Artificial Eye / Curzon: Andrei Tarkovsky Collection

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
kekid

Artificial Eye / Curzon: Andrei Tarkovsky Collection

#1 Post by kekid » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:17 pm

Should we assume that the rumored Tarkovsky Blu Ray box is not going to come out this year?

FrauBlucher

Re: Artificial Eye / Curzon Film World

#2 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:29 pm

Why?....AE did say the last quarter of 2015.

rapta

#3 Post by rapta » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:12 am

Yeah I reckon not 'til next year now, though I'd be pleasantly surprised if they did announce it for the end of the year.

Why you say? Because never trust AE to completely stick to their word. They've still yet to release Malle's Lift to the Scaffold (aka Elevator to the Gallows) nor Bresson's Au Hasard Balthazar, though we may get an update on both of those soon...Gaumont seem to have the former lined up, and I believe there were some restoration issues with the latter. I believe Criterion are waiting on both too. They've also said they would release the rest of the Haneke titles on Blu-ray at some point, but we've only had a bare-bones Funny Games US (which was released twice before on Blu-ray). Criterion just announced Code Unknown, so maybe we'll see these soon.

Despite these comments however, I did just notice new DVD listings for Tarkovsky's films Andrei Rublev, Nostalia and The Sacrifice on Amazon...without release dates though. And also a listing for Michael Haneke: The Definitive Collection, but I can't remember if that's actually an old listing or not. All are DVD listings, so we'll have to wait and see whether there are BD counterparts arriving too. Maybe they'll release the Tarkovsky titles one-by-one, with a later box set (like they did with Truffaut), though they got a lot of stick for that strategy - many people bought Truffaut titles separately and could have saved a lot of time and money by buying the box sets (they announced them later on, after many of the single releases had already been released).

RossyG

#4 Post by RossyG » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:30 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:Why?....AE did say the last quarter of 2015.
Amazon UK seem to have all the Artificial Eye releases until the end of the year listed. I suppose the Tarkovsky box set could one day appeared amidst them, but it's more likely to be carried over till next year.

Happy to be proven wrong, of course.

thirtyframesasecond

#5 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:35 am

Will Artificial Eye re-release all the Tarkovsky films? Sacrifice and Nostalghia have had the re-release treatment, and they obviously released an entire collection (going for astronomical sums on Amazon), but the likes of Mirror, Solaris and Stalker are due a re-release.

MichaelB

#6 Post by MichaelB » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:06 pm

They've already confirmed that they will.

kazaam

#7 Post by kazaam » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:40 pm

It's probably gonna happen soon. The new screenings at the BFI in October - November from the Mirroring Tarkovsky season are apparently from "pristine new digital prints." All of Tarkovsky’s features plus a number of his short films, will be included in the season.

rapta

#8 Post by rapta » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:55 pm

kazaam wrote:It's probably gonna happen soon. The new screenings at the BFI in October - November from the Mirroring Tarkovsky season are apparently from "pristine new digital prints." All of Tarkovsky’s features plus a number of his short films, will be included in the season.
Yes! Just looked this up and there is indeed mention of "pristine new digital prints" like you say. This must mean the Blu-ray set will be out sometime next year, possible followed-by or preceded by separate releases of each film. This is excellent news! I'm glad they're finally ready (assuming the comment about them being new prints is true) :D

kazaam

#9 Post by kazaam » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:28 pm

rapta wrote: Yes! Just looked this up and there is indeed mention of "pristine new digital prints" like you say. This must mean the Blu-ray set will be out sometime next year, possible followed-by or preceded by separate releases of each film. This is excellent news! I'm glad they're finally ready (assuming the comment about them being new prints is true) :D
Yup. Also if you go to the BFI's page of The Mirror for this season ( https://whatson.bfi.org.uk/Online/defau ... ontext_id=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) there's actually a mention of it being a "A Curzon Film World/Artificial Eye release".

rapta

#10 Post by rapta » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:38 pm

kazaam wrote:
rapta wrote: Yes! Just looked this up and there is indeed mention of "pristine new digital prints" like you say. This must mean the Blu-ray set will be out sometime next year, possible followed-by or preceded by separate releases of each film. This is excellent news! I'm glad they're finally ready (assuming the comment about them being new prints is true) :D
Yup. Also if you go to the BFI's page of The Mirror for this season ( https://whatson.bfi.org.uk/Online/defau ... ontext_id=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) there's actually a mention of it being a "A Curzon Film World/Artificial Eye release".
Brilliant, very promising. Seeing as this BFI season is at the end of this year, we might even get them on Blu-ray early 2016 rather than late 2016. Can't wait!

rapta

#11 Post by rapta » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:04 pm

From Curzon Artificial Eye's new website:
MIRRORING TARKOVSKY SEASON AT BFI SOUTHBANK
19 OCTOBER TO 29 NOVEMBER 2015

BFI’s highly anticipated Mirroring Tarkovsky: The Russian Master and His Director Disciples season is dedicated to both the Russian auteur Andrei Tarkovsky and those filmmakers whom he undoubtedly influenced - such as Lars von Trier and Claire Denis.

Screening from pristine new digital prints, the season includes all seven of Andrei Tarkovsky’s features plus a number of his short films. There will also be an extended run of his masterful Mirror from Friday 23 October.

Click here for more details and to book tickets!

Tarkovsky's feature films will also be screening from the new digital prints at selected cinemas in spring 2016. Last but not least, watch this space for news about our upcoming DVD and Blu-ray releases!

Read more at http://www.curzonartificialeye.com/arti ... oo5OFfv.99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.curzonartificialeye.com/arti ... southbank/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WATP

#12 Post by WATP » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:16 pm

rapta wrote:
kazaam wrote:It's probably gonna happen soon. The new screenings at the BFI in October - November from the Mirroring Tarkovsky season are apparently from "pristine new digital prints." All of Tarkovsky’s features plus a number of his short films, will be included in the season.
Yes! Just looked this up and there is indeed mention of "pristine new digital prints" like you say. This must mean the Blu-ray set will be out sometime next year, possible followed-by or preceded by separate releases of each film. This is excellent news! I'm glad they're finally ready (assuming the comment about them being new prints is true) :D
Hoping for a new release of Andrei Rublev. It's expensive on DVD. Any news on that one?

rapta

#13 Post by rapta » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:33 am

WATP wrote:
rapta wrote:
Hoping for a new release of Andrei Rublev. It's expensive on DVD. Any news on that one?
Artificial Eye are releasing the following on both Blu-ray and DVD later in the year:

Ivan's Childhood
Andrei Rublev
Solaris
The Mirror
Stalker
Nostalgia
The Sacrifice

No news on a complete box set yet, nor any extras. I'm sure they'll do a set, but not certain they'll include any of his student films but of course I'd be very pleased if they did!

kekid

#14 Post by kekid » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:59 pm

rapta wrote:
Artificial Eye are releasing the following on both Blu-ray and DVD later in the year:

Ivan's Childhood
Andrei Rublev
Solaris
The Mirror
Stalker
Nostalgia
The Sacrifice

No news on a complete box set yet, nor any extras. I'm sure they'll do a set, but not certain they'll include any of his student films but of course I'd be very pleased if they did!
This is Truffaut redux.
Someone who has contact with AE should tell them that the practice of releasing individual films first, then the complete box, is terrible. At the minimum they should declare the intended release date of the box at the outset. If they do not intend to release the complete box, they should communicate that as well.

Manny Karp

#15 Post by Manny Karp » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:44 am

WATP wrote:Hoping for a new release of Andrei Rublev. It's expensive on DVD. Any news on that one?
There's a region-free Russian Blu pretty cheap and easy to find. It looks great and perhaps most interestingly is a different cut than the longer Criterion disc.

Manny Karp

#16 Post by Manny Karp » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:48 am

rapta wrote:
I wonder if the recent Japanese discs are sourced from these new prints/restorations? The Stalker Blu was savaged at Caps-a-holic.

feihong

#17 Post by feihong » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:21 am

I have the Stalker blu-ray from Japan, and it's not very good. It's better than dvd editions, but it is not from any sort of new, restored source. The picture quality is often quite soft and there is very little depth of field. The sepia-toned long shots have quite muddy, flat black levels, and are very indistinct. Closeups on the disc fare much better, but this disc does not look really good in motion. Hopefully what Artificial Eye releases will be a major improvement.

I also have the Russian blu-ray of Andrei Rublev. It looks fine for a blu-ray from the old days of blu-ray. The cut is the shorter one Tarkovsky allegedly preferred, but having seen the longer Criterion cut first, I miss the things that have been cut from the print on the blu ray. I loved the way the initial scene of the balloon launching was drawn out further on the longer cut. The more abbreviated cut takes away some of the enigma of the scene, to my mind. Again, I hope Artificial Eye can release the longer cut of the film on blu ray.

criterionsnob

#18 Post by criterionsnob » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:27 pm

From blu-ray.com
Independent British distributors Curzon Artificial Eye have informed us that they are planning to add a number of new titles to their Blu-ray catalog. Amongst them are classic films from Russian master Andrei Tarkovsky, acclaimed French director Jacques Audiard, and Hungarian director László Nemes.

March 14
THE BEAT THAT MY HEART SKIPPED - Blu-ray

April 11
CHRONIC - DVD
IVAN'S CHILDHOOD - Blu-ray & DVD

April 12
ANDREI RUBLEV - Blu-ray & DVD

May 9
MIRROR - Blu-ray & DVD

May 23
SOLARIS - Blu-ray & DVD
VICTORIA - Blu-ray & DVD

June 13
STALKER - Blu-ray & DVD
OUR LITTLE SISTER - DVD

June 27
SON OF SAUL - Blu-ray & DVD
NOSTALGIA - Blu-ray & DVD

June
THE SACRIFICE - Blu-ray & DVD

Note: A Tarkovsky box se will be available later in the year.

FrauBlucher

#19 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:28 pm

Can we expect supplements on the stand alone discs or will they save it for the box set?

Emilio

#20 Post by Emilio » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:31 pm

criterionsnob wrote:From blu-ray.com
Independent British distributors Curzon Artificial Eye have informed us that they are planning to add a number of new titles to their Blu-ray catalog. Amongst them are classic films from Russian master Andrei Tarkovsky, acclaimed French director Jacques Audiard, and Hungarian director László Nemes.

March 14
THE BEAT THAT MY HEART SKIPPED - Blu-ray

April 11
CHRONIC - DVD
IVAN'S CHILDHOOD - Blu-ray & DVD

April 12
ANDREI RUBLEV - Blu-ray & DVD

May 9
MIRROR - Blu-ray & DVD

May 23
SOLARIS - Blu-ray & DVD
VICTORIA - Blu-ray & DVD

June 13
STALKER - Blu-ray & DVD
OUR LITTLE SISTER - DVD

June 27
SON OF SAUL - Blu-ray & DVD
NOSTALGIA - Blu-ray & DVD

June
THE SACRIFICE - Blu-ray & DVD

Note: A Tarkovsky box se will be available later in the year.
Impressive line up (the Tarkovsky's, primarily). Hope the transfers ánd encodes will be great. Wondering about the box set as well as comparisons with the current Blu's, like Criterion's Solaris and Ivan...

Zot!

#21 Post by Zot! » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:55 pm

AE has stopped being fashionable, but they put out so much amazing stuff, and the majority in very respectable editions. I'm buying most of this slate!

FrauBlucher

#22 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:51 am

nolanoe

#23 Post by nolanoe » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:16 am

Bit weird to release the standalones first and tease a Box for later this year... :-k

I will wait. Looking forward to the Mirror and Stalker BDs.

rapta

#24 Post by rapta » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:23 am

nolanoe wrote:Bit weird to release the standalones first and tease a Box for later this year... :-k

I will wait. Looking forward to the Mirror and Stalker BDs.
I think it's so they can QC two titles a month and then compile them as a box set. Spreading them out a bit is wise...although you're right, it is annoying from our point of view. As far as sales go, I don't know which is better in the long run.

They've done the same for Satyajit Ray, Francois Truffaut and Charlie Chaplin. It was especially annoying in the past, as they didn't actually announce a box set until later on...so I had already bought one or two Ray and Truffaut titles on release only to find there was a box set I could've waited for!

Thankfully the Chaplin set only took just over a month to get released (after the last standalone title), so I assume this will be the same. That would mean roughly an August release date for a Tarkovsky set, I reckon - not too much of a wait if that does turn out to be the case!

jedgeco

#25 Post by jedgeco » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:08 pm

Has there been any word on the source of the transfers on the Tarkovskys? (Especially Stalker and Mirror, which have never had a decent release anywhere.)