Kino

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
denti alligator

#101 Post by denti alligator » Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:59 pm

I love Kino's collection more than the CC's, by the way-- but I'm a lunatic for silents.
So am I, but Kino just keeps disappointing. Forget the cropping and bad PAL-to-NTSC and non-progressive, their number one offense is not providing original intertitles. That's butchering the film! I guess Shepard is to blame for a lot of the films that have this fault. But really, it's just pathetic. I don't seem to ave many supporters in this opinion, as was shown by a thread I started on the old board about this topic.

So Herr Schreck, what are some of the finest Kino releases of silents, in your opinion? I'm not sure I could name one that has fully impressed me.

By the way, I did watch Applause (not a silent, but from that era and a Kino release) on your recommendation and it was fantastic. Thanks!

tryavna

#102 Post by tryavna » Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:42 pm

denti alligator wrote:So Herr Schreck, what are some of the finest Kino releases of silents, in your opinion? I'm not sure I could name one that has fully impressed me.
I'm not HerrSchreck, but have you taken a look at the three titles that make up Kino's "Erich von Stroheim Collection"? IMO, they're all pretty impressive for when they were released (2002, I believe), especially Queen Kelly. Those three titles are about the only instance where I can't imagine any other company doing a better job -- except for perhaps making all three available in a box set, with some of the extras on a fourth disc. (But then again, I can't imagine Kino making much money on any of these titles anyway, so I can't imagine a box set being economically viable for them.)

unclehulot

#103 Post by unclehulot » Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:57 pm

denti alligator wrote:
their number one offense is not providing original intertitles. That's butchering the film! I guess Shepard is to blame for a lot of the films that have this fault.
Oh, come now, that's overstating things a bit! I can't imagine a single film-maker in the silent era considering the translation of title cards (obviously, a correct translation) into another language a butchering of the film! Considering that universality of film was lost at the end of the silent era, I simply don't understand this complaint. Of course, you're entitled to your opinion, but I prefer the option of one language OR the other (a la the UK "Pandora's Box"), because I'm certainly not going to read BOTH languages in one pass, and I don't like to read the English titles in subtitle format.

In any case, it's absurd to blame Shepard (who seems to have reached new levels of whipping boy status in this thread) for what has been standard practice for decades and decades!

denti alligator

#104 Post by denti alligator » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:02 pm

You're right about the Stroheim discs. Those are fine releases. I had forgotten abou them, especially Queen Kelly, my favorite of his films.

I have to respectfully disagree about the intertitles. I want to have access to the original text--a translation will always distort this. In some cases the font is also important for the look of the film. Kino has tried to duplicate fonts in English, but this is simply a waste of energy. Just give us the original and subtitle the damn thing. Even with films in languages I can't read (Russian, for example), I want to see the original text, and if one day I learn that language well enough, I may be able to read what the filmmaker had intended. Translated intertitles are just about as bad as dubbing.

As a scholar of German, for example, I would not be able even to cite the written text of, say, Nosferatu. The Kino (and all other) versions of this film do not give me access to that text in any form. I could not make any respectable scholarly claims about the film based on some English translation. This is a distortion of the original film, plain and simple.

htdm

#105 Post by htdm » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:43 pm

denti alligator wrote:...their number one offense is not providing original intertitles...I don't seem to ave many supporters in this opinion, as was shown by a thread I started on the old board about this topic.
I think there are more people who feel this way than you know. To my mind, the restoration (sometimes reconstruction) of intertitles in the original language is one of the most important contributions of the Masters of Cinema series. That this practice hadn't even been considered until fairly recently amazes me.

ben d banana

#106 Post by ben d banana » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:53 pm

As bad, if not worse, than the intertitles is the blocks of English text substituted for the original language in newsprint, letters, etc. Indeed another reason to applaud MoC's contribution to the world of DVD.

htdm

#107 Post by htdm » Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:16 pm

ben d banana wrote:As bad, if not worse, than the intertitles is the blocks of English text substituted for the original language in newsprint, letters, etc. Indeed another reason to applaud MoC's contribution to the world of DVD.
I definitely agree and think that we are starting to see a gradual division in attitudes toward distribution in general. There are probably several factors responsible for this but the success of DVD format is one of the most obvious. Now that significant supplementary audio/visual content is not only viable (in ways that the VHS or laserdisc formats were not) but increasingly expected, general attitudes toward the preservation of original film elements also seem to have experienced a qualitative change. MoC is one example of a new sense of respect for original non-English versions of both famous and marginal titles that give me hope that things may be moving in a new direction.

Rather than approximate English versions of the Expressionist-influenced German intertitles in Caligari to give English speaking audiences a "flavor" of the original, restore (or reconstruct) the original titles and add non-intrusive subs (like MoC). This is what is implictly meant by the term "restored."

I realize that the example I used was of an Image released disc, but this sort of thinking is also representative of Kino and one of the reasons why I find them growing increasingly out of touch with the market and their core consumer base.
Last edited by htdm on Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

FilmFanSea

#108 Post by FilmFanSea » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:00 pm

Someone should either cut & paste or summarize the Kino criticisms in this thread and send it to their customer service. I doubt they read this forum, but it would be wonderful if they could answer the criticisms and give us some perspective on their technical and artistic decisions.

I also love the Stroheim discs--especially Foolish Wives (my own favorite) and Queen Kelly.

HerrSchreck

#109 Post by HerrSchreck » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:43 am

denti alligator wrote:So am I, but Kino just keeps disappointing. Forget the cropping and bad PAL-to-NTSC and non-progressive, their number one offense is not providing original intertitles. That's butchering the film! I guess Shepard is to blame for a lot of the films that have this fault. But really, it's just pathetic. I don't seem to ave many supporters in this opinion, as was shown by a thread I started on the old board about this topic.

So Herr Schreck, what are some of the finest Kino releases of silents, in your opinion? I'm not sure I could name one that has fully impressed me.

By the way, I did watch Applause (not a silent, but from that era and a Kino release) on your recommendation and it was fantastic. Thanks!
Well, they've done some beautiful work this year with EDISON-- and their AVANT GARDE box is a sacred event for me for two reasons, both progressively transferred from nice prints: more Jean Epstein besides CHUTE DE LA MAISON USHER, one of my favorite films, and actually having

Dimitri Kirsanoff, including MENILMONTANT, constitutes the actual materialzation of a morning prayer for me...

Their (relatively) new transfers (vs old laserdiscs/VHS) of ROBIN HOOD, THIEF OF BAGHDAD are very nice. INTOLERANCE is by far the best on the market (but NOT their BIRTH OF A NATION)... BROKEN BLOSSOMS is quite beautiful. Of course the two-strip restoration from the actual primitive color negs of BLACK PIRATE was an event. WAXWORKS was a wonderful surprise. Since their MAN WHO LAUGHS was a composite of two prints combining an Italian print for action, and a slightly deteriorated english print for (original) intertitles, which was restored and constructed in cooperation w Universal who cleaned up the original audio specifically for them, the non progressive transfer puzzles me. This was NOT a shortcut from someone else's masters! But an otherwise beautiful release there-- that blew me away when it appeared.

Isn't APPLAUSE just absolutely amazing, Dr. Alligator? Did the return of Tony at the end feel like a last minute pick-me-up tack-on by the studio execs for a stunningly bleak ending?
dmkb wrote:
denti alligator wrote:...their number one offense is not providing original intertitles...I don't seem to ave many supporters in this opinion, as was shown by a thread I started on the old board about this topic.
I think there are more people who feel this way than you know. To my mind, the restoration (sometimes reconstruction) of intertitles in the original language is one of the most important contributions of the Masters of Cinema series. That this practice hadn't even been considered until fairly recently amazes me.
Now you guys are pulling me back to an old irritation I had almost gotten over, by telling myself that even back then, foreign markets were provided simple flash intertitles, etc, from which to insert their own title cards. What Kino does now, the American studios did back then to many imports, and vice versa-- perfect example are the gorgeous hand-painted Italian intertitles made in that country for MAN WHO LAUGHS, and edited in for their own impoprt print. Everyone wound up with their own bastardized unique versions of each film.

But I always felt that each print is a snapshot in time. These are no longer contemporary releases. Title cards were an art. Nuances in translation can be studied. And nothing is more disconcerting than watching, for example, Flicker Alleys JUDEX or Shepards MABUSE DER SPIELER... you feel yourself getting good and submerged in a lost era, digging the old film stock, choosing to, as I often do when pristine prints are not available (they rarely are for silents) see the scuffs, speckling, dust, contrast flickering, etc, as the fermentation on a fine wine, contributing to the overall fine aged flavor........ then some fucking cornball Microsoft Windows font on a blindingly clear & crisply pixelated marblized background jolts you out of your time machine. Whatever print has survived is an archeological artifact that should not be doofed with. We do not redub old foreign talkies-- we prefer subtitles to preserve the integrity of the original. In this case, our 'original's are sort of arbitrary since they may not be from the country of the original release where the filmmaker worked... but it is still therefore an artifact from it's country of origin, giving the viewers an insight into how other markets handled translations & intertitles... and it preserves the age-thru-line of the viewing experience. It's not even like they do nice intertitles, or try to make them look nice. One of Sheperd's better jobs was Indian Tomb, and Les Vampires, where he dropped into the original cards only new translated text.

I may be in a minority here but I also feel sound & image on talkies can be occasionally over-restored. I love the atmosphere granted on old films by a moderate amount of hiss & pops & crackles... again, to me, old films are like a fine wine and I like tasting the proof of their age. It adds to the experience a certain moodiness, a lost nostalgia, even a pleasant gloominess by reminding you that-- No, today is not yesterday... yesterday is gone forever, particularly in film. There's a melancholy sweet sadness, very delicious to me, in the light veneer of age, particularly on the audio track.

Since we're discussing Kino, I'll mention a DVD of their's I watch endlessly: NARCOTIC/MANIAC, the Dwain Esper "collection". Listen to the soundtrack to Narcotic-- you don't get better "old audio" adding to the mood than that.

And as to many out there who will label me a kook for loving those films, say what you want. I love em. I also have MARIHUANA WEED W ROOTS IN HELL as well as HOW TO UNDRESS IN FRONT OF YOUR HUSBAND. Esper was one unusual boy, and his wife's scripts were some of the strangest in the biz.
tryavna wrote:
denti alligator wrote:So Herr Schreck, what are some of the finest Kino releases of silents, in your opinion? I'm not sure I could name one that has fully impressed me.
I'm not HerrSchreck, but have you taken a look at the three titles that make up Kino's "Erich von Stroheim Collection"? IMO, they're all pretty impressive for when they were released (2002, I believe), especially Queen Kelly. Those three titles are about the only instance where I can't imagine any other company doing a better job -- except for perhaps making all three available in a box set, with some of the extras on a fourth disc. (But then again, I can't imagine Kino making much money on any of these titles anyway, so I can't imagine a box set being economically viable for them.)
Oh and by the way, I love the Von releases, though I would say one thing: due to the poor quality of the MoMa/AFI elements, I thought that BLIND HUSBANDS & FOOLISH WIVES (Christ that movie never gets the credit it deserves, nor does GREED, at least not anymore) could have benefited from being encoded at a higher bitrate than the 4.0-5.0mb/s rate, to give the image a bit more of a photpgraphic look and depth. Having THE GREAT GABBO & THE MAN YOU LOVED TO HATE, was a decent trade off though.

Fucking GABBO... what a hilariously odd film.

denti alligator

#110 Post by denti alligator » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:14 pm

and their AVANT GARDE box is a sacred event for me for two reasons, both progressively transferred from nice prints: more Jean Epstein besides CHUTE DE LA MAISON USHER, one of my favorite films, and actually having

Dimitri Kirsanoff, including MENILMONTANT, constitutes the actual materialzation of a morning prayer for me...

Their (relatively) new transfers (vs old laserdiscs/VHS) of ROBIN HOOD, THIEF OF BAGHDAD are very nice. INTOLERANCE is by far the best on the market (but NOT their BIRTH OF A NATION)... BROKEN BLOSSOMS is quite beautiful. Of course the two-strip restoration from the actual primitive color negs of BLACK PIRATE was an event.
Yes! I nearly forgot about the release of the year! That Avant-Garde set is amazing. Ok, so we can't be too hard on Kino.

The Robin Hood disc was a marvel, as are these others you mention. But the ratio of great to middling or poor releases is WAY off balance.

So when are we going to see von Stroheim's Wedding March and Merry Widow? I guess these wouldn't be the property of Kino, but...

Yeah the ending to Applaus was somewhat contrived, but I loved it all the same.

tryavna

#111 Post by tryavna » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:04 pm

denti alligator wrote:So when are we going to see von Stroheim's Wedding March and Merry Widow? I guess these wouldn't be the property of Kino, but...
Merry Widow was released by MGM in 1925, so Warner owns that one. I guess we should expect it whenever they get around to releasing Greed. *crosses fingers*

Wedding March was released by Paramount on VHS, so I assume they hold the DVD rights, too -- along with other choice silents like Docks of New York and The Last Command. Since those movies don't naturally pair up with a talkie (like the silent version of The Ten Commandments does with the talkie), who knows when we'll see them? I'm looking forward to the silent Ten Commandments, but I would have preferred any of the other three I've just mentioned.

HerrSchreck

#112 Post by HerrSchreck » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:29 pm

denti alligator wrote:Yeah the ending to Applause was somewhat contrived, but I loved it all the same.
No I didn't mean that the ending was bad... just that the ending is so hardcore it almost HAD to be lightly diluted in the minds of execs (but you can't dilute that incredibly pure ending... it's amazing, based on the title & box, how much different that flick is versus what you think it's going to be-- i e you think it's going to be a lite love story with a few show tunes... wow was that a shock, a great one).

Other decent Kino DVDs are DEMENTIA (do NOT miss that film, anyone), THEY MADE ME A FUGITIVE (one of the most incredible noirs you'll ever see, in ALL departments... Trevor Howard at his very best)... plus of course THE LITTLE FUGITIVE... ah, the LITTLE FUGITIVE. The core of the New Wave.

lubitsch

#113 Post by lubitsch » Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:36 pm

HerrSchreck wrote:
denti alligator wrote: By the way, I did watch Applause (not a silent, but from that era and a Kino release) on your recommendation and it was fantastic. Thanks!
Isn't APPLAUSE just absolutely amazing, Dr. Alligator? Did the return of Tony at the end feel like a last minute pick-me-up tack-on by the studio execs for a stunningly bleak ending?
What I think is a bit sad is that Kino doesn't get the attention when they do something really wonderful. If LOVE ME TONIGHT and APPLAUSE would have been Criterion releases, there would have been much ... eh, applause, sorry for the pun, couldn't resist. As Kino releases they were hardly noticed it seems to me.
I add my voice to the chorus of those who sing the praise of Mamoulian and strongly suggest buying his films. APPLAUSE must be the most stunning debut besides CITIZEN KANE, don't even dare to think it's just an old talkie where the camera moves occasionally a bit and that's all to it.

Gordon

#114 Post by Gordon » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:05 am

HerrSchreck wrote: Other decent Kino DVDs are DEMENTIA (do NOT miss that film, anyone), THEY MADE ME A FUGITIVE (one of the most incredible noirs you'll ever see, in ALL departments... Trevor Howard at his very best)
God, yes; Dementia is a real doozy and the recut version is also included on the disc.

I was reading about Applause last night, coincidentally and I think I'll check it out soon.
lubitsch wrote: What I think is a bit sad is that Kino doesn't get the attention when they do something really wonderful.
This is true. They released the amazing Carl Jung documentary, Matter Of Heart and also included the rarely seen BBC "Face to Face" interview with Jung from 1959 and footage of Jung at Bollingen in 1951. Priceless stuff and this DVD wasn't reviewed anywhere! They also released the 1972 documentary on R.D. Laing, Asylum.

I can't recommend these releases enough. Amazing.

HerrSchreck

#115 Post by HerrSchreck » Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:35 pm

denti alligator wrote:Ok, so we can't be too hard on Kino.
Also don't forget one of the meanest, nastiest, most sinister films ever made, also one of the tightest-- also probably Lon Chaney's most mindblowing performance... blowing his top in furious pride, yet with tears simultaneously dropping right onto his blazer.... the one, the only, the all-cylinders turning masterpiece...... THE PENALTY. I have to recheck my disc to verify whether or not it's a progressive transfer, but the print is in excellent shape (despite small overexposure zones at lower-corners) for a mostly forgotten film from 1920, especially considering the lousy preservation shape by comparison of PHANTOM OF OPERA & HUNCHBACK. A extras-jammed special edition, a must-own.

LightBulbFilm

#116 Post by LightBulbFilm » Sun Dec 25, 2005 5:55 pm

I watched Kieslowski's Camera Buff the other night, and the transfer was good but you could see lines and dust specs on it. I always thought Kino was one of the best companies that provided some of the best transfers... I have The Quay Brothers Collection, and I believe that transfer si good. Maybe the lines are supposed to be in the film... or maybe they are unable to remove them?

HerrSchreck

#117 Post by HerrSchreck » Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:29 am

HerrSchreck wrote:
Well, they've done some beautiful work this year with EDISON-- and their AVANT GARDE box is a sacred event for me for two reasons, both progressively transferred from nice prints: more Jean Epstein besides CHUTE DE LA MAISON USHER, one of my favorite films, and actually having

Just revisited my AVANT GARDE box set-- and by god I must admit my error here... mucho combing, non-progressive. Just about all of their silent library is interlaced, despite the quality of the prints/transfer vs. the other market options. It's as hard to come by a Kino progressive transfer as a bull with milking tits. A bizarro choice for a progressive transfer is their Dwain Esper "collection" (MANIAC/NARCOTIC). I slapped on NARCOTIC and if there's combing in there I couldn't find any.

I'm also surprised nobody around here mentions LITTLE FUGITIVE. No less than every cinegeeks hero Truffaut cites this 1953 film as the true source and inspiration for the New Wave.

kazantzakis

#118 Post by kazantzakis » Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:09 pm

Suzuki's Taisho trilogy coming out on March 7. Covers posted on Amazon. You can see the individual covers by looking up the titles.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E1MY6S/

htdm

#119 Post by htdm » Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:00 pm

Thanks for the info, kazantzakis. I'm still happily surprised that Kino/KimStim have decided to release this as a series in R1. That box cover isn't all that horrible, but each of the individual covers look like they could induce brain damage.

BTW, the very uninspired cover art for Prix de Beaute (1930) is also up at amazon.

kazantzakis

#120 Post by kazantzakis » Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:03 pm

I agree, but covers aside, lots of folks here have been waiting for these for a while. Here's to hoping they dont get canceled, delayed etc

FilmFanSea

#121 Post by FilmFanSea » Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:30 pm

kazantzakis wrote:Suzuki's Taisho trilogy coming out on March 7. Covers posted on Amazon. You can see the individual covers by looking up the titles.

I'm quite surprised that Zigeunerweizen won't be released by Suzuki Central, a.k.a. The Criterion Collection. I wonder how the rights to the trilogy slipped through their fingers?

Narshty

#122 Post by Narshty » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:23 pm

Maybe they decided six of his films in the collection was enough.

HerrSchreck

#123 Post by HerrSchreck » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:11 am

FilmFanSea wrote:
kazantzakis wrote:Suzuki's Taisho trilogy coming out on March 7. Covers posted on Amazon. You can see the individual covers by looking up the titles.

I'm quite surprised that Zigeunerweizen won't be released by Suzuki Central, a.k.a. The Criterion Collection. I wonder how the rights to the trilogy slipped through their fingers?
I believe I heard elsewhere that their (CC's) Suzuki sales had been a major disappointment to them.

htdm

#124 Post by htdm » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:13 pm

I finally saw Operetta Tanuki Goden (Princess Raccoon?) last night and would love to see Criterion do this!

whaleallright

#125 Post by whaleallright » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:29 pm

Probably won't happen as Sony Pictures Classics have the rights to the film in the US.