Home Vision Entertainment

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
cafeman

#151 Post by cafeman » Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:14 am

Pinback wrote:
cafeman wrote:I feel a wave of blind Fukasaku buying coming up.
Go for Graveyard of Honor next...
That`s kinda what I was thinking...though Sympathy for the Underdog and Street Mobster are also under consideration.

Steven H

#152 Post by Steven H » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:44 pm

I'd like to throw another recommendation out for Masuhiro Shinoda's Pale Flower. This is certainly a criterion level release, a must buy for Japanese film fans I'd say. It's beautifully done in every way. Subdued natural acting, poetic mise en scene, incredible soundtrack (Takemitsu), gorgeous visuals and I was held in rapt attention by the detailed sound design. Off the top of my head, it might be my favorite yakuza film (though there are some Suzukis that certainly contend). I'm gushing. Also, the interview with the director is short but enlightening and entertaining (for instance, Shinoda originally wanted to be a scientist).

As much as I enjoyed Double Suicide, it in no way resembles this film (in case this was affecting some people's decisions). Though it does share the same theme of a man and woman fighting against a social ideal they don't share (maybe simplifying a bit). Let's hope the open season on Shinoda this year is as well recieved by forum strangers and all you people as it will be by me. With the Japanese and MoC releases, I'm counting upwards $400 or so at least I'll be spending... gladly (though there's a title or two I might pass up).

Also, I was hoping for some help. Could someone either explain the card game they play in the film or point me in the direction of someone or someting that can? I don't even know what you'd call it to search the web for it. "Japanese card game used in gambling yakuza films"?

Nihonophile

#153 Post by Nihonophile » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:29 am

Steven H wrote:Also, I was hoping for some help. Could someone either explain the card game they play in the film or point me in the direction of someone or someting that can? I don't even know what you'd call it to search the web for it. "Japanese card game used in gambling yakuza films"?
I don't remember the movie too well besides some of the stunning visuals, noirish plot, and its wall of sound so I'm taking a shot as to what game the yakuza played. My guess is that it was Oicho-Kabu which is something like japanese black jack. Sound about right?

Tribe
The Bastard Spawn of Hank Williams

#154 Post by Tribe » Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:07 am

I'd like to throw another recommendation out for Masuhiro Shinoda's Pale Flower.
Here, here...this is one of the better films I've seen in the past couple of years. The characters in this are so hard-boiled, they'd crack if they fell out a window.

Tribe

Steven H

#155 Post by Steven H » Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:37 am

Nihonophile wrote:Sound about right?
Yeah, thanks... I'll check that out. It would be nice to have some more familiarity with the game for a second viewing.
Tribe wrote:Here, here...this is one of the better films I've seen in the past couple of years.
Amazing stuff. It's also really interesting to see Eijiro Tono and Seiji Miyaguchi as the co-gang leaders, both were in Seven Samurai and Imamura's Ballad of Narayama together (Kurosawa regulars and other films) as well. Especially interesting to see Eijiro Tono playing basically the same character that we saw in Tokyo Story (friend that stumbles in with Ryu Chishu drunk) and An Autumn Afternoon (old friend with run down restaurant) but is now a gang boss instead of a *regular* aging person. A nice twist, and I wonder if this was a slight jab at Ozu? He was brought up in the interview included on the disc, respectfully, but with an edge.

Adding to all this, I think this movie has the only true suspense I've felt during an onscreen card game... and I don't even know how to play.

Pinback

#156 Post by Pinback » Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:51 am

Steven H wrote:Also, I was hoping for some help. Could someone either explain the card game they play in the film or point me in the direction of someone or someting that can? I don't even know what you'd call it to search the web for it. "Japanese card game used in gambling yakuza films"?
Is it Hanafuda? Hanafuda is the card game most associated with the Yakuza, since that's where they get their name from from (ya-ku-za being the lowest possible hand in the game).

mogwai

#157 Post by mogwai » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:07 am

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#158 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:49 am

> I wonder if this was a slight jab at Ozu? He was brought up in the
> interview included on the disc, respectfully, but with an edge.

At least at this point, Shinoda seems to have immense respect and affection for Ozu (based on his talks when he visited at the Harvard Film Archive last year).

Another vote for "Pale Flower" as an outstanding release.

iangj

#159 Post by iangj » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:19 am

Anyone seen the La Cienaga disc? Any problems?

ugobo

#160 Post by ugobo » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:06 pm

I've just watched La Cienaga last night and the audio track is completely inaceptable. There's a phasing effect in and out throughout the film and there is also a pitch effect (on the high frequency range)on all spoken words also throughout the film. I thought it was terrible for such a recent movie issued by HVE. I don't know if the problems are from the source itself or from a very bad audio tranfert...

Gregory

#161 Post by Gregory » Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:17 am

My DVD of La Cienaga has none of those problems. It sounds like the one described above might be a defective copy. The audio is fine, and includes the ambient noise that was intended to be part of the soundtrack. The transfer is excellent: sharp, with good colors and grain. Also, it was a treat to be able to see Martel's short film, Rey Muerto. HVE did a great job with this one; it's a real jewel.

mogwai

#162 Post by mogwai » Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:26 am

Lino

#163 Post by Lino » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:25 pm

About the Hanzo the Razor set - has anyone found any early reviews for the set? I'm dying to read one and see pictures from those three!
Last edited by Lino on Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alain3000

#164 Post by Alain3000 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:15 pm

Anyone know what their June releases will be?

Tribe
The Bastard Spawn of Hank Williams

#165 Post by Tribe » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:11 pm

They are not planning any releases for June. It's on their web site.

Tribe

FilmFanSea

#166 Post by FilmFanSea » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:40 pm

Tribe wrote:
They are not planning any releases for June. It's on their web site.

Tribe
No, I think the statement "Nothing on the release calendar for June 2005" just means they haven't posted the titles yet, not that there won't be any at all. Note that they haven't posted the Criterion titles for June yet, either.

Andre Jurieu

#167 Post by Andre Jurieu » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:24 pm

HVe's June Slate will include...

June 7th
Kazuo Kuroki's Ronin Gai

Per Fly's The Inheritance

Kinji Fukasaku's Under the Flag of the Rising Sun

June 21st
Aage Rais-Nordentoft's Kick ‘n Rush

Pinback

#168 Post by Pinback » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:17 pm

I'm very curious to hear Linda Hoaglund's audio commentary on the Fukasaku film. I thought her essay on subtitling included with Criterion's Throne of Blood was excellent, but I was under the impression she was more of a linguist than a film scholar.

Lino

#169 Post by Lino » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:59 pm

Arn777

#170 Post by Arn777 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:11 pm

Ugh, Under the flag of a rising sun will have an audio commentary by subtitler Linda Hoaglund, must be a first in dvd production.

Arn777

#171 Post by Arn777 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:15 pm

Ugh, Under the flag of a rising sun will have an audio commentary by subtitler Linda Hoaglund, must be a first in dvd production.

Gregory

#172 Post by Gregory » Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:14 pm

Many people such as Roger Ebert who do DVD commentaries aren't film scholars, either. They're reviewers who have little knowledge of film theory (which I take to be a necessary condition for being a film scholar). I'm not saying this is always a bad thing; commentators can offer a variety of insights, not all of which come from film theory. It takes a great deal of cultural understanding to be a good interpreter. Hoaglund spent her childhood in Japan and has studied the culture a great deal. I can't guarantee this will be a good commentary, of course, but I also don't think it should be written off immeditely.

I can't wait for this release. Under the Flag is probably the Fukasaku I've been most eagerly awaiting.

Nihonophile

#173 Post by Nihonophile » Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:23 pm

Gregory wrote:Many people such as Roger Ebert who do DVD commentaries aren't film scholars, either. They're reviewers who have little knowledge of film theory (which I take to be a necessary condition for being a film scholar). I'm not saying this is always a bad thing; commentators can offer a variety of insights, not all of which come from film theory. It takes a great deal of cultural understanding to be a good interpreter. Hoaglund spent her childhood in Japan and has studied the culture a great deal. I can't guarantee this will be a good commentary, of course, but I also don't think it should be written off immeditely.

I can't wait for this release. Under the Flag is probably the Fukasaku I've been most eagerly awaiting.
Agreed, Linda Hoaglund appears on the Yakuza Papers box set as well. She has a knowledge of fukasaku films as well as experience with him firsthand. An english speaker providing commentary on a japanese director that they knew, what else could you want? I'm super mega ultra hyped for this release. GO FUKA!

Keaton

#174 Post by Keaton » Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:55 pm

Gregory wrote:
I can't wait either. I hope the commentary is worthwhile.

Regards,

Dennis :)

JHunter

#175 Post by JHunter » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:05 pm

For those interested, I spotted the "Hanzo, The Razor" boxset out early at my local Best Buy for $39.99. It was in the "Action" section, not with the boxsets. I picked it up, but won't be able to give it a spin for a while.