Vinegar Syndrome et al.

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
pianocrash

Re: Vinegar Syndrome et al.

#1601 Post by pianocrash » Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:25 pm

Tsai's Rebels of the Neon God is part of today's $10 BD Daily Deals, along with Brocka's Cain and Abel, and, once again, Alien From L.A. :wink:

dwk

#1602 Post by dwk » Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:15 pm

Today's VSA announcement is Black Cat & Black Cat 2

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#1603 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:08 pm

I thought Black Cat was quite dull when I saw it some years ago. I’ve always meant to see the sequel just for the having the best title in the history of cinema, Black Cat 2: Assassination of Boris Yeltsin.

Mr Sausage

#1604 Post by Mr Sausage » Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:35 pm

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:08 pm
I thought Black Cat was quite dull when I saw it some years ago. I’ve always meant to see the sequel just for the having the best title in the history of cinema, Black Cat 2: Assassination of Boris Yeltsin.
Black Cat is more interesting than Point of No Return at least. Mostly what stood out to me was how weird it felt. Here's my write-up from last year:

Mr Sausage wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:40 pm
The movie that shot Jade Leung to HK stardom and landed her a few awards. Intended as a remake of La Femme Nikita, the filmmakers couldn’t secure the rights, so they just ripped it off instead. There’s a certain off-kilter disturbance to the movie, especially in the opening: it’s often done in the style of a western movie, and then the action starts and you get the swiftness, slightly overtuned editing, and greater rhythmic sense of HK filmaking. It’s an odd feeling, like two sensibilities colliding. There’s also the usual HK indifference to non-Chinese actors. They read their lines in a monotone like they’re reciting them off a piece of paper someone just handed them, sometimes unintelligibly or with outright flubs and self corrections. Tho’ we're meant to be in America, a lot of the actors have Australian accents; and one mission set in New York is plainly happening in the wilds of BC. It’s such a strange experience; so much is just off. For a D&B production, there isn’t a lot of action, and when it does arise it’s fairly simple, again more like an American film. The film also seems thirty minutes too short, like its missing the last act. For all that, it's a pacy, consistently entertaining movie. In no way exceptional or noteworthy, but an ok time.

dwk

#1605 Post by dwk » Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:21 pm

Today's Cinématographe asnnouncement is Red Rock West Blu-ray.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1606 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:39 pm

A great movie but I’m prob fine with my German Blu ray that cost like nine dollars

dwk

#1607 Post by dwk » Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:13 pm

Red Rock West is from a new 4k scan of the Interpositive, so it should look better than previous releases. Having said that, the price for these fancy VS editions is a little much.

TechnicolorAcid

#1608 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:09 pm

To be fair about the price, this is a slipcase housing a mediabook so I imagine the cost is purely packaging like their VSU line and they will have cheaper standard editions in the future if you want to save a couple bucks.

therewillbeblus

#1609 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:36 pm

Figures, caved and bought the UK blu last month

jazzo

#1610 Post by jazzo » Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:47 pm

Shit, that maybe have been on my recommendation. The Plan B one, right? I was recommending that one when I thought Kino’s rumoured release was still in the running.

I still think Plan B’s a great little edition with a solid transfer and substantial extras.

I’m tempted by the VS, but think I’m sticking with the UK.

therewillbeblus

#1611 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:56 pm

Yeah I watched it again recently and it looks the same old cruddy but perfectly suitable image. I revisit the film often enough where it might just be worth the double dip depending on how this looks

dwk

#1612 Post by dwk » Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:51 pm

Finch wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:37 pm
Thanks dwk! Here's hoping.
A standard edition of DARYL UHD has appeared at Hamilton book for $27.95 (They also have the standard UHDs of eXistenZ for $29.95 and The Prophecy Trilogy for $44.94)

hearthesilence

#1613 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:40 am

FWIW, Tough Guys Don't Dance will be screening from a 35mm print this Wednesday and Sunday night at Roxy Cinema with an introduction by Mailer's son, Michael Mailer, at Wednesday's screening. (EDIT: Friday's screening appears to have been cancelled.)

I'm not sure if I'd see it again, but I thought it was a good campy dark comedy, and a completely strange mix of things that seem at odds with each other - to be honest, I'm not sure if the film would be all that interesting if everything was executed with sharp precision and professionalism or if every element was thoroughly clumsy and amateurish. I get the impression that the producers thought they had a potential Blue Velvet on their hands when they agreed to finance it (Isabella Rossellini and Angelo Badalamenti's involvement doesn't seem coincidental), but even with Mailer directing his own novel, the filmmaking for better and worse lacks Lynch's skill and consistency in vision.

FWIW, the late Michael Wilmington reviewed this when it was originally released, and while other supporters like Dave Kehr and Vincent Canby recommended it with the caveat that it's enjoyably bad, Wilmington was one of the rare critics who had a much higher opinion than that. An excerpt:
Michael Wilmington wrote:Mailer's 1984 novel-from which he scripted and directed this charmingly cracked nightmare comedy-was a self-conscious existential thriller, full of ruminations on machismo and thick with seedy, rotten characters whose collective morality might have lodged easily in the belly of a flea.

The movie, in turn, is a self-conscious modern film noir, an ominous romantic farce fueled by the fear of homosexuality. Like the book, it's suffused with nightfall melancholy, the sour dread of late-morning hangovers, chewed-up honor and nameless fears sneaking under the sunlight. It's a story that dances through death's darkness and ends in a cackling blaze of witches' laughter.

And where the novel had gorgeous metaphors, the film-thanks to cinematographer John Bailey-has darkly gorgeous visuals. There are stark Edward Hopperesque streets here, plumed with mist and achingly clear gray daylight, briny night scenes washed in windy threat.

Mailer's three previous film-making efforts-those harsh, semi-improvised '60s works-didn't hint at the suave surface here. Even when the pace seems off or the staging a bit clumsy, Mailer and the actors get an edgy feel into nearly every scene.

The dialogue is a brew of Hemingway tough talk laced with oddball Joycean jive and rhetorical flourish; the cast chews into these lines with an insidious savor...

Some will find Tough Guys Don't Dance ludicrous; others will complain that it lacks big studio movie flash. True-but why mourn the absence of an expertise mostly made to distract audiences from the emptiness of the story they're being told?

Whatever else you can say about this film, it's alive with ideas and a rich, strange view of the world. Even at its most awkward moments, Mailer's brilliance shines out of nearly every scene.

Perhaps the movies should be grateful for the compliment he's paid them-albeit with tongue partly in cheek. Stealing time that might have been reserved for another big novel, Mailer diverts it into a homage to the films he loved as a young man. He almost revives the soul, as well as the surface, of film noir, making it again a dark, lucid mirror of society's corruptions, wicked hypocrisies and evil glamour.
Last edited by hearthesilence on Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Deltoid

#1614 Post by Mr. Deltoid » Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:51 am

hearthesilence wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:40 am
FWIW, Tough Guys Don't Dance will be screening from a 35mm print this Wednesday, Friday and Sunday night at Roxy Cinema with an introduction by Mailer's son, Michael Mailer, at Wednesday's screening.

I'm not sure if I'd see it again, but I thought it was a good campy dark comedy, and a completely strange mix of things that seem at odds with each other - to be honest, I'm not sure if the film would be all that interesting if everything was executed with sharp precision and professionalism or if every element was thoroughly clumsy and amateurish. I get the impression that the producers thought they had a potential Blue Velvet on their hands when they agreed to finance it (Isabella Rossellini and Angelo Badalamenti's involvement doesn't seem coincidental), but even with Mailer directing his own novel, the filmmaking for better and worse lacks Lynch's skill and consistency in vision.

FWIW, the late Michael Wilmington reviewed this when it was originally released, and while other supporters like Dave Kehr and Vincent Canby recommended it with the caveat that it's enjoyably bad, Wilmington was one of the rare critics who had a much higher opinion than that. An excerpt:
Michael Wilmington wrote:Mailer's 1984 novel-from which he scripted and directed this charmingly cracked nightmare comedy-was a self-conscious existential thriller, full of ruminations on machismo and thick with seedy, rotten characters whose collective morality might have lodged easily in the belly of a flea.

The movie, in turn, is a self-conscious modern film noir, an ominous romantic farce fueled by the fear of homosexuality. Like the book, it's suffused with nightfall melancholy, the sour dread of late-morning hangovers, chewed-up honor and nameless fears sneaking under the sunlight. It's a story that dances through death's darkness and ends in a cackling blaze of witches' laughter.

And where the novel had gorgeous metaphors, the film-thanks to cinematographer John Bailey-has darkly gorgeous visuals. There are stark Edward Hopperesque streets here, plumed with mist and achingly clear gray daylight, briny night scenes washed in windy threat.

Mailer's three previous film-making efforts-those harsh, semi-improvised '60s works-didn't hint at the suave surface here. Even when the pace seems off or the staging a bit clumsy, Mailer and the actors get an edgy feel into nearly every scene.

The dialogue is a brew of Hemingway tough talk laced with oddball Joycean jive and rhetorical flourish; the cast chews into these lines with an insidious savor...

Some will find Tough Guys Don't Dance ludicrous; others will complain that it lacks big studio movie flash. True-but why mourn the absence of an expertise mostly made to distract audiences from the emptiness of the story they're being told?

Whatever else you can say about this film, it's alive with ideas and a rich, strange view of the world. Even at its most awkward moments, Mailer's brilliance shines out of nearly every scene.

Perhaps the movies should be grateful for the compliment he's paid them-albeit with tongue partly in cheek. Stealing time that might have been reserved for another big novel, Mailer diverts it into a homage to the films he loved as a young man. He almost revives the soul, as well as the surface, of film noir, making it again a dark, lucid mirror of society's corruptions, wicked hypocrisies and evil glamour.
That's some lovely critical prose by Wilmington, perfectly capturing why the film is more than Bad-Movie-Fodder (though it is that as well). Thank's for digging that up heartthesilence!

hearthesilence

#1615 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:22 pm

You're welcome Mr. Deltoid!

What A Disgrace

#1616 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:53 pm

Five Women for the Killer is probably the dullest giallo I've seen, I wonder why it wasn't relegated to the Forgotten Gialli sets, whereas the genuinely well liked and not-at-all forgotten The Bloodstained Shadow is in part 6.

jazzo

#1617 Post by jazzo » Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:11 pm

March 2024 VS:

Phase IV (4K)
5 Card Stud
A Man Called Hero
The Playgirls and the Vampire
Herencia Diabolica

and

Spanish Bloodbath: Night of the Skull / Violent Blood Bath / The Fish With The Eyes of Gold

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1618 Post by domino harvey » Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:18 pm

jazzo wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:11 pm
March 2024 VS:

5 Card Stud
I assume there’s another film called this, because I can’t imagine VS releasing a Dean Martin/Robert Mitchum western

EDIT: Wow, they actually are. It IS terrible, so I guess it makes sense for their model…

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1619 Post by tenia » Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:09 pm

It's actually a unique Hollywood genre hybrid from an acclaimed director celebrated and with an Academy Award nominee, a Rat Pack member, a cult character actor, a two time Emmy nominee, plus an early performance from a future star, for the first time ever released on BD !

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1620 Post by domino harvey » Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:18 pm

Ha! Here’s a write up from the Westerns thread by future county fair pie-baking winner domino harvey
domino harvey wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:22 pm
I really hope you all appreciate my Christlike sacrificial devotion to justly forgotten Westerns in this thread.

5 Card Stud (Henry Hathaway 1968) There are certain actors that rarely if ever show up in westerns, usually for good reason. Roddy McDowall is not a name I'd associate with the genre-- though, browsing IMDB to confirm my suspicions, this wasn't his only western. Regardless, while his sniveling adult screen persona lends itself well to playing the heavy, he is hopelessly miscast here. But at least the film he's miscast within is so terrible that no one will ever know. How can Dino palling around with Robert Mitchum's gun-toting preacher go wrong? Because everything in this movie goes wrong. Hathaway is a decent hired hand with no authorial touches, but even he's better than whatever is supposed to be happening here. Westerns can't really sustain mysteries and this one gives up the answer long before it thinks it does. The only thing separating this from some cut-rate western TV show from the same era is (insert covert mumbling)

And I know women rarely fare well in westerns anyway, but hadn't they suffered enough without pinning on their sex a black hole of talent like Katherine Justice?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Technical Issues and Questions

#1621 Post by swo17 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:06 pm

Partner label releases include Bubble Bath from Deaf Crocodile and Réjeanne Padovani from CIP. Some might also be interested in the Adams family's Where the Devil Roams (whose The Deeper You Dig got a release from Arrow). Does anyone recommend anything else?

TechnicolorAcid

#1622 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:36 pm

Don’t know why this is in the Technical Issues thread but I’ve had positive experiences with Deaf Crocodile’s Hungarian catalogue so I’d say that Bubble Bath will be up my same level of enjoyment and possibly yours too if you like eccentric animation dealing with mature themes.
Last edited by TechnicolorAcid on Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1623 Post by swo17 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:31 pm

TechnicolorAcid wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:36 pm
Don’t know why this is in the Technical Issues thread
Clearly I should not be allowed to operate heavy machinery today

Finch

#1624 Post by Finch » Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:06 pm

Also, two Hong Kong titles, Man on the Brink from Kani which sounds interesting, and A Man called Hero at VS Archive.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#1625 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:31 pm

I haven’t seen A Man Called Hero, but a lot of those early CGI Hong Kong films are rough and are so unenjoyable. I can’t think of any other than those directed by Stephen Chow that I’ve enjoyed.

Man on the Brink is a wonderful surprise release. On the power of this and Alex Cheung’s Cops and Robbers, he should’ve been a bigger director, but never quite got there. While C&R has the sort of frenetic mood changes I love in Hong Kong cinema as it goes from crass humor, to serial killer horror, to police melodrama, MotB is far grimmer, more violent police thriller that looks forward to the films of Ringo Lam. Would pair very nicely with Lam’s City on Fire as they share many elements.