Code Red

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Grand Wazoo

Re: Code Red

#51 Post by Grand Wazoo » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:56 pm

med

#52 Post by med » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:59 pm

Amazingly, nowhere does he call you an idiot for thinking about buying it.

Orlac

#53 Post by Orlac » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:42 pm

Turns out the negative copy Code Red puts on the fricking packaging has an interesting pedigree - http://thelatarniaforums.yuku.com/topic ... r-a-BluRay" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MichaelB

#54 Post by MichaelB » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:52 pm

I love including strongly negative reviews in the 'Contemporary Reviews' section of Arrow Academy booklets, but on balance I generally avoid putting them on the outside of the box.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#55 Post by tenia » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:18 am

"Yeah, I finally found this movie nobody wants because even its distibutor says it's freaking awful !"

Orlac

#56 Post by Orlac » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:28 am

To be fair, I'd love to own that BD but his site doesn't ship to my country anymore.

EddieLarkin

#57 Post by EddieLarkin » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:35 pm

Kino's new release of At the Earth's Core bizarrely features Bill Olsen on the commentary track with the director. Presumably this is because the release was actually curated by Scorpion Releasing, which is run by Bill's brother. Anyway, a Blu-ray.com poster had this to say about it:
I had to give up on the commentary - it's obviously a real love it or hate it affair, but I hated it. Bill Olsen hasn't done any research on the movie and hasn't got a clue what he's talking about (he even gets Kevin Connor's name wrong when introducing him!), which wouldn't be that much of a problem if he'd just let Connor speak, but he constantly interrupts when the director's trying to talk and keeps on going off on increasingly bizarre tangents - when he's not laughing at his own jokes. The only entertainment value it had was imagining the increasing look of horror on Connor's face as he realised he was stuck in the booth with this guy for another hour.

In my book it's almost down there with the infamously atrocious audio commentary for The Giant Behemoth with Dennis Muren and Phil Tippett, who had no connection with that film and clearly don't think much of it. That was stunningly bad and remarkably uninformative, with (like Olsen) neither man having done any research into the film or even appearing to have bothered to watch it before recording it, even making mistakes about things that are happening on screen and going off on wild tangents about other movies. On the Earth's Core commentary Connor does occasionally get a word in about the movie, but he's fighting a losing battle with the host.

MichaelB

#58 Post by MichaelB » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:36 pm

The thread goes on to explain that Olsen was a last-minute substitute after the original moderator failed to show up - it was either that or lose the studio booking altogether (but still pay for it).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#59 Post by domino harvey » Fri May 01, 2015 12:30 pm

Code Red's owner is still keeping it classy, FYI:

EDIT: Actually, this is worse. This is up on his Big Cartel page, he literally called out a customer by full name (the censoring here as above is mine):

Grand Wazoo

#60 Post by Grand Wazoo » Fri May 01, 2015 12:42 pm

He recently posted the name of a customer with whom he had a paypal chargeback problem. According to someone at Rock Shock Pop he also posted the same customer's email address, asking his followers to harass him. I can't find that, perhaps he took it down or it's on some other forum, but nothing surprises me from this guy. It's just so bad on so many levels, no matter how potentially wrongheaded the customer may be.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#61 Post by domino harvey » Fri May 01, 2015 12:44 pm

See my edit above! Unbelievable, there's no way in hell I'd ever give this guy money-- and this isn't idle chatter from me, I've given him hundreds over the years

Grand Wazoo

#62 Post by Grand Wazoo » Fri May 01, 2015 1:00 pm

This was the final straw for me. I too have given him plenty over the years but It's no longer something I am in any way comfortable doing.

EddieLarkin

#63 Post by EddieLarkin » Fri May 01, 2015 1:12 pm

When 88 Films announced the UK release of Nail Gun Massacre, he apparently harassed them on their Facebook page about it. It was deleted before I saw it and I can't quite figure out what problem he could have had. I'm now patiently waiting for him to blow up at Arrow for announcing Pit Stop for the US; he announced it himself sometime ago as a future release via Roger Corman, whilst Arrow are putting out their edition via Jack Hill, who disputes Corman's claim on the US copyright.

Adam X

#64 Post by Adam X » Fri May 01, 2015 1:56 pm

domino harvey wrote:Code Red's owner is still keeping it classy, FYI:

In all fairness, that comment he's responding to was the first left after Bill posted a message about the death of friend and actor Robert Z'Dar. The subsequent response, while not entirely civil, was really what a comment like that deserves.

David M.

#65 Post by David M. » Fri May 01, 2015 4:38 pm

domino harvey wrote:Code Red's owner is still keeping it classy, FYI:

EDIT: Actually, this is worse. This is up on his Big Cartel page, he literally called out a customer by full name (the censoring here as above is mine):

I bought some Code Red items for a friend, and only received one of the packages. I did have to do a PayPal chargeback (legitimately, for items not received) to get anywhere with them - Code Red didn't respond to any emails or Facebook messages from me for months.

Perkins Cobb

#66 Post by Perkins Cobb » Mon May 04, 2015 2:24 pm

He bitches about that same customer on the Brotherhood of Death product listing, too!

Somehow I've never had any trouble getting orders out of Code Red, but I'll definitely use Diabolik from now on if it's an option (although it looks like they don't have the newest releases yet).

Adam X

#67 Post by Adam X » Tue May 05, 2015 4:23 am

They occasionally have them, for about 5 mins. I get the impression Diabolik don't have it any easier getting Code Red titles than anyone else.
You just need to keep an eye out.

EddieLarkin

#68 Post by EddieLarkin » Tue May 26, 2015 8:43 pm

Screen Archives Entertainment have some new and exclusive Code Red Blu-ray titles, available now. They include Guy Magar's Retribution, Tobe Hooper's Spontaneous Combustion and killer baboon crapfest Shakma.

PfR73

#69 Post by PfR73 » Wed May 27, 2015 1:20 am

Hey, Shakma gave us one of the greatest moments of any trailer ever.

Perkins Cobb

#70 Post by Perkins Cobb » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:16 am

Sometime this weekend Code Red reopened the online store, with a lot of OOP discs, including some I haven't seen in there in a couple of years. Also a number of recent Scorpion releases, including the four "limited edition" Blu-rays that have already gotten scarce. And this gem from Bill:
IF YOU CAN'T wait...Please dont buy it

want the item mailed in a box...I don't have boxes right now
Edit: And it's down again. This guy. I hope he finds a box for my order.

Robin Davies

#71 Post by Robin Davies » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:20 pm

Perkins Cobb wrote: And this gem from Bill:
IF YOU CAN'T wait...Please dont buy it
want the item mailed in a box...I don't have boxes right now
He's presumably a fan of Irene in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
"You want to hear about our specials? We don't have any."

dwk

#72 Post by dwk » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:25 pm

Sigh. Code Red has, somehow, gotten the rights to Argento's Opera

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#73 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:40 pm

I don't understand what happened to Blue Underground in the last couple years, did they just give up?

dwk

#74 Post by dwk » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:02 pm

Who knows. Blue Underground is still releasing stuff, but why they'd pick up those three Enzo Castellari post-apocalypse films and let Opera go is inexplicable.

Ashirg

#75 Post by Ashirg » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:45 pm

Hopefully it will be one of the titles distributed by Kino Lorber.