Home Vision Entertainment

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
FilmFanSea

#201 Post by FilmFanSea » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:10 pm

Excellent detective work, BJ (the reports of HVe's demise have been greatly exaggerated). I think The Last Victory is a 2003 documentary by John Appel (IMDb). DVD Times has reviewed the UK DVD release by Metrodome.

analoguezombie

#202 Post by analoguezombie » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:52 pm

FilmFanSea wrote:Excellent detective work, BJ (the reports of HVe's demise have been greatly exaggerated
Well the release dates for these are listed as February and March 2006. My assumption is that this is just what HVe was working on before the buyout.

HVe's back catalog of Fukusaku and Charbol will nicely compliment Image Entertainment's dedication to such titles as Hall and Oates: Our Kind of Soul, The Bikini Academy, and their selection of Gene Autry movies. #-o

Matt

#203 Post by Matt » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:31 pm

Just got this from DVD Empire:
We have just been informed by the studio that the
release date for 'Point Of Order' has been changed
to TBA.

TBA = To Be Announced (No Release Date Specified Yet)
Hmmm... could this little thing that just appeared on Amazon have anything to do with that?
Point of Order (1964)

Product Details

* Starring: Emile De Antonio
* Encoding: Region 1 (U.S. and Canada only. This DVD will probably NOT be viewable in other countries. Read more about DVD formats.)
* Format: Black & White, Closed-captioned
* Rated: NR
* Studio: New Yorker Video
* DVD Release Date: October 25, 2005
* Run Time: 97
* ASIN: B000A59PO2

Gordon

#204 Post by Gordon » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:13 pm

They should include Emile de Antonio's 55-minute 1975 documentary
McCarthy: Death of a Witch Hunter.

Maybe we'll see more de Antonio's after this, hopefully, the amazing
Rush to Judgment, his documentary on the JFK assassination.
Lee Bowers, an eye-witness, died in a 'car crash' shortly after being
interviewed for the film.

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#205 Post by Buttery Jeb » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:29 am

Here's some info on another upcoming Image-released Home Vision title: a 2-Disc SE of the Oscar-nominated documentary "A Great Day in Harlem."

http://www.image-entertainment.com/deta ... ctID=42936

-BJ

analoguezombie

#206 Post by analoguezombie » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:16 pm

I'd just like to take a minute to say how much I have appreciated HVe. It had grown to become my favorite DVD production house and I'm very sad to see it go. Image Entertainment is a horrible company that releases lacklustre films, or lacklustre releases of decent movies. It's so sad to see HVe gobbled up by such a worthless entity.

I will use DeepDiscountDVD's upcoming 20% sale to purchase all the HVe titles I desire, but do not yet own. I will then never buy an Image release that misleadingly uses the HVe logo.

Thanks to HVe for their dedication and output over the years. =D>

Ashirg

#207 Post by Ashirg » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:26 am

June 27
The Boat Is Full

August 1
Putney Swope

August 8
Salome

August 15
Steppenwolf

September 5
Angry Harvest

September 12
Kim

October 3
À tout de suite

November 21
Goddess of 1967

rwaits

#208 Post by rwaits » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:32 am

Wait...HVE still exists?

Gregory

#209 Post by Gregory » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:37 pm

I didn't expect that to go on more than a year after the sale was finalized. Now I'm even more curious why the series of Emile de Antonio releases got derailed.

Donald Trampoline

#210 Post by Donald Trampoline » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:23 pm

It is a bit confusing though since the Home Vision Web site has ceased to exist. I see the HVE logo on the packaging of one of these new titles, and that's surprising. Surely a differentiated Web site would be of some benefit to the branding if you're going to keep it, not to mention a place to go and check up on just the HVE releases. Seems pretty hard to look just those up on the Image site. Not sure how Ashirg was able to separate them out.

FilmFanSea

#211 Post by FilmFanSea » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:48 pm

Donald Trampoline wrote:It is a bit confusing though since the Home Vision Web site has ceased to exist. I see the HVE logo on the packaging of one of these new titles, and that's surprising. Surely a differentiated Web site would be of some benefit to the branding if you're going to keep it, not to mention a place to go and check up on just the HVE releases. Seems pretty hard to look just those up on the Image site. Not sure how Ashirg was able to separate them out.
On the Image website, choose the "Product Search" tab (from the row of tabs beginning with "New Releases"). Specify a range of future dates (say, 06/01/06 to 06/01/07). Under "more options" click on the "Studio" drop-down menu and select "Home Vision." Click the "Search" button.

htdm

#212 Post by htdm » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:19 pm

I will definitely be double dipping Putney Swope and Goddess of 1967. I don't think that Rhino's release of Putney Swope had an interview but did it have a commentary?

Gordon

#213 Post by Gordon » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:21 pm

Fred Haines' 1974 adaptation of Hesse's Steppenwolf finally on home video? Blimey! I have wanted to see this for a long, long time, as I love the book and I have read that the film employs all manner of expressive techniques.

Glad to see that Angry Harvest is also on the way.

Interesting stuff. A shame that HVE was swallowed up, though.

FilmFanSea

#214 Post by FilmFanSea » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:35 pm

From the Image website:

Norman McLaren: Masters Edition

release date: 17 October 2006
58 Films on 7 Discs
$99.99
Influenced by surrealism and his passion for music and dance, controversial abstract filmmaker Norman McLaren is heralded as a ground-breaking visionary. From his early cinematic experiments in Scotland in 1933 to his final film for the National Film Board of Canada in 1983, McLaren's work is remarkable for its inventiveness, research and humanism. This carefully restored collection of 58 of his films includes the Oscar-winning "Neighbors" (1952) and several unfinished and formerly lost efforts. This seven-DVD set also provides an illuminating booklet insert, filmed interviews with McLaren himself and 14 new short documentaries that guide the viewer to the heart of McLaren's art, each offering a distinct perspective of his work.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#215 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:27 pm

Wow, glad I didn't splurge on the Milestone edition...

What A Disgrace

#216 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:43 pm

FilmFanSea wrote:From the Image website:

Norman McLaren: Masters Edition

release date: 17 October 2006
58 Films on 7 Discs
$99.99
Influenced by surrealism and his passion for music and dance, controversial abstract filmmaker Norman McLaren is heralded as a ground-breaking visionary. From his early cinematic experiments in Scotland in 1933 to his final film for the National Film Board of Canada in 1983, McLaren's work is remarkable for its inventiveness, research and humanism. This carefully restored collection of 58 of his films includes the Oscar-winning "Neighbors" (1952) and several unfinished and formerly lost efforts. This seven-DVD set also provides an illuminating booklet insert, filmed interviews with McLaren himself and 14 new short documentaries that guide the viewer to the heart of McLaren's art, each offering a distinct perspective of his work.
Words fail me.

I, also, am ridiculously happy that I did not buy the Milestone set.

neuro

#217 Post by neuro » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:52 pm

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:Wow, glad I didn't splurge on the Milestone edition...
Of course, I did. Four...days...ago.

I really should be aggravated, but strangely, the opposite is true. I was happy with a mere 14 shorts on the Milestone disc; 58 is a godsend. Needless to say, I don't think the Milestone will be worth holding onto for a documentary.

Also, those who plan on ordering the McLaren set really owe it to themselves (if they haven't already done so) to get Milestone's Grant Munro disc (which features some of his work with McLaren), as well as the Oskar Fischinger disc that was recently released by the Center for Visual Music.

Nihonophile

#218 Post by Nihonophile » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:12 am

Oh
my
fucking
god

I'm glad such grand DVD treatment happened to McLaren. His films are truly original and captivating. I still haven't finished Unseen Cinema and now this! A hearty recommendation :)

pianocrash

#219 Post by pianocrash » Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:48 am

Does anyone know what the huck happened
to hve's release of Lucile Hadzihalilovic's Innocence?
Or should I just buy the canuck version & cry myself to sleep at night?

The 2001 version of Putney Swope was
commentary-less, but the interview was quite nice.

Lino

#220 Post by Lino » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:58 pm

FilmFanSea wrote:Norman McLaren: Masters Edition
Same set already out in France

FilmFanSea

#221 Post by FilmFanSea » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:52 pm

Good find, Annie...I mean Myra.

Tribe
The Bastard Spawn of Hank Williams

#222 Post by Tribe » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:17 pm

Just saw this, Douglas Bucks' Family Portraits: A Trilogy of America...for horror film fans, it's a must. Even if horror films don't do much for you, this trilogy of three shorts (Cutting Moments, Home and Prologue) are simply fascinating samples of grotesque family disfunction, albeit not for the weak of stomach.

I'd never heard of Douglas Buck until I discovered that he's re-doing DePalma's Sisters, so I bought this as a blind buy. It's a nice little package, should be two discs but it's only one disc with a side A and B, which I hate. Very nice transfers as HVE typically released, commentaries galore, original screenplays.

Not sure if this was something that HVE was already working on when Image acquired them, or if Image is releasing things on its own under the HVE imprint. Regardless, a ghastly little collection here.

Tribe

Matango

#223 Post by Matango » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:31 am

I just got Putney Swope, my first HVE purchase since Image took them over, and the picture breaks up just like it does on all the other Image discs I've ever seen. Seems like predictions of HVE quality control going down the pan with Image's takeover have come true.

gustaveii

#224 Post by gustaveii » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:46 am

I spotted this HVE labeled boxset in the Strictly Film School release calendar. It's due next week (10/24) at Amazon for $45. Is anyone familiar with these silents?

"Until now, Jacques Feyder has been unjustly reduced almost to a footnote in film history, but these beautifully-restored editions with stunning tints and new orchestral scores reveal him as one of the finest silent film directors in Europe. Following these accomplishments, Feyder was invited to Hollywood in 1929 to direct two outstanding films with Greta Garbo, The Kiss and the German version of Anna Christie, and to London for Marlene Dietrich in Knight without Armour; he is probably best remembered for Carnival in Flanders (La Kermesse heroique, 1935), which, unfortunately, was cut by about one-third for American release.

Queen of Atlantis (L'Atlantide), based upon Pierre Benoit's best-selling exotic novel of the French foreign legion and the woman no man can resist, was filmed under grueling conditions on location in the Sahara and in a large tent studio outside of Algiers. The desert, with its burning sun and vast expanse of sand, is the real star of this adventure, the most expensive French film until that time. It was hailed as a revelation, and ran for a year in Paris.

Crainquebille is the name of a fruit and vegetable peddler (Maurice de Feraudy) who, accused of having insulted a policeman, becomes trapped in the bureaucratic web of French justice. He is sent to jail; after release, his bourgeois customers shun him, but at the point of suicide he is redeemed by an orphan newsboy (Jean Forest, an amazingly sensitive and expressive child found by Feyder on the streets of Montmartre). Feyder filmed on location around the market area of Les Halles and in some of the oldest areas of Paris. D. W. Griffith allegedly said of Crainquebille, "I have seen a film which, for me, precisely symbolizes Paris."

Faces of Children (Visages d'enfants), a masterpiece, was filmed on location in the Haut-Valais region of Switzerland, with spectacular mountain scenery adding important atmosphere to the characters' complex emotions. The film is about the effect on a sensitive boy (again Jean Forest, who is heartrending) of his mother's death and his father's remarriage."

tryavna

#225 Post by tryavna » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:01 pm

Gustave,

Here is the a thread on the upcoming set.

As Matt might say, "Search" is your friend.

Nevertheless, welcome to the forum!
Last edited by tryavna on Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.