Twilight Time / Redwind

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Calvin

Re: Twilight Time

#76 Post by Calvin » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:23 pm

Perhaps it's high profile but I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the DVD only sold around TT's 3000 unit print run (or less). Though I certainly wouldn't complain if Criterion released it!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#77 Post by domino harvey » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:12 pm

Jacques Tourneur's Anne of the Indies too has just been confirmed as forthcoming via the increasingly chatty Twilight Time Facebook page

Perkins Cobb

#78 Post by Perkins Cobb » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:24 pm

domino harvey wrote:Jacques Tourneur's Anne of the Indies too has just been confirmed as forthcoming via the increasingly chatty Twilight Time Facebook page
Too late, bought the Spanish import. Don't know that Lady of Shanghai is that high on my Blu upgrade list; I'd rather see them open new territory with The Only Game in Town.

Jeff

#79 Post by Jeff » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:14 pm

Don't recall Bite the Bullet showing up in any of the Westerns List discussion. Online critical consensus is inconclusive; Ebert and Variety loved it, Canby hated it. There's not much out there. Can anyone speak on the film's behalf? Love the cast and Brooks was certainly capable of greatness, but this film wasn't even on my radar until Twilight Time picked it up.

Jeff

#80 Post by Jeff » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:58 pm

Pal Joey, Swamp Water, and Rapture arrived today. I've only had a chance to take a look at Pal Joey so far, and the transfer is incredible.

knives

#81 Post by knives » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:03 pm

I can only imagine, if I weren't so comfortable with the present disc I'd have picked that up too. Rapture's just insanely gorgeous though.

perkizitore

#83 Post by perkizitore » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:33 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#84 Post by domino harvey » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:45 pm

Yep, that's how I saw it first-- gave it away once the Blu-ray announcement was made

Calvin

#85 Post by Calvin » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:48 pm

May/June releases

Wow, never expected to see them release As Good As It Gets.
Last edited by Calvin on Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#86 Post by domino harvey » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:55 pm

Jesus God, why the fuck would they be releasing As Good As It Gets? Surely that belongs in Walmart bins across the nation?

Calvin

#87 Post by Calvin » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:13 pm

Well the good news (or bad, depending on if you're a fan of the TT limited model) is that considering As Good as It Gets made $314m dollars and won Best Actor and Best Actress at the Oscars, it looks like no film is too big for Sony to licence out.

knives

#88 Post by knives » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:17 pm

The Wayward Bus any good?

colinr0380

#89 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:13 pm

Calvin wrote:It looks like no film is too big for Sony to licence out.
I assume that Twilight Time just looked at Sony and took away reason and accountability, and then decided to release it.

Jeff

#90 Post by Jeff » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:28 pm

Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:Is Swamp Water really BD only?
Blu-ray only
Fright Night
Mysterious Island
Rapture
Picnic
The Roots of Heaven
Swamp Water
Pal Joey
Bite the Bullet
Demetrius and the Gladiators
Bell, Book, and Candle
Desiree
Journey to the Center of the Earth
The Big Heat
The Wayward Bus
As Good As It Gets

DVD only
The Kremlin Letter
Fate is the Hunter
Violent Saturday
Woman Obsessed
The Flim-Flam Man
My Cousin Rachel
Stagecoach (1966)
The Left Hand of God

Both DVD and Blu-ray
The Egyptian

They look to be going Blu only for the foreseeable future (no DVDs since November of last year). They have stated on Facebook that their deal with Sony stipulates that they can only release Blu-rays of films that are currently in print on DVD.

Dumbfounded by their desire to release As Good as It Gets, though I doubt they'll have trouble moving 3,000 units.

knives

#91 Post by knives » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:16 pm

It's probably telling you forgot The Left Hand of God. Also the logic for As Good as It Gets is pretty clear to me. It's the same as what Redman outlined with Fright Night, they need some guaranteed sellers so as to afford the big losers. They're almost consistently in the red on titles.

Jeff

#92 Post by Jeff » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:46 pm

knives wrote:It's probably telling you forgot The Left Hand of God.
Oops. Edited that in.
knives wrote:Also the logic for As Good as It Gets is pretty clear to me. It's the same as what Redman outlined with Fright Night, they need some guaranteed sellers so as to afford the big losers. They're almost consistently in the red on titles.
Yes, I assumed it was there as a cash cow, but surely there are also good Sony films that would be guaranteed sellers.

knives

#93 Post by knives » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:49 pm

I think it's good, but of course I recognize I'm the minority on this site.

TMDaines

#94 Post by TMDaines » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:32 am

What's usually the best way for people to import these titles to the UK? The price will be eyewatering if you get it shipped directly from them, under the assumption that customs will add their 20% + (ludicrous) £8 handling fee.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#95 Post by domino harvey » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:42 am

TMDaines wrote:What's usually the best way for people to import these titles to the UK? The price will be eyewatering if you get it shipped directly from them, under the assumption that customs will add their 20% + (ludicrous) £8 handling fee.
I don't know if it's any cheaper or has any bearing on import duties, but you might try buying from their Amazon Marketplace listing?

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#96 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:15 am

TMDaines wrote:What's usually the best way for people to import these titles to the UK? The price will be eyewatering if you get it shipped directly from them, under the assumption that customs will add their 20% + (ludicrous) £8 handling fee.
Screenarchives undervalue the customs valuation as a matter of course.I have never had a customs surcharge and I get at least one package amounting to $100 per month.

Peacock

#97 Post by Peacock » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:47 pm

Amazon.co.uk's marketplace sells most of them as well.

Calvin

#98 Post by Calvin » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:59 pm

Twilight Time on In a Lonely Place: "One of our faves, and of course we requested it, but were turned down. It's quite possibly been licensed to another label..."

Criterion?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#99 Post by domino harvey » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:52 pm

Per Facebook, they're working on Delmer Daves' Bird of Paradise, which I'm especially excited about since it's the only 50s Daves film I haven't been able to track down. Hopefully they'll get Rosenbaum to contribute something. They're also waiting on better elements for the Pat Boone/Shirley Jones 'Scope musical April Love too, which isn't circulating in OAR anywhere

Also, interestingly, their deal with Sony is for Blu-ray releases of ONLY in-print DVD titles

Jeff Bannow

#100 Post by Jeff Bannow » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:19 pm

david hare wrote:Terrific review for Swamp Water.
Indeed - I'm ordering the title based on that review!