Artificial Eye / Curzon: Andrei Tarkovsky Collection

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
kekid

Re: Artificial Eye / Curzon: Andrei Tarkovsky Collection

#226 Post by kekid » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:47 pm

AE web-site says that the deluxe Tarkovsly blu-ray set will come out in April. Is it up for pre-order anywhere?

rapta

#227 Post by rapta » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:48 pm

dda1996a wrote:So in reading Sculpting in Time and rewatching (probably the most visceral theater experience I ever had) The Sacrifice on the big screen, I really want to have all his films on Blu Ray. So I wasn't entirely sure, what AE Tarkovsky blus are worth buying? I'm guessing I should wait for Criterion's Stalker, but other than that how good are the rest?
From what I understand, Solaris and Ivan's Childhood are quite close to their Criterion equivalents in terms of transfer, and the former is available from both AE and Criterion in the UK so you can take your pick from the extras (or get both). The others apparently feature quite similar transfers to what have been released elsewhere - so like Michael says, avoid Nostalgia and Stalker for the time being (assuming Criterion will release the latter in the UK as well), Andrei Rublev and Mirror are fine (slightly boosted contrast, some possible filtering), and The Sacrifice is a noticeable improvement on previous releases (in the Anglosphere at least).
kekid wrote:AE web-site says that the deluxe Tarkovsly blu-ray set will come out in April. Is it up for pre-order anywhere?
Nope, not that I've seen so far. Weird, as I thought it was announced a couple of months ago. Maybe it has been delayed?

dda1996a

#228 Post by dda1996a » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:54 pm

I find it weird the box set is not available to pre-order anywhere... I'm hesitating whether to wait for the box (as most AE boxsets get a lot cheaper after a while) or to pick the few good releases. Does the box set include all the individual releases' extras?

kekid

#229 Post by kekid » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:47 pm

Curzon Artificial Eye website now shows the release date for the Tarkovsky Deluxe Box as non-specific "Coming Soon".
Given that the materials for all included films have already been produced for individual releases, I wonder what the cause of the delay is.

kekid

#230 Post by kekid » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:19 pm

For about a week now, Curzon/Artificial Eye have posted the revised release date of the Tarkovsky Deluxe Box as 15 May 2017. That is about 3 weeks from now. I do not see any announcement on Amazon. Does anyone know more about this?

dda1996a

#231 Post by dda1996a » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:24 pm

I'm fairly sure there is something going on behind the scenes, with Criterion's Stalker coming in July

chatterjees

#232 Post by chatterjees » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:11 pm

Use this link to place your order
http://www.tarkovskycollection.com/

We, who are in USA, can't buy this box for now. I got this reply back from them
Unfortunately we are unable to make this box set available to territories outside the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland when ordered via TarkovskyCollection.com. However, depending on availability, the box set will be available via Amazon UK from 10 May. Hope that helps!

TheRanchHand

#233 Post by TheRanchHand » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:12 am

Well that sucks. I was actually preparing to order from the site this week. I saw only 1000 were manufactured so was going to just grab a set. Hopefully Amazon UK will have available soon, otherwise I'll have to mail to my friend in London.

kekid

#234 Post by kekid » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:31 pm

(1) Do we believe all the feature films included in this set will be the same as individually released last year? Specifically, will it be the same version/encode of Stalker, which was judged unsatisfactory by most reviewers?
(2) My original thought was to buy a discounted box as opposed to buying select films, if the costs were comparable. But the box is quite expensive, raising the question as to whether it is better to buy only four or five films individually as opposed to going for the box.
(3) Why is there such a fuss about not shipping outside UK and Ireland? This is a bad trend for consumers.
(4) No single company in region A owns the rights to all Tarkovsky films, so a box of Blu Rays is unlikely in region A. So there is no competition for a boxed version, making restriction to certain territories even less comprehensible.

MichaelB

#235 Post by MichaelB » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:20 pm

Nobody outside Artificial Eye is going to be able to answer these questions. But I'd lay money on Stalker being the same disc, as it's now clear beyond any doubt that they don't have the rights to the new Mosfilm restoration.

To be honest, I don't know why you're so obsessed about a box set (how many times have you posted about it now?) - if presentation quality is a priority, as you suggest, you'd clearly be better off mixing and matching Criterion and AE releases.

A Tempted Christ

#236 Post by A Tempted Christ » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:11 am

I was checking Mirror on Caps-a-Holic and in every single edition (AE included) the monochrome scenes are b&w except for the French blu-ray by Potemkine Films which is tinted brown. Any source on which one is correct?