It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 101 Films
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:11 pm 

I don't know much about this label - only that there's only a difference of 13 between them and 88 Films - but they seem to focus on similar content. I have a feeling that 101 Films's biggest coup was just announced, though: it isn't Arrow Video, but these guys, who are unleashing Black Christmas on November 6 in the UK.

Post subject: Re: 101 Films
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:10 pm 

I hope 101 have improved, then, because they have used some pretty ropey masters in the past and previous releases of Black Christmas have been less than stellar. I really like this film, so disappointed it isn't with Arrow.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:44 am 

I assume it will be the same master as the Shout! Factory release, since it has all the same extras.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:54 pm 

101 Films never seem to produce anything themselves and instead port over already-available stuff for many of their discs. I have a few of their earlier releases and they're okay. Recent releases like Alien Nation have had generally decent feedback, so they're fairly reliable. Kinda depends what film it is and where the master is being sourced from. You can usually guess where they're getting things just by looking at the specs - for example, at least we know Black Christmas will most likely be a port of the Shout disc.

Metrodome folded some months back and 101 Films bought their remaining catalogue, which explains why they have Black Christmas over Arrow. I will get the 101 disc anyway, but not prepared to pay over the odds if they're not putting any extra effort in (i.e. not adding their own extras).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:30 am 

Hoping Black Christmas looks great, as good as the Scream Factory release.

Anyone know if it’s looking good...?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:29 am 

M Sanderson wrote:
Hoping Black Christmas looks great, as good as the Scream Factory release.

Anyone know if it’s looking good...?

It uses Scream's new 2k scan, but is missing the original mono mix (only includes the badly done remix that was on the previous release with added sound effects etc).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:48 pm 
Dot Com Dom

eXistenZ coming in what seems to be a superior edition with new Kim Newman commentary (one of three on the disc) among other extras

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:16 am 

That's a horrid cover. Look at Jennifer and her ear!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:38 am 
Dot Com Dom

It's the original poster art

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:11 am 

Then it's an awful original poster... I still kinda like the film though, been a while since I saw it last.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:31 am 

A pity there’s no mention of remastering or the such, but you take what you can get.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:32 am 

They're releasing a new edition of The Grifters as well, which comes with a new feature-length documentary featuring interviews with Stephen Frears and others. No word yet on whether the older DVD extras (which bizarrely were on Optimum's DVD but not their later Blu-Ray) will be present.

Both this and eXistenZ are the maiden releases on their new "Black Label" sublabel, the name of which has already made lager aficionados arch an eyebrow.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:58 am 

They've confirmed on Facebook that they'll be using the same transfer as the recent German release, which I think is the best out there but still leaves a lot to be desired.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:02 pm 

Great news about eXistenZ, as I will be able to upgrade my old DVD edition, which is non-anamorphic (which has become a bit of an issue in recent years now that the image is inside a smaller rectangle on a widescreen television!), although I'll still need to keep hold of it for the other two commentaries which have not been ported over, one from Director of Photography Peter Suschitzky, and the other from visual effects supervisor Jim Isaac (Isaac, who sadly passed away a couple of years ago, went on to direct Jason X a couple of years later. Which is most likely why that film has the Cronenberg cameo at the beginning!)

Amusingly that 2000 released DVD edition also includes a lengthy commercial extolling the upcoming release of the Sega's Dreamcast console, which was one of the more short-lived consoles of the time. And in further news the most notable titles from that console, Shenmue and Shenmue II, the first of which was according to Wikipedia, the "most expensive video game ever released at the time...[including] elements of role-playing, life simulation and social simulation games, such as a day-and-night system, variable weather effects, non-player characters with daily schedules, and interactive elements such as vending machines, arcades, and minigames", have just been announced (in anticipation of Shenmue III I guess) to be released on Steam and modern consoles!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:17 am 

Calvin wrote:
They've confirmed on Facebook that they'll be using the same transfer as the recent German release, which I think is the best out there but still leaves a lot to be desired.

the German release- this is this one ? :

https://www.amazon.de/Existenz-Limitier ... B074194DX6

I didn't buy it so far because the first Blu-Ray had heavy DNR... The German BR seems a little better with less agressive DNR than the US edition and better HD details... But I skipped this one too because it was not enough "satisfying" (and this is however one of my favorite Cronenberg's movies...)

http://www.caps-a-holic.com/index.php?s=existenz

Do 101 has already put out some Blu-Ray ? are they good with encoding/authoring ?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:34 am 

Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Calvin wrote:

the German release- this is this one ? :

https://www.amazon.de/Existenz-Limitier ... B074194DX6

I didn't buy it so far because the first Blu-Ray had heavy DNR... The German BR seems a little better with less agressive DNR than the US edition and better HD details... But I skipped this one too because it was not enough "satisfying" (and this is however one of my favorite Cronenberg's movies...)

Correct. I've heard that release has a pretty good encode, so the 101 release is probably only going to look the same at best. The film really needs an entirely new scan, and it's a shame that it hasn't ended up with a label that will give it that treatment.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:04 am 

There's also a Japanese release but I have no idea whether it's the same scan/encode.