Signal One Entertainment

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Signal One Entertainment

#26 Post by domino harvey » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:17 pm

Mod note: Signal One, we're glad you're posting here, but please use this catch-all thread to post links to new reviews instead of starting unnecessary new topics!

Signal One Ent

#27 Post by Signal One Ent » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:39 pm

domino harvey wrote:Mod note: Signal One, we're glad you're posting here, but please use this catch-all thread to post links to new reviews instead of starting unnecessary new topics!
Will do. Thanks for putting my post back into the S1 thread!

ravenus

Re: Compulsion review

#28 Post by ravenus » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:55 am

Signal One Ent wrote:I'm delighted to say that Gary gives our Compulsion Blu-ray a rave review over at DVD Beaver!

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-ray_ ... lu-ray.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I love legal dramas, so ordered this off AmzUK. Looking forward to a solid viewing experience.

Forrest Taft

#29 Post by Forrest Taft » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:16 pm

Dvdcomare interviews James from Signal One, who's "on the verge of making an official announcement about upcoming titles", but reveals that Hathaways's Kiss of Death is coming soon, as well as a Fritz Lang.

mistakaninja

#30 Post by mistakaninja » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:01 pm

He mentioned Hathaway, Lang, and Peter Yates, and the Yates is Eyewitness. That and Kiss of Death are Fox, so maybe the Lang is Man Hunt?

manicsounds

#31 Post by manicsounds » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:25 pm

I was thinking the Lang titles would be his western films.

feihong

#32 Post by feihong » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:45 pm

I would love it to be Moonfleet, but I doubt that's a possibility. I think Warner might own the rights in the UK?

JamesF

#33 Post by JamesF » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:58 pm

Eyewitness is a neat choice, and one I've been curious to see for years as a longtime fan of Breaking Away (Yates' previous collaboration with writer Steve Tesich), though I understand it's a very different film. Great to see Signal One going from strength to strength!

MichaelB

#34 Post by MichaelB » Mon May 09, 2016 4:15 pm

Full specs of The Seven-Ups have been revealed:
• High Definition transfer
• Philip D'Antoni Introduction (2016)
• The Seven-Ups Connection (2016): new interview with director Philip D'Antoni
• A Tony Lo Bianco Type (2016): new interview with actor Tony Lo Bianco
• Real to Reel (2016): new interview with technical adviser Randy Jurgensen
• Cut to the Chase (2016): new documentary on the film's iconic car chase
• The Anatomy of a Chase (1973): vintage behind-the-scenes documentary
• Audio commentary with writer and film expert Richard Harland Smith
• Super 8 version (1973): original cut-down home cinema presentation
• Randy Jurgensen's Scrapbook
• Lobby cards and stills gallery
• Original theatrical teaser
• Original theatrical trailer
But as a side-effect of creating and compiling all this previously unannounced material, the release has unfortunately been delayed until 27 June - but it's a far, far better package now than it was when it was originally announced. The new interviews and the Cut to the Chase featurette range from 15 to 25 minutes apiece, with Randy Jurgensen being the real find - he's the distinguished New York City cop who became a technical adviser on a whole swathe of 1970s police dramas (including The French Connection and The Seven-Ups), and Cruising was based on his own undercover work in the 1960s. Handily, he was also one of the drivers in the car chase in The Seven-Ups, and he had so much to say about that that the footage ended up fuelling an unplanned additional featurette.

kneelzod

#35 Post by kneelzod » Tue May 10, 2016 11:33 am

MichaelB wrote:Full specs of The Seven-Ups have been revealed:
• High Definition transfer
• Philip D'Antoni Introduction (2016)
• The Seven-Ups Connection (2016): new interview with director Philip D'Antoni
• A Tony Lo Bianco Type (2016): new interview with actor Tony Lo Bianco
• Real to Reel (2016): new interview with technical adviser Randy Jurgensen
• Cut to the Chase (2016): new documentary on the film's iconic car chase
• The Anatomy of a Chase (1973): vintage behind-the-scenes documentary
• Audio commentary with writer and film expert Richard Harland Smith
• Super 8 version (1973): original cut-down home cinema presentation
• Randy Jurgensen's Scrapbook
• Lobby cards and stills gallery
• Original theatrical teaser
• Original theatrical trailer
But as a side-effect of creating and compiling all this previously unannounced material, the release has unfortunately been delayed until 27 June - but it's a far, far better package now than it was when it was originally announced. The new interviews and the Cut to the Chase featurette range from 15 to 25 minutes apiece, with Randy Jurgensen being the real find - he's the distinguished New York City cop who became a technical adviser on a whole swathe of 1970s police dramas (including The French Connection and The Seven-Ups), and Cruising was based on his own undercover work in the 1960s. Handily, he was also one of the drivers in the car chase in The Seven-Ups, and he had so much to say about that that the footage ended up fuelling an unplanned additional featurette.
Thrilled to see Signal One go all out on this and very happy to have helped out on it. Randy is a definite "find" and I'm really glad to see him so involved in this release. The featurettes look great, Michael!

What A Disgrace

#36 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue May 10, 2016 12:10 pm

I'm still waiting for Signal One to announce their next batch of releases; I had no idea they hadn't even revealed the full specs of one title from their last.

MichaelB

#37 Post by MichaelB » Tue May 10, 2016 12:11 pm

I understand an announcement is imminent.

rapta

#38 Post by rapta » Tue May 24, 2016 7:03 am

New titles lined up for the coming months...very exciting!

KISS OF DEATH (1947, Henry Hathaway) - July 25th
SHERLOCK HOLMES IN NEW YORK (1976, Boris Sagal) - July 25th
BETWEEN HEAVEN AND HELL (1956, Richard Fleischer) - August 29th
EYEWITNESS (1981, Peter Yates) - August 29th
THE PANIC IN NEEDLE PARK (1971, Jerry Schatzberg) - September 12th
RAWHIDE (1951, Henry Hathaway) - September 26th
THE CULPEPPER CATTLE CO. (1972, Dick Richards) - September 26th

I'm particularly excited for The Panic in Needle Park, which is a title I was really hoping would get a UK release. As for the others, I'm definitely up for both Hathaway titles (particularly Kiss of Death), the Fleischer is probably one to pick up at some point, and a 'maybe' on Eyewitness (it's a lesser Yates, but the cast sounds great). The Culpepper Cattle Co. looks like it could be very entertaining, so I'll probably keep an eye out for that too.

Presumably this means there's going to be an ongoing deal with Fox (or Fox/MGM), which bodes well for the future of the label as 4K restorations seem to be popping up quite frequently from their end.

I hope they can get Yates' Breaking Away one day...assuming nobody else beats them to it, that is!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#39 Post by domino harvey » Tue May 24, 2016 4:54 pm

And Kiss of Death will carry over the commentary for the Fox disc, meaning it's safely saleable (and the American Blu-ray isn't coming til next year from TT, where you'll be charged three times as much for the same content)

rapta

#40 Post by rapta » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:52 am

Beaver review of The Seven-Ups: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-ray_ ... lu-ray.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Supplements also go the way of the Signal One Blu-ray with Criterion-level extras"
There you go. You just beat them at their own game!

My copy arrived a couple of days ago and I'll try and watch it soon. May have set aside a whole weekend for all those extras!

Please say you'll give The Panic in Needle Park a similar treatment...very excited about that one!

David M.

#41 Post by David M. » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:09 pm

Obviously the Signal One is the package to get - dual-layered with the much higher (max'ed out) bitrate than the German BD. This shows up in richer, darker visuals, slightly warmer skin tones and superior texture and grain support.
The last comment (texture and grain) is true, but the bitrate doesn't affect gamma or color. The reason those look the way they do is because the encoding pipeline precisely replicates the source in those regards.

This was actually a BD25 originally and looked the same, but the amount of interviews and the deadline meant I asked for a 50. A dual layered disc really helps when you have bonus features coming in and there's no time to optimize them and manually massage the bitrate allocation.

MichaelB

#42 Post by MichaelB » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:39 am

Mondo Digital on The Seven-Ups.

Signal One Ent

#43 Post by Signal One Ent » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:39 pm

I'm pleased to share another positive review for THE SEVEN-UPS: http://dvdcompare.net/review.php?rid=4320

What A Disgrace

#44 Post by What A Disgrace » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:12 pm

The Magus, The Mephisto Waltz, Wellman's The Iron Curtain and Fritz Lang's Man Hunt are (part of?) their Q4 release slate.

rapta

#45 Post by rapta » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:33 pm

Saw these the other day. Wondering if they're gonna announce some for December too.

I posted a long list of titles a couple of months ago on their Facebook page, and they replied saying they were going to be announcing two of them very soon (from my list). One of those is Man Hunt, so I expect another one will be set for December - unless it's being pushed into 2017, of course.

Won a copy of Kiss of Death in a competition recently and just waiting for it to arrive now! Looking forward to seeing it (being a fan of both Mature and Widmark but never having seen it before).

rockysds

#46 Post by rockysds » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:20 am

The Sun Also Rises, Guns at Batasi, Panic in the Streets and Gordon Douglas' Stagecoach announced for early next year, and the titles announced for Q4 have been moved there as well according to Amazon.

Signal One Ent

#47 Post by Signal One Ent » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:32 pm

Here are final details of our forthcoming release of THE PANIC IN NEEDLE PARK:

- 2K restoration, supervised by director Jerry Schatzberg
- Jerry the Photographer (2004, 18 mins): Jerry Schatzberg discusses his early career
- Jerry the Filmmaker (2004, 22 mins): Schatzberg reflects on his work as a director
- Al & Jerry (2004, 10 mins): exploring the relationship between actor and director
- Jerry in Cannes (2004, 6 mins): the director recalls his selections at the Cannes Film Festival
- Selected scenes with director commentary (2004, 22 mins): Jerry Schatzberg reflects on five key sequences
- Panic in the Streets of New York (2011, 25 mins): featuring interviews with Jerry Schatzberg and cinematographer Adam Holender
- Writers in Needle Park (2011, 9 mins): interview with writer Joan Didion
- Original theatrical trailer
- New and improved English HoH subtitles

rapta

#48 Post by rapta » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:01 pm

Excellent!

In terms of on-disc extras, you've bettered both the Carlotta and Twilight Time. Will make an easy upgrade from my Second Sight DVD. Can't wait to get this one! :D

MichaelB

Signal One Entertainment

#49 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:17 pm

The Beev on The Culpepper Cattle Co.

Costa

#50 Post by Costa » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:14 am

MichaelB wrote:The Beev on The Culpepper Cattle Co.
Well, the DVD that once looked great - now appears green
:shock:
???

Why I don't see it?