Scorpion Releasing

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Scorpion Releasing

#126 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:32 pm

I guess Kino Lorber went all in on raiding TT based on this (as they will no doubt be Scorpion-branded KL titles), probably more to come

L.A.

#127 Post by L.A. » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:13 am

dwk wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:36 pm
Details on Scorpions remaster of The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea
Coming June 16 from Scorpion Releasing!
Distributed by Kino Lorber!

The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea (1976)
• Brand New 2019 HD Scan of the Original Camera Negative
• NEW Interview with Star Sarah Miles
• NEW Interview with Writer/Director Lewis John Carlino
• NEW Interviews with Crew Members Anthony Wayne, Robin Vidgeon, Graham Attwood and Hugh Harlow
• Optional English Subtitles
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Reversible Art
• Trailers
Has anyone seen this?

senseabove

#128 Post by senseabove » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:18 pm

L.A.

#129 Post by L.A. » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:41 pm

J Wilson

#130 Post by J Wilson » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:49 pm

I watched the Scorpion release of Clifford last night, and wow is this a film where I don't get the subsequent re-appraisal. It's absolutely awful. Almost everything Clifford does is the kind of behavior you'd see in a Bugs Bunny cartoon, except that we sympathize with Bugs and laugh at his antics, because he's likable and usually has cause (i.e. someone trying to kill him). Clifford, however, is insufferable. Short specializes in playing weirdos, and it's often exhausting even at the end of a SNL length skit. Here, it quickly becomes an endurance test. The only way this could have worked would have been to base the movie around Grodin's Martin as a sympathetic foil to Clifford's psycho twerp and let Martin then kill him off at the end. Bring back Clifford's parents and have them all celebrate. Let Sarah agree with Martin that kids are awful, and she agrees to never have any. They get married, everyone is happy, the end.

Morbii

#131 Post by Morbii » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:00 am

I guess The Kindred was just a pipe dream again?

dwk

#132 Post by dwk » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:14 am

The Kindred is with Synapse and in September they offered the following update via Rue Morgue
What is the status of THE KINDRED?

That’s been going on for years. There were issues that had to be taken care of with the film’s owners first, that came up after we announced it all those years ago. Over the time those took to resolve, I realized that the masters we had were no longer up to par, because they had been done years before. So when we got the green light to continue, I decided to redo everything from scratch. Then COVID happened, and the labs we work with are still closed; a lot of people in the restoration industry are not working, so it’s taking a little time. We’re just kind of waiting it out and finishing up a couple of other projects, and hopefully, in another month or so, we’ll be able to get the materials that we need and continue with THE KINDRED.

What kind of bonus features do you have planned for it?

Red Shirt Pictures has done a lot of great extras, like making-ofs. We even got an interview with Amanda Pays, which was able to happen because of the delays; her schedule freed up and we finally got her. And the version of THE KINDRED we’re doing is the international edition, which has a few extra gore snippets, so it’ll be worth the wait. Synapse doesn’t put anything out before its time; we want to make sure it’s right before we put it out because, knock on wood, we haven’t had any mistakes or recalls in 23 years, and there aren’t too many other companies out there that can say the same.

Morbii

#133 Post by Morbii » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:17 pm

dwk wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:14 am
The Kindred is with Synapse and in September they offered the following update via Rue Morgue
What is the status of THE KINDRED?

<snip>
Thanks! Guess it’s been long enough that I forgot the company that had the rights.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#134 Post by domino harvey » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:25 pm

Who'll Stop the Rain coming as a Ronin Flix exclusive next year, another former TT title with a new label (I assumed it was actually coming via KL under the Scorpion banner but the Blu-ray listing says otherwise)

dwk

#135 Post by dwk » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:32 pm

Fritz the Cat and The Nine Lives of Fritz the Cat are coming to Blu from Scorpion and Kino

beamish14

#136 Post by beamish14 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:45 pm

dwk wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:32 pm
Fritz the Cat and The Nine Lives of Fritz the Cat are coming to Blu from Scorpion and Kino
Finally. I can do without the latter, but it's truly puzzling that it took Bakshi's film so long to make it to Blu-Ray. Really hope they can get some of his short films and TV commercials, like his series of Peter Max-designed Coca-Cola ads (there is a Peter Max poster in one shot of the film).

L.A.

#137 Post by L.A. » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:42 pm

One Potato, Two Potato (1964) @ Beaver

Since this is from the director of The Incident (1967) then I am interested of course.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#138 Post by domino harvey » Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:13 pm

dwk wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 8:40 pm
And trailers for the following are on the recent Johnny Cool Blu-ray
I watched Johnny Cool the other day and it is a fascinating, sloppy, inventive, overly-ambitious, and frankly weird gangster noir that is a total fucking mess but never anything but perversely entertaining. I mean, the film starts with Salvatore Giuliano and ends with both an A bout de souffle rip-off AND a character being locked into a sci-fi contraption that promises to slowly torture them for decades. In between, everything else is equally brazen and alternately dumb and clever, but never boring. Elizabeth Montgomery is clearly trying to be the next Jane Fonda in more ways than one, but she gives a perf so bad that it’s like watching a cringe compilation on YouTube play out (and in the process she makes the in wayyyyy over his head Henry Silva look much better in comparison). And guess what: this only positively adds to experience. This whatsit is a true rediscovered gem!

The Fanciful Norwegian

#139 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:03 pm

TCM showed it last year (or maybe before that) and I still have "The Ballad of Johnny Cool" rattling around in my head. Like the film as a whole, it has this ineffable combination of total earnestness and tossed-off sloppiness (sample lyrics: If you were friendly to Johnny Cool/You were just playing the fool/They say Johnny was friend to none/Friend to only one/He went by this simple rule/That his only friend was Johnny Cool). It's like everyone involved threw the thing together as a lads holiday but were simultaneously convinced it would be great. I think it's that excess of ambition that makes it a helluva lot more interesting than the canonical Rat Pack movies like Ocean's 11 or Robin and the 7 Hoods.

M Sanderson

#140 Post by M Sanderson » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:42 am

So a standard retail version of The Mechanic is being released for May 10.

Will they be giving Death Wish 3 likewise treatment? As it’s currently a Roninflix exclusive which makes it difficult for non US customers. As Death Wish 3 received an apparently superlative transfer.

jazzo

#141 Post by jazzo » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:28 am

There was probably more care put into the transfer than the composition of its shots. Or script. Or performances.

Christ, I love Death Wish 3.

Therewolf

#142 Post by Therewolf » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:22 am

I've not seen this mentioned here yet. One of the most famous films that very few have seen is coming to blu-ray.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#143 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:37 am

I preordered it as soon as it went up. Does Columbia still own it? I’m looking forward to the discolored 16mm-to-VHS copy I previously had of this film.

ianthemovie

#144 Post by ianthemovie » Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:59 pm

Has anyone had experience ordering from the Capstone Films site? They appear to be a licensed dealer of Scorpion and Code Red discs. I was excited to see that they had a Blu-ray copy of Julie Darling for sale listed at $23 but wasn't sure if it was legit or not since this title is out of print and out of stock everywhere else. Site looks kind of sketchy, too. Would love to hear whether anyone has bought from them before.

I'm also not sure why many of their listings have the tag "non." Others are tagged as "slip," meaning "slipcased", so is "non" supposed to mean they don't have one?