Mondo Vision

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
CSM126

Mondo Vision

#1 Post by CSM126 » Thu May 08, 2008 1:20 am

La Femme publique

Later this year, new DVD label Mondo Vision will be releasing its debut title, the first ever English-friendly release of Andrzej Zulawski's La Femme publique ("The Public Woman")

Specifications for this release include:

- Digitally restored transfer mastered in high definition progressive video (1.66:1 anamorphic widescreen, dual layer)
- French Dolby Digital 2.0 dual mono audio
- First ever English-language subtitle translation (optional)
- Feature length audio commentary with Andrzej Zulawksi and biographer Daniel Bird (recorded specially for this release)
- Exclusive new interview with Andrzej Zulawski (recorded specially for this release)
- 1984 theatrical trailer
- Image gallery
- DVD-ROM content (original screenplay and high resolution images)

In addition to the standard single-disc release, a limited edition will also be released featuring a bonus CD containing the film's original score, as well as a special commemorative booklet.

Two more Zulawski titles, L'important c'est d'aimer (1975, starring Romy Schneider, Fabio Testi and Klaus Kinski) and L'amour braque (1985, starring Sophie Marceau and Francis Huster), will also be released this year.
There are some very nice screencaps at the link above. Looks like a beauty of a transfer.

pro-bassoonist

#2 Post by pro-bassoonist » Thu May 08, 2008 1:38 am

Outstanding news. I would be buying all 3 titles when they street. I just hope that these are progressive transfers and not interlaced as from what I saw in the article the caps appear to be perfect.

Once again, great news.

Pro-B

luridedith

#3 Post by luridedith » Thu May 08, 2008 6:34 am

Holy shit, wow! Best news I've heard in months. FINALLY Zulawski is getting the DVD treatment he deserves. The screencaps look incredible and the cover art's great. Here's hoping the other two titles look just as good and that all of his films will be released in this way eventually (the recent R1 versions of The Devils and The Silver Globe were pretty awful from what I've heard).

ltfontaine

#4 Post by ltfontaine » Thu May 08, 2008 8:45 am

L'important c'est d'aimer (1975, starring Romy Schneider, Fabio Testi and Klaus Kinski)
This film is treated as some kind of lost masterpiece in Xan Cassavetes documentary, Z Channel: A Magnificent Obsession, but I'd never even heard of it or its director. The clips in the doc looked pretty awful. Anybody know this film well enough to offer a recommendation one way or the other?

MichaelB

#5 Post by MichaelB » Thu May 08, 2008 9:44 am

ltfontaine wrote:
L'important c'est d'aimer (1975, starring Romy Schneider, Fabio Testi and Klaus Kinski)
This film is treated as some kind of lost masterpiece in Xan Cassavetes documentary, Z Channel: A Magnificent Obsession, but I'd never even heard of it or its director. The clips in the doc looked pretty awful. Anybody know this film well enough to offer a recommendation one way or the other?
I thought it was pretty awful, but with the caveat that I've only seen it in Paris without subtitles, so large chunks of it undoubtedly went over my head. I do recall a highly amusing Klaus Kinski cameo, though.

On the other hand, Zulawski is hardly unknown - Second Run released his The Third Part of the Night a year ago, and Possession has a certain reputation on both sides of the Atlantic (in Britain, it was the only arthouse feature to get caught up in the early 1980s "video nasty" moral panic).

Perkins Cobb

#6 Post by Perkins Cobb » Thu May 08, 2008 1:26 pm

Terrific news. Possession is a demented masterpiece that's impossible to get out of your head ... almost literally ... there's something about Zulawski's mise-en-scene that somehow seems to worm its way off the screen and into your brain. Third Part of the Night isn't quite as impressive but it's nonetheless a helluva mindfuck in its own right.

Can't wait for these to show up, and glad I held off on the imperfect R2 DVD of L'important c'est d'aimer, although I've hovered over it on a couple of Xploited orders. Zulawski is a director I've maxed on watchable DVDs and really wanted to explore more of, so, excellent choice for a first batch of releases.

David M.

#7 Post by David M. » Sat May 10, 2008 1:13 pm

pro-bassoonist wrote:I just hope that these are progressive transfers and not interlaced as from what I saw in the article the caps appear to be perfect.
Pro-Bassoonist, do I recognise your name from DVD Times? Hello :)

Don't worry, I would never allow these to go out as Interlaced transfers. They are properly Progressively Flagged NTSC discs.

Thanks for the comments on the encode everyone.

-David M
Compressionist

pro-bassoonist

#8 Post by pro-bassoonist » Sun May 11, 2008 2:00 am

David Mackenzie wrote:
pro-bassoonist wrote:I just hope that these are progressive transfers and not interlaced as from what I saw in the article the caps appear to be perfect.
Pro-Bassoonist, do I recognise your name from DVD Times? Hello :)

Don't worry, I would never allow these to go out as Interlaced transfers. They are properly Progressively Flagged NTSC discs.

Thanks for the comments on the encode everyone.
Hello David,

Yes, this is me. I am stationed at DVDTALK, gravitate around the French Classik, and visit the Times :), in addition to quite a few other forums/magazines. Are you in charge with the production of these, if yes, please contact me at stock13@hotmail.com (I check this email daily at home). I would like to help. :)

Good to see you here.

Edit: Check your box again.

Pro-B

Cash Flagg

#9 Post by Cash Flagg » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:20 pm

According to DVDAF, Blue Underground will be re-releasing Possession on 9/30.

Ashirg

#10 Post by Ashirg » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:53 am

Amazon is taking pre-orders for La Femme Publique in Digipak edition ($39.95) and Premium Edition DVD+Soundtrack CD+10 Lobby Cards+48pg commemorative Book (Special Case ... To 2000 Numbered Copies - $59.95). Release date is currently listed as September 30.

Here's the company's page .

pro-bassoonist

#11 Post by pro-bassoonist » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:47 am

Cash Flagg wrote:According to DVDAF, Blue Underground will be re-releasing Possession on 9/30.
This should bring the exorbitant prices for the single disc down.

Pro-B

David M.

Re: La Femme publique (Zulawski, 1984)

#12 Post by David M. » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:29 pm

Just a small update, La Femme Publique is finally shipping on November 11th. You can preorder at Amazon, and I'm told soon also at Mondo-vision.com.

Bagatellen.com has a review of the film and mentions the new release.

Telstar

#13 Post by Telstar » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:21 pm

David Mackenzie wrote:Just a small update, La Femme Publique is finally shipping on November 11th. You can preorder at Amazon, and I'm told soon also at Mondo-vision.com.
Anywhere else this can be had? I understand it being sold mainly through amazon, but it seems a bit absurd it's not stocked by DVDPlanet but it is available here.
Last edited by Telstar on Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gregory

#14 Post by Gregory » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:54 pm

I guess Blue Underground canceled their release of Possession, or postponed it indefinitely.

zone_resident

#15 Post by zone_resident » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:11 am

arsonfilms

#16 Post by arsonfilms » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:29 pm

My copy of the limited edition shipped Monday from Amazon, but the site is now listing that all versions of the film will ship in a month or two. Given that the 2-disc set was limited to 2000 copies, is it possible that this has already sold out and gone out of print?

souvenir

#17 Post by souvenir » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:43 pm

arsonfilms wrote:My copy of the limited edition shipped Monday from Amazon, but the site is now listing that all versions of the film will ship in a month or two. Given that the 2-disc set was limited to 2000 copies, is it possible that this has already sold out and gone out of print?
Not if it's being sold at only one store. 2000 copies isn't very many, but I can't imagine Amazon selling that many prior to release date, especially at that price.

Cash Flagg

#18 Post by Cash Flagg » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:37 pm

souvenir wrote:2000 copies isn't very many, but I can't imagine Amazon selling that many prior to release date, especially at that price.
I'm sure it's flying off the shelves at Target.

David M.

#19 Post by David M. » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:28 pm

Telstar wrote:
David Mackenzie wrote:Just a small update, La Femme Publique is finally shipping on November 11th. You can preorder at Amazon, and I'm told soon also at Mondo-vision.com.
Anywhere else this can be had? I understand it being sold mainly through amazon, but it seems a bit absurd it's not stocked by DVDPlanet but it is available here.
Not yet, sadly. The distribution is actually fairly complex and is a lot for a small company to take on. That said, Mondo feel that if it can only be available through a limited number of stores, then Amazon is a good one.

BTW, the LE is back in stock there and the SE should be soon.

David M.

#20 Post by David M. » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:32 pm

For anyone interested, Landofwhimsy.com has a DVD image comparison comparing all of the DVD releases of this film:

What A Disgrace

#21 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:28 pm

If you drag your cursor over their upcoming L'important c'est d'aimer at their website, the image spins around and you can get a glimpse of the back boxart for the title! Special features are listed, but its too small to read and there's no bigger image available. No release date, either.

Also, I just received my copy of La Femme Publique (the single disc digipak), and this is one of my favorite digipak releases ever. I wish Criterion devoted this much love to their packaging. Very thick and sturdy. Even the booklet is made of sturdier stuff than normal. I like the smell, too.

Shouldn't this company get their own thread in the Boutique Labels section?

David M.

#22 Post by David M. » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:23 am

Mondo are very close to releasing information on L'important c'est d'aimer. I think you'll be very happy with this release :)

ouatitw

#23 Post by ouatitw » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:46 am

I think L'important c'est d'aimer is his best film so, I'm pretty excited about it finally getting a R1 release.

tartarlamb

#24 Post by tartarlamb » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:42 pm

This is an amazing package. I'm ambivalent about the film, which appeals to me mostly as a curiosity and because of Sacha Vierny. Its kind of a disjointed and pointless mess that happens to be patched together with some very memorable scenes.

The extras are great, but Zulawski comes off as quite a creep -- he'd do himself a big favor if he refused interviews and commentary tracks in the future. He seems to hold a not-so-professional grudge against Kaprisky (whom, anyway, I don't think is very good either). After hearing him declare that no well-acted films have ever been directed by a woman, I was less shocked at the crudeness of the comment than I was dismayed that Zulawski may think that his own films are well-acted. I thought the acting was meant to be absurd, over-the-top, and, well, bad. Hmm.

I'm definitely looking forward to the other releases!

menthymenthy

#25 Post by menthymenthy » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:40 am

tartarlamb wrote:The extras are great, but Zulawski comes off as quite a creep -- he'd do himself a big favor if he refused interviews and commentary tracks in the future. He seems to hold a not-so-professional grudge against Kaprisky (whom, anyway, I don't think is very good either). After hearing him declare that no well-acted films have ever been directed by a woman, I was less shocked at the crudeness of the comment than I was dismayed that Zulawski may think that his own films are well-acted. I thought the acting was meant to be absurd, over-the-top, and, well, bad.
Zulawski is very honest. It's really refreshing how honest the man is. Saying that, I'd have to rewatch Femme Publique because as it is it's only my tenth favourite Zulawski, and I've seen twelve of them.

I also don't think his films contain bad acting. They are over the top, yes, but beautifully so. The best acting I've ever seen in any film ever has been in Zulawski's films. Isabella Idajani's performance in Possession is, imo, the greatest performance put on screen. It gives me goosebumps whenever I see it. Brilliant.

Rewatches are really musts with his films, and the next film in the Mondo collection - That Most Important Thing: Love - is one of his greatest films once you've seen it more than once.