Business Models: Twilight Time vs. Other Boutique Labels

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Perkins Cobb

Business Models: Twilight Time vs. Other Boutique Labels

#1 Post by Perkins Cobb » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:33 am

Fox announces the dorkily named Twilight Time (as in, you'll have absolutely no interest in this crap if you're not about to die from extreme age) sub-label, which I guess falls somewhere between the Paramount/Olive Films relationship and the other studios' MOD programs. Mail-order exclusives, but real DVDs with bonus content. A trickle of releases compared to Warner Archive, but I'm not complaining (did I mention that they'll be real DVDs?).

First two are The Kremlin Letter and Violent Saturday, which must've been ready to go when the DVD market crashed. Then Fate Is the Hunter (a guilty pleasure), April Love, and The Egyptian.

Cold Bishop

Re: Twilight Time Catalog Intiative

#2 Post by Cold Bishop » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:00 am

Indeed, Kremlin Letter was released in Europe in what I imagine will be the same transfer. Either way, I highly recommend the film: despite its reputations, its one of Huston's masterpieces, as good as Treasure of the Sierra Madre or The Dead, and perhaps the toughest, grimmest entry into the spy film genre. Jean-Pierre Melville was about the only person at the time who thought it was a masterpiece, and it's not hard to see why: it picks up where Army of Shadows left off.

I don't know to be glad that they're pressing DVDs, or bewildered they just don't go with Burn-on-demand instead of this potentially awful model.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3 Post by domino harvey » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:25 am

Fox wins a place in my heart for offering real DVDs, that's for sure. Sounds like they'll be cycling through all those Spanish Fox releases

knives

#4 Post by knives » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:59 pm

No more Spanish imports? Thank god, add in that I'm actually interested in these movies and I'm more than comfy with whatever the hell it is they're doing. WB really could learn a lesson from them. Also doesn't this remind anybody of Disney's collectors things for their old cartoons?

colinr0380

#5 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:19 pm

Interesting, though the mail order exclusive thing could be an issue. Presumably Fox doesn't care about proper (wide) distribution any more. Here's the official announcement. The other good news is that Twilight Films are bringing the long lost concept of isolated scores back! It seems as if it has been a long time since I last saw a disc containing one of those (the Blu-Ray updating of Alien and Synapse's disc of Vampire Circus excepted).
TWILIGHT TIME will be focusing its initial efforts on bringing out heretofore unreleased-on-DVD films from the 1950s and 60s: what Redman calls “Fox's Cinemascope period, those gorgeous widescreen entertainments that had it all—beauty, glamour, drama.” But, he adds, “We will also be selectively tackling the earlier years—the 1930s and 40s—and sampling every genre, presenting, hopefully, something for everyone.”
A genuine devotion to our cinematic heritage is the heart of the matter for both TWILIGHT TIME founders. “Our label is called Twilight Time,” explains Redman, “because that is what we are facing: the sun setting on the world of physical media. But before all the light ultimately fades over the horizon, we aim to make Fox’s legacy shine as brilliantly as possible for as long as we can.”
Last edited by colinr0380 on Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Props55

#6 Post by Props55 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:22 pm

But before all the light ultimately fades over the horizon, we aim to make Fox’s legacy shine as brilliantly as possible for as long as we can.”
Wow! Reminds me of Gary Cooper framed against the setting Cinemascope sun in the final shot of GARDEN OF EVIL: "If all the earth were made of gold, men would kill themselves for a handful of dirt." :shock:

Mr Sausage

#7 Post by Mr Sausage » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:14 pm

Am I the only one who finds that Garden of Evil quote totally nonsensical?

knives

#8 Post by knives » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:18 pm

I find it totally ridiculous too. If all the earth were gold gold would be worth as much as dirt is today.

Murdoch

#9 Post by Murdoch » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:26 pm

knives wrote:I find it totally ridiculous too. If all the earth were gold gold would be worth as much as dirt is today.
I think that's what the quote is poorly attempting to convey.

eerik

Re: Blu-ray, in General

#10 Post by eerik » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:30 pm

knives wrote:Wait, what? I thought Fright Night already had a release. Are they talking about the sequel instead? Either way better than MODing these things.
There is no Blu-ray for Fright Night. I actually don't like this deal. On the positive side: it gives many films their first (and only?) Blu-ray release, on the negative side: the marketing scheme is bullshit. There were many negative comments towards MoC when they put a "limited edition" labels on Silent Running and Touch of Evil Blu-rays, but this is much worse. They are deliberately pressing few copies so they could sell them at $40 (plus shipping). Random example: for that amount of money I could buy two copies of MoC's Coeur fidèle, which probably isn't going to sell many copies anyway.

Gregory

#11 Post by Gregory » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:03 pm

TWILIGHT TIME, Jamieson explains, is motivated by a desire “to optimize the film enthusiast’s dream, providing long sought-after collectible and fully restored titles, in their original aspect ratios, all manufactured to the highest quality available, and at an affordable price.”
These are really going to be $40 each, plus shipping? Well, for that price, each one will include an 8-page "collectible booklet" (far better than the uncollectible variety) and an isolated score (which they point out is the kind of extra that film enthusiasts covet most).
EDIT: I now see that their Blu of The Egyptian was priced at $39.95. Seems like it'll be hard for them to even sell a limited run of 3000 at those prices.
Last edited by Gregory on Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kirkinson

#12 Post by Kirkinson » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:07 pm

Gregory wrote:and an isolated score (which they point out is the kind of extra that film enthusiasts covet most).
To be fair, this is what the article actually says about that:
And each TWILIGHT TIME disc provides, whenever possible, that extra most coveted by cinemusic enthusiasts: an isolated score.
EDIT: Furthermore, the press release seems to originate from http://www.screenarchives.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; themselves, and since they deal mostly in selling soundtracks, it would make sense for them to highlight what actually is a huge incentive for their regular customers.

Gregory

#13 Post by Gregory » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:27 pm

I guess I was reading too quickly (and had never encountered the word "cinemusic" before). Anyway, the bottom line is that it seems like behind this unconvincing sales pitch is a regrettable business model that may be an attempt to test the limits of what the most devoted among us will pay if there is only a short window of availability and no option to rent. It strikes me as not only regrettable but unnecessary, considering that other small labels can license masters of restored films from the big studios and sell them for a significantly lower price than this (or produce far more extras, or both).

dwk

#14 Post by dwk » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:12 pm

On their Facebook page, Twilight Time said that the Sony titles will be between $29.95 and $34.95 and that they will release Picnic and Pal Joey.

Jeff

#15 Post by Jeff » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:15 am

domino harvey wrote:Why did this thread get moved from the Fox subforum? No wonder I couldn't find it.
I moved it when they started licensing Sony films too. When the thread was started, it seemed to be assumed that Twilight Time was a Fox subsidiary. Turns out that's not the case at all. They're a third party who licenses films from major studios - much like Criterion.

dwk

#16 Post by dwk » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:26 pm

Twilight Time posted the following on Facebook about Fright Night being down to 500 copies:
Well, I think it's substantially less than that now...would imagine the title will be sold out by next week.

dwk

#17 Post by dwk » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:08 am

Looks like it didn't make it to next week. The Fright Night Blu-ray is now sold out.

Perkins Cobb

#18 Post by Perkins Cobb » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:10 am

Well, is there any guarantee they won't just press another batch?

Feego

#19 Post by Feego » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:27 am

I really don't understand Sony's decision to license this film out for a limited Blu-ray release. It's obviously a very popular title, and the recent remake likely brought it even more attention. Most of the other Twilight releases have been relatively obscure films or at least less popular "minor" classics, but this and the Harryhausen should have been guaranteed big sellers for Sony.

dwk

#20 Post by dwk » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:57 am

Perkins Cobb wrote:Well, is there any guarantee they won't just press another batch?
No. Twilight Time's contract was for 3000 copies only. Maybe, when their deal expires, Sony will license the film to another company, but I doubt if that will happen. Best chance for another Blu-ray release is for someone to release it in Europe.

Perkins Cobb

#21 Post by Perkins Cobb » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:46 am

So all the real money gets made by the people who now have them listed on Amazon and Ebay for $50-$100. High five, Sony & Twilight Time!

Props55

#22 Post by Props55 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:06 pm

Yeah and then these stupid a-holes wonder why they have a problem with piracy. Where did they get their marketing degrees? Dumber than a bag of rocks!

Thomas Dukenfield

#23 Post by Thomas Dukenfield » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:37 pm

Feego wrote:I really don't understand Sony's decision to license this film out for a limited Blu-ray release. It's obviously a very popular title, and the recent remake likely brought it even more attention. Most of the other Twilight releases have been relatively obscure films or at least less popular "minor" classics, but this and the Harryhausen should have been guaranteed big sellers for Sony.
Yeah, Fright Night is pretty much a mainstream 80's cult classic. I'm sure if it sold in stores and on Amazon for $20 or so, it would sell very well (for an older title). 3000 is a ridiculously low number. Even obscure cult DVD/blu-ray limited edition releases will get pressings of 5000-10000. The Alien 2: On Earth blu is limited to 30,000, and The Beyond limited tin was limited to 30,000 and sold out within a couple of years, despite the regular DVD being available the entire time. The movie crosses over between 80's mainstream nostalgia and horror fans, but apparently Sony is oblivious to potential sales.

eerik

#24 Post by eerik » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:47 am

Feego wrote:I really don't understand Sony's decision to license this film out for a limited Blu-ray release.
Who said it was Sony's decision? It's Twilight Time's modus operandi.

Feego

#25 Post by Feego » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:33 am

It was Sony's decision to license the film out. Twilight didn't steal it from them. All of the Twilight releases are limited. Hence, Sony made the decision to license their film to a company for a limited release.