Scream Factory: Nightbreed Director's Cut

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Scream Factory: Nightbreed Director's Cut

#26 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:27 pm

Thanks for the Amazon heads-up. I went ahead and preordered this even though I'm not sure I want it at $55 since A, Amazon won't charge me til it ships in October so I have plenty of time to make up my mind by then based on what's on the bonus discs, B, I'm sure this will sell out soon, C, it will be easily resell-able for twice or more what I pay for it not long after its release (if I want)

Mr Sausage

#27 Post by Mr Sausage » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:47 pm

Christ, on amazon.ca the limited edition is 84 dollars--ten dollars more than it would cost me to order it from .com. I think I'll just get the regular edition.

Movie-Brat

#28 Post by Movie-Brat » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:18 pm

Okay seriously, why the expensive price? Is it really the poster? Because that limited edition cover looks normal. It's not a friggin' box set.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#29 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:22 pm

The poster's for the direct orders from the website only. The high price direct from Shout! is for low limited edition numbers too, which is apparently a thing people care enough about to spend $25+ more than ordering from Amazon. So, to answer your question, I don't know

cdnchris
Site Admin

#30 Post by cdnchris » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:36 pm

Apparently it has to do with licensing the theatrical cut from Warner, who also told them to limit the run that includes it.

Professor Wagstaff

#31 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:38 pm

Does anyone know what the difference is in the added 40 minutes? I saw the theatrical cut and didn't care for it, but I'm curious to check out the new version based on Barker's new cut.

Movie-Brat

#32 Post by Movie-Brat » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:59 pm

cdnchris wrote:Apparently it has to do with licensing the theatrical cut from Warner, who also told them to limit the run that includes it.
Oh Christ, and WB is the company who hasn't okay'd a film like Creepshow to be a Scream Factory release.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#33 Post by cdnchris » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:05 am

There's still the cheaper release with just the director's cut but of course that one has no features. Like Wagstaff I wasn't impressed with tbe original cut so if I do consider getting the film (and I might since I do like a couple of Barker's other films and am curious) I would more than likely just get that one.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#34 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:17 am

The lower tier general release will have bonus features, just not the exclusive material to be found on the third disc

criterion10

#35 Post by criterion10 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:13 pm

Amazon has already sold out of the limited edition, even taking down its page entirely. I've never seen the film (I plan to watch the theatrical cut sometime this week), though I'm still kicking myself for not having picked up the LE. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#36 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:17 pm

You can have my copy for $18,000

criterion10

#37 Post by criterion10 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:24 pm

domino harvey wrote:You can have my copy for $18,000
Eh... I'll get back to you in a week.

dwk

#38 Post by dwk » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:25 pm

Criterion10, DiabolikDVD is still taking preorders for the limited edition as is Barnes and Noble (but some people have not had success getting B&N to fulfill other limited edition orders.)

criterion10

#39 Post by criterion10 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:35 pm

Thanks. I'm a member at B&N, so I wouldn't mind going through them. I guess I'll make my final decision after I watch the film in the next few days. All I hope is that the theatrical cut isn't too maligned that it prevents me from liking the film.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#40 Post by cdnchris » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:52 pm

I haven't seen it in years but I thought it was pretty shitty (had potential, though.)

Adam X

#41 Post by Adam X » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:19 am

I think the theatrical cut has more worth than it's often made out to have, it's really just another unfortunate case of the heart being ripped out by studio interference. Though if the novel is anything to go by, it's definitely one of the more extreme examples of this sort of issue.

While I haven't seen the Cabal Cut to be sure, I believe it was mostly that ol' chestnut character development that has been reinstated. Though at about 40 extra minutes, that's a fair bit more flesh to be added.
It features some great characters, occassionally very memorable dialogue, and stunning 'monster' make up & fx. Closer to Lord of Illusions than Hellraiser in tone and execution, my memories of it are likely a bit rose-tinted, but I for one am hugely looking forward to this release.

Adam X

#42 Post by Adam X » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:26 am

criterion10 wrote:Thanks. I'm a member at B&N, so I wouldn't mind going through them.
For what it's worth, I'd say Diabolik would be your only guaranteed etailer of the two to actually get you a copy of the Ltd, if my experiences during B&N CC sales is anything to go by.

Dylan

#43 Post by Dylan » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:15 am

Also cut from the theatrical release was some Harryhausen-esque stop-motion animation of monsters in Midian. The story goes that somebody at the studio thought they were inconsistent with the practical monsters and effects, so away they went. If I recall correctly, there are a few seconds of stop-motion left in the film but there was originally quite a bit more.

I saw this film on VHS when I was in the sixth grade and even then I thought it lacked something. On the plus side, it does have one of Danny Elfman's very, very best scores (I bought it shortly after seeing the movie and still listen to it a couple times a year).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Shout! Factory / Scream Factory

#45 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:41 pm

Laughing so hard at all the suckers who pre-ordered this at an exorbitant price. Hahahahey, wait a minute

Adam X

Re: Shout! Factory / Scream Factory

#46 Post by Adam X » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:32 pm

No, nothing dodgy about that, Shout Factory; though I guess we should've seen it coming. This release has been changing its strategy every other week.
They should just've called it a Ltd edition of 5000x2, maybe no one would've noticed.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#47 Post by swo17 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:42 pm

True fans will pick up a copy from each limited run.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#48 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:46 pm

Code: Select all

At least all those Shout Factory direct customers have low numbers because that matters to _______________
                                                                                            (Plural Noun)

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#49 Post by tenia » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:45 am

I would has thought they would at least drop the numbering on the 2nd set of 5000 but it seems not. I'm not sure it will be well received by those who already pre-ordered their copy, but I guess it's better than willing customers not being able to get what they want (TT-style).

But whatever, it seems sales estimations could have been better...

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#50 Post by domino harvey » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:39 pm