DVD Giveaway: Jules Dassin's THE LAW

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
mmacklem

Re: DVD Giveaway: Jules Dassin's THE LAW

#26 Post by mmacklem » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:42 am

I loved the Naked City when I saw it several months ago, but I have to confess that I appear to have completely forgotten almost everything about it since then. I saw it as part of a double-feature with Green For Danger, which I liked less at the time but which I can still remember vividly. How odd.

gargan2a

#27 Post by gargan2a » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:44 am

"Rififi" - Francois Truffaut's favorite noir of all time - If it's good enough for him, well....

criterionoop

#28 Post by criterionoop » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:03 am

My favorite Jules Dassin film is Never on Sunday because it represents two of his majors loves: that of Greece, and that of the beautiful Melina Mercouri. What transpires in the film is a 91 minute immersion into the culture of Greece (the arts, the drinks, the women, etc) and never before has a woman portrayed a character so fragile and so steadfast that she could deliver a song like "Ta Paidia Tou Piraia" with such emotional resonance, the likes of which has no parallel.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#29 Post by cdnchris » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:30 pm

From Oscilloscope Laboratories:

"Congratulations MURDOCH on winning a free copy of THE LAW courtesy of Oscilloscope Laboratories! We couldn't agree more that NIGHT AND THE CITY is Dassin's best film (besides the one we put out, of course). Thanks everyone else for entering, y'all can find THE LAW in stores this coming Tuesday, September 28th: http://www.oscilloscope.net/shop/view_f ... &r=gallery" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"