Icarus Films

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
rockysds

Re: Icarus Films

#26 Post by rockysds » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:42 pm

Icarus acquires 6 films by Jean Rouch for release both theatrically and non-theatrically this fall. More info at Indiewire

Titles:
LES MAÎTRES FOUS 1955/ color/ 26 minutes Rouch’s classic and controversial depiction of a spectacular trance ritual of Accra’s Hauka religious sect, made up mostly of migrant workers from rural Niger, that also constitutes a theatrical protest against West Africa’s colonial masters.

MAMMY WATER 1956/ color/ 19 minutes Along the coast of Ghana, near the old Portuguese slave forts, children play in the ocean and fisherman perform ceremonies to placate the sea gods whose favor determines their catch.

MOI, UN NOIR 1957/ color/ 72 minutes In Rouch’s landmark ethnofiction, three Nigerien migrant workers in Treichville, outside Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire, describe their lives in the city, the difficulties of urbanization, and their dreams, playfully re-enacting their daily routines for the camera, and taking on the names of American movie stars.

THE LION HUNTERS (LE CHASSE AU LION À L’ARC) 1965/ color/ 80 minutes Recorded over the course of seven years on the border between Niger and Mali, THE LION HUNTERS documents the traditional lion hunt of the Songhay people, taking it as a key to understanding the region’s social organization.

JAGUAR 1967/ color/ 89 minutes Three young men from Niger travel to Accra to work. Rouch once again collaborates with his subjects, who narrate the film together, recreating dialogue, explaining their motivations, and infusing the documentary footage with fantasy.

LITTLE BY LITTLE (PETIT À PETIT) 1969/ color/ 92 minutes In LITTLE BY LITTLE, viewers rejoin the three men from JAGUAR, now running an import-export company in Niamey. Business brings them to Paris, where they perform a reverse anthropology of Rouch’s own culture.

Peacock

#27 Post by Peacock » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:56 pm

And they also have the rights to Chronicle of a Summer.

onedimension

#28 Post by onedimension » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:16 am

Anyone know the quality of the materials for the Rouch films? Are they likely to be DVD or blu?

AlexHansen

#30 Post by AlexHansen » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:34 am

I wonder if this means the BFI's Morrison set will at least partially get bumped up to Blu.

Adam

#31 Post by Adam » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:10 am

Looks like Criterion is doing Chronicle of a Summer.
Thre is a very large Rouch series in NYC right now, at FIAF and Anthology (although today might have been the last screening at Anthology).
http://www.fiaf.org/french%20film/fall2 ... ouch.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now we're working on bringing a good chunk of that to LA in the winter, including the Icarus films and many more. News to come.

rockysds

#32 Post by rockysds » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:41 am

4 disc box of the six Imamuras on December 11. Contender for dvd release of the year to my eyes.

SpiderBaby

#33 Post by SpiderBaby » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:48 pm

^ Has anyone got the release yet?

warren oates

#34 Post by warren oates » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:35 pm

SpiderBaby wrote:^ Has anyone got the release yet?
I ordered the Decasia blu from Amazon US, which supposedly came out a week earlier than the Imamura set. And both these titles are "temporarily out of stock." I don't think Icarus positions their releases for distribution ahead of time at Amazon warehouses, as I remember the same thing happened to me with some of those Akerman documentaries. They ought to mysteriously appear in a few days/weeks. But if you need it for Xmas and you ordered from Amazon you may be in trouble.

joshua

#35 Post by joshua » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:08 pm

Icarus sent out a email to retail stores stating December 18th as the street date so I think it has been bumped a week.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#36 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:07 pm

The Imamura box is back in stock on Amazon now.

manicsounds

#37 Post by manicsounds » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:37 am

Decasia review on DVDBeaver
I completely missed the news of this release, as well as the Imamura set so it was quite a shock to see a sudden BD review of this title, especially since it was in my wishlist years ago and went out of print a long time ago.

SpiderBaby

#38 Post by SpiderBaby » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:29 am

My order for the Imamura films shipped. So just a heads up for anyone else that pre-ordered it.

knives

#39 Post by knives » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:56 pm

Does anyone have any information concerning The Pirates of Buban from the Imamura set which has no serious mention on the forum, no IMDB, and only a few French articles of no worth on the Internet.

manicsounds

#40 Post by manicsounds » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:22 pm

The Pirates Of Bubuan was made for TV Tokyo, a documentary about the Bubuan (Babuyan) Islands off of The Philippenes, and the documentary crew learning about discrimination and tension between the various islanders. The documentary is overdubbed in Japanese.

manicsounds

#41 Post by manicsounds » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:26 pm

manicsounds

#42 Post by manicsounds » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:52 am

And another review at DVDTalk

But when will my order of this finally ship?!

FerdinandGriffon

#43 Post by FerdinandGriffon » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:43 am

manicsounds wrote:The Pirates Of Bubuan was made for TV Tokyo, a documentary about the Bubuan (Babuyan) Islands off of The Philippenes, and the documentary crew learning about discrimination and tension between the various islanders. The documentary is overdubbed in Japanese.
And it's incredible.

rockysds

#44 Post by rockysds » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:03 pm

Icarus Films wrote:April 4, 2013, New York: Today, Icarus Films announced its acquisition of all North American distribution rights to Chris Marker and Pierre Lhomme’s landmark 1963 film LE JOLI MAI. Long unavailable, and now newly restored, LE JOLI MAI will play at several major film festivals before opening theatrically in New York at Film Forum on Friday, September 13, 2013. This engagement will be followed by a theatrical rollout across the U.S. and Canada. In November 2013, the film will be released by Icarus Films Home Video in a deluxe 2-disc DVD edition, and online.

The restoration work on LE JOLI MAI, done according to the wishes of Chris Marker (1921-2012), was supervised by the film’s cinematographer and co-director, Pierre Lhomme. It will be presented on DCP, made from a new 2K scan. The film’s music is by the Academy Award-winning composer Michel Legrand, and the English-language commentary is by Academy Award-winning actress Simone Signoret.

perkizitore

#45 Post by perkizitore » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:06 pm

Great news, but I hope they will release it on BD as well.

Kirkinson

#46 Post by Kirkinson » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:14 pm

Yes! I had been wondering for ages who might be working on this. Le Joli Mai is top-drawer Chris Marker, one of the greatest films he ever made, and I've only ever seen it on badly worn VHS copies. It's fantastic that it's being re-released theatrically. And yes, I hope there's a Blu-ray, too, but even if there isn't, I'll be immensely happy to have that DVD.

zedz

#47 Post by zedz » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:34 pm

I'm hoping that "deluxe 2-disc edition" will include a bundle of other Marker films too, since Icarus seem to have a great degree of access to his work.

Perkins Cobb

#48 Post by Perkins Cobb » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:56 pm

Wonderful film. Wish we could get Loin du Vietnam instead, though, just 'cause I've never seen it.

Calvin

#49 Post by Calvin » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:07 pm

I asked Icarus on Facebook regarding a Blu-Ray and their response was "not currently planned. But the DVD will be great!"

Perkins Cobb

#50 Post by Perkins Cobb » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:49 pm

Calvin wrote:I asked Icarus on Facebook regarding a Blu-Ray and their response was "not currently planned. But the DVD will be great!"
No bacon for breakfast, but this nice grapefruit will be great!