Kino Lorber Studio Classics

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Kino Insider

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#1551 Post by Kino Insider » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:25 pm

Coming December 11th on DVD and Blu-ray!

Wild Women (1970 TV Movie)

• Brand New HD Master from a 2K Scan of the Original Camera Negative
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Lee Gambin

Color 74 Minutes 1.33:1 Not Rated
In this 1970 western directed by Don Taylor (The Great Scout and Cathouse Thursday, The Island of Dr. Moreau), Hugh O’Brian (Ambush Bay) plays an Army engineer who recruits a band of boisterous female prisoners to accompany him on an undercover map-making assignment. The wonderful cast includes Anne Francis (The Satan Bug), Marie Windsor (Support Your Local Gunfighter), Marilyn Maxwell (The Lemon Drop Kid), Sherry Jackson (Come Next Spring) and Cynthia Hull (High Yellow).
Last edited by Kino Insider on Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kino Insider

#1552 Post by Kino Insider » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:54 pm

Coming December 11!
First Time on DVD and Blu-ray!

The Last Command (1955) with optional English subtitles

• Brand New HD Master from a 4K Scan of the 35mm Trucolor Original Negative
• Audio Commentary by Alamo Historian Frank Thompson, the author of "Alamo Movies" and "The Alamo: A Cultural History"
• KLSC Trailers

Color 110 Minutes 1.66:1 Not Rated
It’s 1834. Texas is being strangled by the tyrannical military rule of General Santa Anna (J. Carrol Naish, Canadian Pacific), Mexico’s power-mad president. When frontier hero Jim Bowie (Sterling Hayden, Naked Alibi, The Long Goodbye) returns to his besieged homeland, he finds the embittered Texans plotting rebellion against his old friend Santa Anna. When Santa Anna’s cruel grip tightens around his fellow Texans, Bowie soon realizes he must side against the Mexican despot. Commanding a ragtag regiment of frontier fighters, Bowie prepares to make a final stand at the famed Fort Alamo against superior forces. Though they are all doomed to die, the outnumbered Texan defenders fight heroically for freedom in one of the fiercest and bloodiest battles in American history. The final feature film directed by the two-time Academy Award-winning filmmaker Frank Lloyd (Mutiny on the Bounty) features an amazing cast that includes Anna Maria Alberghetti (Ten Thousand Bedrooms), Richard Carlson (The Maze), Arthur Hunnicutt (El Dorado), Ernest Borgnine (Marty), Ben Cooper (A Strange Adventure), John Russell (TV’s Lawman), Virginia Grey (Unknown Island), Jim Davis (TV’s Dallas), Eduard Franz (The Scar), Otto Kruger (Saboteur), Russell Simpson (The Grapes of Wrath) and Slim Pickins (The Getaway).

What A Disgrace

#1553 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:13 pm

Oh, THAT Last Command.

Kino Insider

#1554 Post by Kino Insider » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:34 pm

Coming January 8th!

The House That Would Not Die (1970) with optional English subtitles
• Brand New 2K Master
• Interview with director John Llewellyn Moxey
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Richard Harland Smith

Color 74 Minutes 1.33:1 Not Rated
Ruth Bennett (Barbara Stanwyck, Witness to Murder, The Lady Eve) has inherited an old house in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania Amish country. She moves into the house with her niece, Sara Dunning (Kitty Winn, The Panic in Needle Park, The Exorcist). The house was built before the Revolutionary War and is said to be haunted by the spirits of its original inhabitants. With the help of Pat McDougal (Richard Egan, The 300 Spartans, GOG), a local professor, and one of his students, Stan Whitman (Michael Anderson Jr., The Sons of Katie Elder, Major Dundee), they delve into the history of the house and find a scandal that involves a Revolutionary War general, who was suspected of being a traitor, and his daughter, who had disappeared after eloping with her boyfriend, a young British soldier. The spirits of the general and his daughter take possession of Pat's and Sara's bodies and a dark secret is revealed. Directed by legendary TV-movie director John Llewellyn Moxey (The Night Stalker, Home for the Holidays) and with a teleplay by the great Henry Farrell (What Ever Happened to Baby Jane, Hush… Hush, Sweet Charlotte).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1555 Post by domino harvey » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:38 pm

Oh, THAT the House That Would Not Die.

kidc

#1556 Post by kidc » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:39 pm

ianthemovie wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:55 am
Specs for First Women Filmmakers. Looks amazing!
The two serials that are partially featured - are they telling an ongoing story or is each episode relatively self-contained?

If anyone else is interested, here's the overlap with Flicker Alley's Early Women Filmmakers:
Falling Leaves (AGB)
Suspense (Weber)
... and I think that's it?

This looks like an incredible set, are BFI likely to release this in the UK?

Kino Insider

#1557 Post by Kino Insider » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:23 pm

Coming Soon on DVD and Blu-ray!
Brand New 2K Master!

Losin' It (1983) Starring Tom Cruise, Shelley Long, Jackie Earle Haley, John Stockwell, Henry Darrow, Rick Rossovich and Joe Spinell - Shot by Gilbert Taylor (Star Wars, Flash Gordon) - Screenplay by Bill Norton (Convoy, Back to the Beach) - Directed by Curtis Hanson (L.A. Confidential, Wonder Boys).

Kino Insider

#1558 Post by Kino Insider » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:14 pm

Coming Soon on DVD and Blu-ray!
Brand New 2K Restoration!

The Landlord (1970) Starring Beau Bridges, Lee Grant, Diana Sands, Pearl Bailey, Walter Brooke, Louis Gossett Jr., Susan Anspach and Robert Klein - Screenplay by Bill Gunn (Ganja & Hess) - Based on the book by Kristin Hunter - Shot by Gordon Willis (The Godfather) - Produced by Norman Jewison (The Thomas Crown Affair) - Directed by Hal Ashby (Coming Home).
Last edited by Kino Insider on Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1559 Post by domino harvey » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:15 pm

Many here will be quite excited by this announcement!

Cold Bishop

#1560 Post by Cold Bishop » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:34 pm

It's Ashby's best film.

starmanof51

#1561 Post by starmanof51 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:36 pm

Concur
Cold Bishop wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:34 pm
It's Ashby's best film.

Randall Maysin

#1562 Post by Randall Maysin » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:34 pm

I thought it was interesting but no lost classic - fairly to pretty good, and wonderfully atmospheric, in all of its small moments, but a disaster, especially in the dialogue department, whenever it dares to go big, except in that wonderful hostile 'welcoming party' the tenants give for Beau Bridges. Which is sad for me, because its a movie I really wanted to like - it has a great subject, lots of the most gifted black actors around, laudatory Pauline Kael review, etc. Lee Grant is excellent and hilarious, in a role and performance that has more than a touch of Jessica Walter in Arrested Development in it, and Diana Sands is a queen and certainly shows her stuff, but her role is, for the most part, extremely crudely written, and alas, the scene with her "biggest" moments,
SpoilerShow
when Louis Gossett, Jr., attacks Beau Bridges with an axe
, looks to be not written at all, but miserably improvised by all involved. Though she still prevails in this somewhat and shows her stuff.
Last edited by Randall Maysin on Fri May 29, 2020 3:20 am, edited 3 times in total.

Roger Ryan

#1563 Post by Roger Ryan » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:09 pm

Others might be intrigued that the screenplay for The Landlord is credited to Bill Gunn, who wrote it the same year he wrote/directed Stop. This now means that all of Ashby's 70s releases are on Blu-ray, which didn't necessarily seem likely only a few years ago.

Kino Insider

#1564 Post by Kino Insider » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:46 pm

Coming Soon!
Brand New 2K Restorations of both the U.S. cut and the International cut!

The Earthling (1980) Starring William Holden, Ricky Schroder & Jack Thompson - Shot by Donald McAlpine (Predator, Patriot Games, Moulin Rouge!) - Directed by Peter Collinson (The Man Called Noon, The Italian Job, Ten Little Indians).

whaleallright

#1565 Post by whaleallright » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:43 pm

starmanof51 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:36 pm
Concur
Cold Bishop wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:34 pm
It's Ashby's best film.
it's either this or The Last Detail, both of which suggest that Ashby was a good director who was really at the mercy of his scripts. these are both marvelous scripts... some of his other films, less so.

hearthesilence

#1566 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:42 pm

whaleallright wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:43 pm
it's either this or The Last Detail, both of which suggest that Ashby was a good director who was really at the mercy of his scripts. these are both marvelous scripts... some of his other films, less so.
This is close to how I feel about Ashby as well. I probably prefer The Last Detail the most, partly because of Nicholson and Towne's script, but I'd say The Last Detail and Being There are likely his best films as a director. The Landlord isn't far behind though - I saw it at BAM a few months after I moved into more or less Park Slope, and unfortunately any talk about the screening was overwhelmed by the novelty value of knowing how much the neighborhood had changed. (It was soon ranked the best neighborhood in all of New York.)

Cold Bishop

#1567 Post by Cold Bishop » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:54 pm

Beyond the actual thematic content, I love the way the ensemble cast and improvisational looseness match up with Ashby's editing experimentation (this is the film that most shows Ashby's background there). It's a very "open" film in the Demme/Bogdanovich mode, but with a (bitter)sweet playful offbeat which reminds me a lot of Forman's Taking Off and really a lot of the Czech New Wave stuff.

whaleallright

#1568 Post by whaleallright » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:34 pm

I can see what people admire about Being There and it's certainly a fine piece of direction and a remarkable lead performance -- both very reserved, if ironically a little ostentatiously so.
still, I find the whole thing rather pretentious -- it seems to aspire to a profundity it doesn't earn, and the conceit nearly wears out its welcome.
the looseness you mention, and a mix of tones (astringency and pathos) enlivens The Last Detail and The Landlord. for whatever reason, the latter makes a lot of sense to me as the sort of film an editor would make, while the former is remarkable, like Being There, for its restraint. lots of scenes that unfold mostly in fairly distant long takes.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1569 Post by Drucker » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:08 pm

I loved Being There. I found it one of those films that just works and I was wholly immersed and invested in. I don't believe it attempted to be profound, especially given the outtakes at the end of the film, which seem to work as evidence that Sellers understood how ridiculous the film really was.

knives

#1570 Post by knives » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:24 pm

Sellers actually hated the outtakes and thought they ruined his Oscar chances.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1571 Post by Drucker » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:29 pm

Ha! Well I loved it.

Roger Ryan

#1572 Post by Roger Ryan » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:14 am

I agree with Sellers - he thought the outtakes disrupted the charm cast by the final shot. When the film played on American broadcast television, the outtakes couldn't be used due to the language so wavy television interference played behind the credits - it was much more effective.

Roscoe

#1573 Post by Roscoe » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:54 am

Drucker wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:08 pm
I loved Being There. I found it one of those films that just works and I was wholly immersed and invested in. I don't believe it attempted to be profound, especially given the outtakes at the end of the film, which seem to work as evidence that Sellers understood how ridiculous the film really was.
I don't think Sellers found BEING THERE ridiculous. There were plenty of accounts at the time of Sellers' identification with the role, he'd apparently been obsessed with the novel for a long time before it was filmed, even writing Jerzy Kosinsky a letter signed Chance The Gardener, which seems rather a contradiction in terms if you think about it....

Kino Insider

#1574 Post by Kino Insider » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:53 pm

Coming Soon on Blu-ray!

The Land Unknown (1957) Starring Jock Mahoney, Shirley Patterson, Williams Reynolds, Henry Brandon, Douglas Kennedy & Phil Harvey - Shot in Scope by Ellis W. Carter (Twice-Told Tales) - Produced by William Alland (Revenge of the Creature) - Screenplay by László Görög (The Affairs of Susan) - Directed by Virgil W. Vogel (The Mole People).

Kino Insider

#1575 Post by Kino Insider » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:15 pm

Coming January 2nd!

The Bounty (1984) with optional English subtitles

• Audio commentary by director Roger Donaldson, producer Bernard Williams and production designer John Graysmark
• Audio commentary by historical consultant Stephens Walters
• 5.1 Surround and 2.0 Stereo Audio
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 132 Minutes 2.35:1 Rated PG
Screen legends Anthony Hopkins (The Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal) and Mel Gibson (The Road Warrior, Braveheart) lead a stellar cast that includes Sir Laurence Olivier (Rebecca), Daniel Day-Lewis (The Crucible), Edward Fox (The Day of the Jackal), Bernard Hill (Titanic) and Liam Neeson (The Grey) in this action-packed adventure bursting with sensational battles, raging storms and an intensity as powerful as the mighty sea itself. Bristling with commanding performances, blazing dialogue and superb action scenes, this spectacular movie is everything a high-adventure fan could want. Hopkins delivers a brilliant portrayal as William Bligh, a real-life sea captain who, in 1787, steered The Bounty on a 27,000-mile voyage into danger, chaos and madness. After 31 days of battling severe sea squalls and Bligh's ever-increasing cruelty, the weary crew is relieved to finally land on a remote island. But soon their tyrannical captain wants to sail again, and the desperate men turn to first mate Fletcher Christian (Gibson) to help them take the ship back... or die trying. Directed by Roger Donaldson (Cadillac Man) with a screenplay by Robert Bolt (Lawrence of Arabia), based on a novel by Richard Hough (Captain Bligh and Mr. Christian).

The Scarlet Letter (1995) with optional English subtitles

• Audio Commentary by director Roland Joffé
• 5.1 Surround and 2.0 Stereo Audio
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 135 Minutes 2.35:1 Rated R
An erotic tale of forbidden love! Sexy Demi Moore (Disclosure, Indecent Proposal) heats up this powerfully sensual story of illicit love. In a time when adultery is punishable by death, Hester Prynne (Moore) becomes involved in a risky and scandalous affair with her town's handsome minister (Gary Oldman, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy). But when their secret passion results in a child, Hester is confronted with the town's overwhelming scorn... and is condemned to forever wear the scarlet letter "A" as a public brand of shame. A proactive retelling of the classic tale of forbidden love, The Scarlet Letter combines a sizzling story with exciting stars and delivers must-see entertainment. Directed by Roland Joffé (The Mission, The Killing Fields) with a screenplay by Douglas Day Stewart (An Officer and a Gentleman), based on a novel by Nathaniel Hawthorne (The House of the Seven Gables). The stellar cast includes Robert Duvall (True Confessions), Joan Plowright (Enchanted April), Edward Hardwicke (The Return of Sherlock Holmes) and Robert Prosky (The Chamber).

Washington Square (1997) with optional English subtitles

• Audio Commentary by director Agnieszka Holland
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 115 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated PG
She must choose between her father’s fortune and the man she loves! Riveting performances from an all-star cast highlight this passionate tale of a young heiress who must choose between love or money. Jennifer Jason Leigh (Rush, Heart of Midnight, A Thousand Acres) is Catherine, a lonely young woman in search of happiness... until she is swept off her feet by the handsome Morris Townsend (Ben Chaplin, Feast of July). Suspicious of the young man's true intentions, however, her controlling father (Albert Finney, Murder on the Orient Express) threatens to disown Catherine if she follows her heart and marries against his wishes. Directed by Agnieszka Holland (Europa Europa, The Secret Garden) with a screenplay by Carol Doyle (Veronica Guerin), based on a novel by Henry James (The Heiress). Maggie Smith (The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie), Judith Ivey (Hello Again), Jennifer Garner (13 Going on 30) and Peter Maloney (The Thing) co-star in this timeless story both powerful and entertaining.