Indicator

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

Re: Indicator

#126 Post by MichaelB » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:43 pm

jazzo wrote:Hoping against hope for a beautiful, uncut version of 1957's The Abominable Snowman.
Not a Columbia title, so no.

jazzo

#127 Post by jazzo » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:46 pm

Well. Shit.

What A Disgrace

#128 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:13 am

I'm hoping that its Warner Bros., and not yet another Fox, MGM, Paramount or Universal deal.

...although if it WERE one of those four, they'd likely be far more productive, rewarding and interesting than what Arrow, BFI, Signal One and MoC are doing with those labels' back catalogue, if their Sony relationship is any indication.

FrauBlucher

#129 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:22 am

Landjorden wrote:Lots of hints on the Facebook page leaning towards hammer.
It certainly seems like Hammer. They tweeted this.

Ribs

#130 Post by Ribs » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:13 am

Hammer isn't a studio they sign licensing agreements for as they aren't a distributor - Columbia will cover it, as they own a small handful of titles, and we know for a fact that a Hammer box is coming in October with another one before the end of the year, both consisting of just titles from the extant Sony deal(s). The hints are just teases for the formal details of the October releases, which will also likely include Tourneur's Night of the Demon.

Apperson

#131 Post by Apperson » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:50 am

Interestingly, it seems all the October releases are Blu-ray only.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#132 Post by tenia » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:19 am

John told me a few months ago they were looking into dropping the DVD from their releases, so I guess this decision has now been taken.
I'm however more interested by the Hammer set having 4 movies and still being priced at £42.99 like the 2 3-movies boxsets. I hope this will be a trend and isn't just a question of licences being cheaper or whatever.
Less nice : all 6 movies are stated as HD remasters or HD restorations, so no new restorations it seems.
And potential clue for individual releases : the Hammer set won't have a single booklet but 4 booklets.

Costa

#133 Post by Costa » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:37 am

Not interested in anything of October.
(i'm not a horror fan anyway).

Can anyone guess what the picture for their November boxset is?
edit: Oh, it's from First Men in the Moon.

http://imgur.com/a/Mtnn8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Costa on Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#134 Post by domino harvey » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:39 am

No one post links to any of the stuff y'all are obliquely referring to, that would just be absurd

Ribs

#135 Post by Ribs » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:48 am

I know it's totally preposterous and utterly unnecessary, but I really do like dual-format and it just makes me feel in some way that makes the Indicator brand a little less special.

I wasn't expecting exclusively horror, but they seem like an interesting lineup of titles.
HAMMER VOLUME ONE: FEAR WARNING!

MANIAC (Michael Carreras, 1963)
THE GORGON (Terence Fisher, 1964)
THE CURSE OF THE MUMMY'S TOMB (Michael Carreras, 1964)
FANATIC (Silvio Narizzano, 1965)
Release date: 16 October 2017
Limited Blu-ray Edition (UK Blu-ray premieres)

Four classics from Hammer, each presented on Blu-ray for the very first time in the UK. Whether it's a mad man brandishing a welding torch, a mythical monster who's looks can kill, an ancient royal with diabolical powers, or a mad woman wielding a pair of scissors, this set has something to unease everybody. Containing a wealth of new and exclusive extra features – including title-specific documentaries, cast and crew interviews, expert appreciations, introductions and more – this stunning Blu-ray-only Limited Edition box set is published in a horribly limited, numbered edition of 4,000 units.

INDICATOR LIMITED BLU-RAY EDITION SPECIAL FEATURES:
• HD restorations of all four films
• Original Mono audio
• All-new documentaries exploring aspects of each film
• The Gorgon audio commentary with Daughters of Darkness’ Samm Deighan and Kat Ellinger
• The Gorgon introduction by actor and filmmaker Matthew Holness
• New interviews with actors Barbara Shelley and Mike McStay
• New interviews with cameramen Michael Reed and Douglas Milsome
• Playwright Matthew Lombardo on Tallulah Bankhead and Fanatic
• Hammer’s Women – an exclusive series of filmed appreciations of Nadia Gray, Barbara Shelley, Jeanne Roland and Tallulah Bankhead
• Original trailers and promotional films
• Promotional and on-set photography, poster art and archive materials
• Four box set exclusive booklets with new essays, contemporary reviews, historic articles, and full film credits
• UK premieres on Blu-ray
• Limited edition box set of 4,000 copies
...AND MORE!

#PHILTD054
FRAGMENT OF FEAR

(Richard C. Sarafian, 1970)
Release date: 24 October 2017
Limited Blu-ray Edition (World Blu-ray premiere)

Based on the novel A Fragment of Fear by former M15 spy John Bingham, 7th Baron Clanmorris, this stylish cine-trip from Vanishing Point director Richard C. Sarafian features David Hemmings and Gayle Hunnicutt (then real-life husband and wife) falling into a waking nightmare of murder, mystery and paranoia.

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION SPECIAL FEATURES:
• High Definition remaster
• Original mono audio
• David Kipen on author John Bingham and screenwriter Paul Dehn (2017, tbc mins)
• Interview with assistant director William P. Cartlidge (2017, tbc mins)
• Original theatrical trailer
• Image gallery: on-set and promotional photography
• New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Johnny Mains, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and historic articles on the film
• World premiere on Blu-ray
• Limited Edition of 3,000 copies
• More TBC

#PHILTD022
TORTURE GARDEN

(Freddie Francis, 1967)
Release date: 24 October 2017
Limited Blu-ray Edition (UK Blu-ray premiere)

From Hammer-rival Amicus Productions comes this horror anthology penned by Robert Bloch (author of Psycho) and directed by the great British cinematographer Freddie Francis. Genre legend Peter Cushing stars alongside Jack Palance and Burgess Meredith in an omnibus of chilling and gruesome stories, inspired by E.C. Comics' Tales from the Crypt comic-book series of the 1950s.

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION SPECIAL FEATURES:
• High Definition remaster
• Original mono audio
• Ramsey Campbell on Robert Bloch (2017, tbc mins)
• Interview with Fiona Subotsky (2017, tbc mins)
• Interview with actor Barbara Ewing (2017, tbc mins) TBC
• Hannah Gordon on husband DoP Norman Warwick (2017, tbc mins) TBC
• Original theatrical trailer
• Image gallery: on-set and promotional photography
• New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Laura Mayne, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and historic articles on the film
• UK premiere on Blu-ray
• Limited Edition of 3,000 copies
• More TBC

#PHILTD023

Dr Amicus

#136 Post by Dr Amicus » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:07 pm

The Hammer set is an odd mix of two Gothics and two Mini-Hitchcocks - but that's an unavoidable by-product of the various distributors Hammer dealt with. I haven't seen Fanatic, one of the only Hammer Horrors I have yet to see, but the others are a minor but rather fun group. The Gorgon especially, which I think must be the last Hammer film directed by Fisher with both Cushing and Lee in it, is stylish fun - albeit with a rather over-ambitious monster. I know it has a couple of really passionate supporters, I don't have copies to hand but I seem to remember both Peter Hutchings (in Hammer and Beyond) and Robert Murphy (in Sixties British Cinema) like it a lot.

Torture Garden isn't my favourite Amicus anthology (that's From Beyond The Grave) and the framing device (despite glorious turns from Burgess Meredith and Michael Ripper) isn't as interesting as others - but the stories are fun (even the piano episode), and 'The Man Who Collected Poe' is one of the highlights of the series. However, the Ramsey Campbell piece makes this an easy early purchase - Campbell is the only Horror writer I read on a regular basis, and his critical pieces are always entertaining and intelligent (he did some good pieces for Shock XPress).

rapta

#137 Post by rapta » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:28 pm

Never been a massive Hammer fan, so not hugely interested in a box set of those, but Freddie Francis is obviously a big name so Torture Garden is a firm 'maybe' (to pick up at a later date). Fragment of Fear actually sounds the most interesting one of all of these, to be honest, but still not something I'd immediately pre-order.

Hopefully next month includes one or two titles other than the last Harryhausen set. I'd appreciate Night of the Demon/Curse of the Demon most of all, but I'm also anticipating Birdy, Eyes of Laura Mars, and any Boetticher they have planned! :)

What A Disgrace

#138 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:00 pm

Now that boxed sets are a regular occurence, Budd Boetticher box or bust.

rapta

#139 Post by rapta » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:25 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:Now that boxed sets are a regular occurence, Budd Boetticher box or bust.
Oh hell yes. I might be wrong of course, but I believe there is talk of at least one... :D

Finch

#140 Post by Finch » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:36 pm

A Fuller double bill with Crimson Kimono and House of Bamboo would be very welcome too. Boetticher set with all his Columbia Pictures westerns would certainly render Sony's actually quite nice DVD boxset obsolete.

rapta

#141 Post by rapta » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:26 pm

Unfortunately, the rights for House of Bamboo were taken by DVD label Simply Media just 3 years ago...so presumably any label who'd want to release it on Blu-ray would have to wait for their license to expire. Besides, I believe it's with Fox anyway so more likely to come from MoC, Arrow Academy or Signal One (eventually).

More likely to come from Indicator is Underworld USA, which I'd be very happy about if they did get it.

I've been told Indicator have Boettichers - plural - so a box set would seem logical.

Ashirg

#142 Post by Ashirg » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:14 pm

House of Bamboo also can't happen because it's Fox, not Columbia.

MichaelB

#143 Post by MichaelB » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:30 am

Indicator isn't going to be a Columbia-only label for ever, but it makes sense for now as there's so much of their back catalogue to mine.

Ribs

#144 Post by Ribs » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:21 pm

Beaver now chimes in again on Joe Egg & The Reckoning

And, while I'm posting, Indicator put up a release at Cineoutsider explaining why they're shifting from Dual Format.

Banasa

#145 Post by Banasa » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:19 pm

Although already discussed here, Indicator are certainly releasing Jacques Tourneur's Night of the Demon, they specifically noted earlier this month that they "are planning a release of Night of the Demon, later this year, or possibly early next year. It will be something a bit special."

Begin speculation! I'm guessing it comes with runes so you have to pass the disc on to other people after watching it.

M Sanderson

#146 Post by M Sanderson » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:36 am

I was certain I'd read about The Reckoning in Sight & Sound's feature for films unreleased on home digital video, but am struggling to find the issue.

Already have it pre ordered and am very excited to get it with Deadly Affair. Likely to follow suit with Joe Egg and National Health.

Regarding Boetticher, the idea of a box set is hugely exciting. So what do we know about the materials. Which if the films have been subjected to high level restoration work? Which ones have problematic source materials?

cpetrizzi

#147 Post by cpetrizzi » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:59 pm

Here's the first of two orders I made with Powerhouse Films on August 20. John, from Powerhouse, sent a confirmation email right after I ordered. His communication has been excellent and frankly, way above and beyond expectation.

The package delivered via FedEx and took only 4 days to arrive to the States!

I watched the first Sinbad film on my computer with my 10 y.o. daughter when our power went out for 4 hours a few days ago. And I just finished Christine with my 20 y.o. son tonight. Fantastic transfers so far!

What A Disgrace

#148 Post by What A Disgrace » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:28 pm

My own Indicator collection is only slightly larger than that - roughly 1/6 the size of my Masters of Cinema Blu-ray collection - but I have a feeling its going to outgrow the MoC collection if they can keep this up for a few years.

Ovader

#149 Post by Ovader » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:11 am

I can't post the photo from the e-mail newsletter but does anyone know what may be the December boxset from that photo hint?

eerik

#150 Post by eerik » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:30 am

Hint for December box-set for those who did not get the newsletter: