Gaumont French Releases

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Perkins Cobb

Re: Gaumont French Releases

#301 Post by Perkins Cobb » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:48 pm

So The Aristocrats and Marie-Antoinette have English subs, according to Blu-ray.com and Amazon. Sadly not Les Patates or Eugenio, which looked interesting.

perkizitore

#302 Post by perkizitore » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:38 pm

Are there any reviews for their Papatakis blu-ray set?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#303 Post by tenia » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:16 am

perkizitore wrote:Are there any reviews for their Papatakis blu-ray set?
Sadly, I won't be reviewing the set for Retro HD because we didn't received any check discs for it (unfortunately, Gaumont hasn't sent us anything since October). Maybe Svet will get some and review the set for Blu-ray.com.

Raymond Marble

#304 Post by Raymond Marble » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:53 pm

Is there a good option for an American to import DVDs from France apart from Amazon (which I don't like, but often resort to for import DVDs) or eBay (which I've gotten a few too many bootlegs as a result of)? I ask this as I'm looking into importing a set or two of Gaumont's Michel Deville releases.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#305 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:30 pm

Daaveedee is a good stateside distro. You'll pay a premium, of course, but often once international shipping is (or rather, isn't) factored in, it's not as big a sticker shock as it seems.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#306 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:49 pm

Also to take into consideration is that La Poste has just hiked its international tarif up by 12%. A single DVD costs 7 Euros to the US for example

FrauBlucher

#307 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:37 am

FrauBlucher

#308 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun May 15, 2016 12:14 am

If anyone picks up Atlantic City, please post thoughts on the presentation. Or if anyone sees a review, a post of it would be kindly appreciated. :)

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#309 Post by tenia » Sun May 15, 2016 11:52 am

I have check discs from Gaumont for the 3 latest Malle which I need to review very soon, so I should be able to give a quick feedback within the next days (hopefully).
Worst case, I'll just post a few screen caps.

RossyG

#310 Post by RossyG » Sun May 15, 2016 2:38 pm

Can you confirm if Atlantic City and Black Moon have English soundtracks? Amazon.fr say they have just French tracks. And if they do, can they be played without French subtitles? Thanks.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#311 Post by tenia » Sun May 15, 2016 3:10 pm

There are both French and English tracks for Atlantic City & Black Moon.

RossyG

#312 Post by RossyG » Sun May 15, 2016 3:40 pm

Ah, many thanks.

Aunt Peg

#313 Post by Aunt Peg » Tue May 17, 2016 3:24 am

tenia wrote:There are both French and English tracks for Atlantic City & Black Moon.
When playing the films in English are there forced subtitles?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#314 Post by tenia » Tue May 17, 2016 7:25 am

Shucks, I should have checked that at the same time.
Most likely are optional (I can't recall a Gaumont BD having forced subs), but I'll double check tonight.

Aunt Peg

#315 Post by Aunt Peg » Tue May 17, 2016 5:14 pm

tenia wrote:Shucks, I should have checked that at the same time.
Most likely are optional (I can't recall a Gaumont BD having forced subs), but I'll double check tonight.
Thanks so much.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#316 Post by tenia » Tue May 17, 2016 6:09 pm

I confirm subs are optional. The menu allows you for both titles to choose both the soundtrack and the subs (or whether you want some or not).
The only subtitles available are French and French SDH.

Aunt Peg

#317 Post by Aunt Peg » Wed May 18, 2016 8:10 am

tenia wrote:I confirm subs are optional. The menu allows you for both titles to choose both the soundtrack and the subs (or whether you want some or not).
The only subtitles available are French and French SDH.
Thanks so much Tenia.

I'll order these along with Cosmos with is also English friendly with optional subtitling.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#318 Post by tenia » Wed May 18, 2016 8:21 am

Somebody asked me about it, but I thought this might interest other people as well :

I only had a quick look at Black Moon this morning. It looks quite good in terms of PQ and grain management, in line with most of the Gaumont 2K Eclair-made restorations. Looking at blu-ray.com's screen caps of the Criterion, I'd say it looks finer and it's the usual "more recent restoration VS older restoration" competition. The Criterion seems coarser (again, judging from the caps).
However, the Gaumont certainly looks much warmer than what I'm seeing here for the Criterion. It's not annoyingly yellow, but it's certainly more yellow and warmer as a whole. I have no idea what is correct.

I'd tend to say you can probably go ahead. Maybe the color timing could be a concern, but otherwise, I don't think the PQ will disappoint you.

The extras on both Black Moon and Atlantic City are quite short, though. Apart from the trailers, there only is a 20 min documentary for each of them. Gaumont's docs used to be about twice as long.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#319 Post by tenia » Mon May 23, 2016 7:06 pm

I had a look at Atlantic City, and it looks rather good too. It has less of a color timing bias, though it seems a tad cold and a bit too bright to me. Otherwise, it's fine.

Les amants is unfortunately another Gaumont / B&W Malle disaster. It's not bad as Lift to the Scaffold which was combining poor compression and green chroma issues, but it has the poorest black restitution I've ever seen. DVD Classik have posted some screen caps and mine match theirs : every single black elements in the frame (being in a normally lit shot or a low-lit one) is crushed to death, to the point any low-lit shot looks like an undescriptible blob. It doesn't have the chroma issues however.

The Lovers also have compression issues, but much less severe. However, it has the same chroma issues visible on Lift to the Scaffolds.

I have absolutely no clue what is going on on these titles that they have to get such appallingly bad encodes which are nowhere like what Gaumont have been doing so far. They had issues with black levels, but never so much with encodes, and I failed to understand why specifically Malle's B&W movies are getting beaten like that.

jsteffe

#320 Post by jsteffe » Mon May 23, 2016 8:23 pm

Out of curiosity, who actually conducted these restorations? Assuming they are in fact restorations...

FrauBlucher

#321 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon May 23, 2016 8:59 pm

tenia wrote:I had a look at Atlantic City, and it looks rather good too. It has less of a color timing bias, though it seems a tad cold and a bit too bright to me. Otherwise, it's fine.
It is not a particularly warm looking film. It has that 70s film stock look. It's kind of cool with slightly muted colors. I guess the Gaumont restoration engineers thinks it was a bright film. I don't remember it being that way.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#322 Post by tenia » Tue May 24, 2016 2:07 am

jsteffe wrote:Out of curiosity, who actually conducted these restorations? Assuming they are in fact restorations...
They obviously are recent 2K restorations, more likely conducted at Eclair for/by Gaumont. No additionnal info is available, sadly.

L.A.

#323 Post by L.A. » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:09 pm

Can anyone confirm that is the Coffret Nico Papatakis Blu-ray set English-friendly?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#324 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:32 pm

zedz

#325 Post by zedz » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:29 pm

Yes, the features, all the extras (except the audio-only discs) and the big book are all English-friendly.