » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:37 am

repeat wrote:but most of all, Le Prince de Hombourg: is this the Kleist adaptation by Marco Bellocchio? Anyone seen it?
Definetly one of Bellocchio's better latter day films. He keeps it very straightforward and at 80 minutes running time, succinct. It has the fastest tempo by far of any of the films I've seen of his. Mostly a chamber piece with a handful of small battle scenes thrown in. And a solid performance by the highly charismatic Andrea Di Stefano. Worth the time. Needless to say, stay away from the Facets version.

repeat

#130 Post by repeat » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:14 am

Great, thanks for that - looking forward to this release! Some of my favorite Bellocchio films are actually recent works, like My Mother's Smile and Good Morning Night (and I also liked Dormant Beauty very much). Kleist is notoriously difficult to adapt, but I can imagine Bellocchio being able to capture that heightened, frenzied feel of his writing. (Arnaud des Pallières did a remarkably poor job of it recently with his Michael Kohlhaas - or rather, he didn't even try, but instead removed Kleist from the equation altogether, along with crucial bits of the story...)

Numero Trois

#131 Post by Numero Trois » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:35 am

repeat wrote:but I can imagine Bellocchio being able to capture that heightened, frenzied feel of his writing.
Bellocchio has always struck me as a reserved director, in some cases (La Balia) to a fault. In Homburg's case, Di Stefano does most of the emoting given his lead role. The rest of the cast underplays it significantly. I haven't read the source material yet. The Wikipedia article for the play does reflect what you're referring to in the challenges of performing it. It's just that it's hard to detect anything frenzied in the film given how naturalistic and breezy the performances are overall. Even with Crivellli's score in consideration. It doesn't seem to me that Bellocchio meant to approach the film from that angle; there's drama there, but nothing with that level of intensity.

Good Morning, Night is no doubt my favorite of his, probably even more than his debut feature. Like I mentioned a few times elsewhere, a perfect aesthetic counterpoint to The Baader Meinhof Complex in every possible way. Also worth the time is Rigoletto from Mantua. Doesn't seem to be online anymore, but well worth seeking out even if the event wasn't something completely his. The whole cast was firing on all cylinders for that broadcast, not to mention Storaro.

whaleallright

#132 Post by whaleallright » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:52 am

does Carlotta usually include removable French subtitles on English-language releases? I wonder if their Bonjour Tristesse will be an improvement over the Twilight Time...

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#133 Post by Drucker » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:52 am

Yes. Their Borzage titles and The River, which I own, have removable subs.

carax09

#134 Post by carax09 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:54 pm

From an email I received today:
Finally, we are absolutely thrilled to announce a huge event from Carlotta Films US with the release of Jacques RIVETTE'S French New Wave masterpiece: OUT 1. For the first time ever, on DCP and in a glorious new 2K restoration. A cinematic adventure and journey will take place at the end of this year for the first time in the US on such a grand scale... Stay tuned for more...

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#135 Post by Drucker » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:56 pm

Fantastic. The only question at this point is who will put it out in the UK, as well. Hopefully MOC!

This is going to be a box-set type situation, right? Based on the film's length?

Red Screamer

#136 Post by Red Screamer » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:30 pm

carax09 wrote:From an email I received today:
Finally, we are absolutely thrilled to announce a huge event from Carlotta Films US with the release of Jacques RIVETTE'S French New Wave masterpiece: OUT 1. For the first time ever, on DCP and in a glorious new 2K restoration. A cinematic adventure and journey will take place at the end of this year for the first time in the US on such a grand scale... Stay tuned for more...
yyyyyyyeeeeeeesssssssss
I never thought it would land at Carlotta but I'm not complaining

cinemartin

#137 Post by cinemartin » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:26 pm

That's amazing - wondering if they're doing Spectre as well?

Jean-Luc Garbo

#138 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:40 pm

The email said DCP. Will the dvd or (one hopes) blu see a release this year as well?

carax09

#139 Post by carax09 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:11 pm

Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:The email said DCP. Will the dvd or (one hopes) blu see a release this year as well?
If I had to guess, I'd say we probably won't see the home video release until sometime in 2016, based on Carlotta's track record with the early Carax films and Othello, but it's still nice to know its in the pipeline.

cinemartin

#140 Post by cinemartin » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:13 pm

What I'd like to know is what theater is going to be showing this? When I saw it, it was over 2 days and they have us sandwiches!

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#141 Post by tenia » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:15 am

From Fabien Braule :
OUT 1 will be released in a BD boxset and a DVD boxset.
The boxset will contain Noli Me Tangere & Spectre in 2K restorations.
I've asked if everything will be on BD in HD or if it will be a DVD/BD mixture like the recent Oshima boxset.

EDIT : got my answer :
There will be most likely 2 separate boxset, one for BD and one for DVD. All the episodes of Noli Me Tangere and Spectre in HD in the BD boxset.
2015 looks like an incredible year.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#142 Post by domino harvey » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:20 pm

Most importantly, can we find out if English subs will be included?

nick
grace thought I was a failure

#143 Post by nick » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:03 pm

I think this is Carlotta US so English subtitles would be standard.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#144 Post by tenia » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:42 pm

This annoucement was for a French Boxset. So far, I haven't seen any overlap between Carlotta French BD and their US one except Sidewalk Stories which is silent... So it's hard to say right now if Carlotta will include Eng subs. I can ask, though.

Red Screamer

#145 Post by Red Screamer » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:03 pm

Well Carlotta Films US is distributing the DCP later this year so I assume they'll also put out a box set

nick
grace thought I was a failure

#146 Post by nick » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:17 pm

Sorry, I thought that this was a continuation of the Carlotta Films US conversation mentioned above.

cinemartin

#147 Post by cinemartin » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:20 pm

I'm a little confused about where this is going to be released theatrically - or more importantly, how?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#148 Post by tenia » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:48 am

More info from Fabien :
The boxsets will be available in France and in the USA (under Cartlotta US) with English subs. There will also be theatrical showings in both territories.

martin

#149 Post by martin » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:17 pm

Has anyone seen the DVD of Antonioni's LE MYSTERE D'OBERWALD? What's the PQ and the AR? I once saw this film in a heavily cropped 16:9 version (a Spanish DVD was also 16:9 if I'm not mistaken?).

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#150 Post by tenia » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:51 pm

I don't have the Oberwald DVD myself but have understood it does not have a good PQ at all, which is the reason why I never bought it. Not sure about the AR, though.