Business Models: Twilight Time vs. Other Boutique Labels

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
fdm

Re: Business Models: Twilight Time vs. Other Boutique Labels

#676 Post by fdm » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:30 pm

Here's TT's reaction to all this recent activity (taken from moderator's post at blu-ray.com):
From Twilight Time:
.....[the] speculation about TT's future based on one out of context post taken from a site -- it would be a full time job to keep correcting all of these misinterpretations, but suffice to say, we are still here and going strong -- this misinformation about going to limited editions of 1,500 started at another site a couple of years ago and never goes away -- but if the readers would only look at the packaging they would know we have never done it -- and have no plans to do so in the foreseeable future. The reality is 2020 *is* being regarded by many companies in the industry as a make or break time, with the across-the-board decline in sales nationwide a factor in determining whether physical media will be viable beyond that point .....
(And yup can't post anything else about it over there now. Guess I missed the more venomous posts. Over there...)

Ribs

#677 Post by Ribs » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:36 pm

I'm sure most industries set an arbitrary date to suddenly stop being profitable and just call it quits three years from now

fdm

#678 Post by fdm » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:44 pm

Not sure where I saw this, but Sony must be feeling that the end is getting near, at least according to this article. But then again it is Sony...

matrixschmatrix

#679 Post by matrixschmatrix » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:08 am

I don't think anyone deny that home video has gotten far less profitable for the majors, but that was basically the only reason TT's model worked in the first place- there's a lot of room for specialty and boutique labels in an industry that isn't worth a multi billion dollar international corporation's while.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#680 Post by tenia » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:57 am

domino harvey wrote:You can add Twilight Time to the list of labels getting preferential treatment from Blu-ray.com-- I saw some surprisingly critical posts earlier today and was like, "Wow, even the sycophants are calling them out" and then poof, they're gone. Maybe that forum seems like such a soulless, kissass place just because those are the only posts that ever remain undeleted?
Which is tremendously ironic as there was a time in the past where TT stopped sending them screeners for reviews because they felt they were being unfairly negative towards them.
Note however that this notably happened with the old-as-crap master used for Heaven & Earth which actually got a much too good PQ grade at blu-ray.com.

FrauBlucher

Business Models: Twilight Time vs. Other Boutique Labels

#681 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:52 am

fdm wrote:Not sure where I saw this, but Sony must be feeling that the end is getting near, at least according to this article. But then again it is Sony...
I'm sure this is more about new releases than catalogue, especially of older films, which that profitability disappeared a long time ago. So, does that mean that the major labels will start licensing out new releases to boutiques who want to release new films?

MichaelB

#682 Post by MichaelB » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:00 am

Interestingly, after years of being one of the big major studio holdouts in the UK, Sony back catalogue titles are exploding onto the UK market via Criterion UK, Eureka and Indicator.