E1 Entertainment (formerly Koch Lorber)

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
devlinnn

#26 Post by devlinnn » Sun May 22, 2005 11:09 pm

Koch Lorber continues the Jacques Demy - A Slightly Pregnant Man from '73 is set for release July 12th.

FilmFanSea

#27 Post by FilmFanSea » Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:36 pm

Whatever happened to the release of Los Olvidados that Koch Lorber was supposedly working on last year?
Los Olvidados is still in limited theatrical distribution (it showed in Seattle recently), so I would expect a DVD sometime in the fall maybe.

todcraproductions

#28 Post by todcraproductions » Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:48 pm

I dunno, though -- the NW Film Forum does sometimes get things right before the DVD release -- for example, they're showing Save The Green Planet in August, and two weeks later, it comes out on DVD (Also Koch Lorber, I think). Speaking of which, I am so excited that's coming out -- it's one of the best films I've ever seen. I am basically going to force everyone who hasn't seen it that I know to go down to the Film Forum when it plays.

I don't know about Los Olividados (which I'm also excited for, especially since I just missed the Film Forum's screening....), but hopefully it'll be sooner than that! But if not, Fall's not too far off, I suppose.

FilmFanSea

#29 Post by FilmFanSea » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:00 pm

Also, FWIW, I didn't find the Koch Lorber "restored" print of Los Olvidados that played at Seattle's Northwest Film Forum to be any significant improvement over the Films sans Frontières DVD release. For those that own the latter, I would definitely wait for the eventual DVD Beaver comparison before "upgrading" to the Koch Lorber.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#30 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:25 pm

Regarding Los Olvidados: I don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere (apologies if that's the case), but according ot the June 27-July 10 issue of "Variety," there's a legal battle over the rights to the film between Films Sans Frontieres and Televisa. Televisa is claiming they own the exclusive worldwide rights filed a lawsuit against the company in April. Koch Lorber (whose re-release was licensed from FSF) and the Film Forum were also named. Koch apparently decided that Televisa's claim was sound and settled out of court (the article says they still plan to release the film on DVD, licensed from Televisa instead of FSF). So if you're worried how the Koch DVD will turn out, now might be a good time to grab the FSF release.

Ashirg

#31 Post by Ashirg » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:44 pm

Teorema is coming from Koch or Koch Lorber on October 4th...

Kudzu

#32 Post by Kudzu » Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:04 pm

Ashirg wrote:Teorema is coming from Koch or Koch Lorber on October 4th...
What's the source on this? If this information's solid, I'll be a very happy man.

Of course, I'd be even happier if someone stole the Water Bearer Pasolini releases away by force and actually gave them some decent treatment but that's another story.

Ashirg

#33 Post by Ashirg » Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:59 pm

DVD Planet have it listed...

Ashirg

#34 Post by Ashirg » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:42 am

They will also release a sequel to Big Deal on Madonna Street, Big Deal on Madonna Street: 20 Years Later on the same day.

FilmFanSea

#35 Post by FilmFanSea » Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:25 pm

There appears to be a new entry in the category of Most Outrageous Double-Dips, courtesy of Koch Lorber. DVD Planet
lists a 3-disc Collector's Edition of La Dolce vita selling for--get ready--EIGHTY bucks.

No specs yet but, at that price, it better come with a lock of Anita Ekberg's hair and an authenticated vial of water taken from the Trevi Fountain and blessed by Pope Benedict XVI himself.

Rufus T. Firefly

#36 Post by Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:22 pm

FilmFanSea wrote:No specs yet but, at that price, it better come with a lock of Anita Ekberg's hair and an authenticated vial of water taken from the Trevi Fountain and blessed by Pope Benedict XVI himself.
It would be appropriate indeed if Papa Ratzi was involved in this release.

Fletch F. Fletch

#37 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:14 am

From DavisDVD:
Acclaimed Danish filmmaker Lars Von Trier's 1994 supernatural mini-series The Kingdom: Series One is coming to Region 1 DVD from Koch Releasing. The complete five hour series - the basis for Stephen King's Stateside remake "Kingdom Hospital" - will be presented in 1.33:1 fullscreen and Danish Dolby Digital Stereo with English subtitles. Bonus materials will include an audio commentary with Lars Von Trier, behind-the-scenes footage, TV spots directed by Von Trier and a trailer. Look for The Kingdom to street on November 8th with a retail price of $34.98.

Kristoffer4

#38 Post by Kristoffer4 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:12 pm

Taken from HTF:
Specs for La Dolce vita SE 3 disc:
DVD Empire has the artwork and the extras with November 8 release date:

Quote:
Features:
40 Page collector's booklet with essay by Italian cinema and Fellini expert, Peter Bondanella. Includes rare behind-the-scenes photos from the filming of La Dolce Vita

Five 5'' x 7'' Collectible Photographs
11'' x 7'' Collectible Poster

Disc 1
Commentary by noted critic and film historian Richard Schickel
Introduction by acclaimed director Alexander Payne

Disc 2
Fellini TV - Collection of Never-Before-Seen Fellini Shorts
Remembering the Sweet Life - Interviews with Marcello Mastroianni and Anita Ekberg
Cinecitta: The House Of Fellini - Musical montage of Fellini's beloved studio
Fellini, Roma and Cinecitta - Interview with Fellini
Extensive Photo Gallery
Restoration Demo
Biographies
Filmographies

Disc 3
Documentary on La Dolce Vita composer Nino Rota
Interview with Anita Ekberg (2004)
Interview with Federico Fellini from France TV (1960)
Marcello Mastroianni speaking about La Dolce Vita on France TV (1960)
Discussion with Fellini's closest friend and colleague, Rinadlo Gelend, on La Dolce Vita themes
Footage with the last surviving La Dolce Vita screenwriter, Tullio Pinelli.

Audio:
ITALIAN: Dolby Digital 5.1
ITALIAN: Dolby Digital Stereo
ITALIAN: Dolby Digital Mono

Subtitles:
English, Spanish

What A Disgrace

#39 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:58 pm

For those of you who are actually considering the super-priced monster version of La Dolce Vita...Digital Eyes it for pre-order at approximately $48.

FilmFanSea

#40 Post by FilmFanSea » Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:26 pm

No papally-blessed fountain water = NO SALE

Narshty

#41 Post by Narshty » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:27 pm

$80!

Lino

#42 Post by Lino » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:14 pm

And STILL no sign of a trailer? Oh, well I hope they at least fix those horrid yellow subtitles.

cafeman

#43 Post by cafeman » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:32 pm

Kristoffer4 wrote:Documentary on La Dolce Vita composer Nino Rota
This wouldn`t be the same excellent doc from the Criterion 8 1/2?

richast2

#44 Post by richast2 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:35 am

Ashirg wrote:Teorema is coming from Koch or Koch Lorber on October 4th...
be still my beating heart! according to Amazon, it's Koch Lorber, and features: 2005 Documentary "Pasolini and Death: A Purely Intellectual Thriller" (53 minutes)

FilmFanSea

#45 Post by FilmFanSea » Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:24 pm

Tim Hinsley, VP of Acquisitions and Development at Koch Lorber, and the producer of the company's original 2-disc release of La Dolce vita, as well as the upcoming $80 3-disc Deluxe Collector's Edition, has begun posting again at the DVD Talk Forum. He has faced a very hostile crowd as he tries to justify the exorbitant price of the new release and deflect criticisms of the prior release (yellow subs, "banding" of the picture). Some highlights:

1. Subtitles: "On the subtitles, we have given you the option of either white or yellow (because some people actually like the yellow)."

2. Extras: "A lot of the materials added were to placate some of the fans that thought that the first set was not La Dolce centric enough, including interviews with Rinaldo Geland and Tullio Pinelli, period interviews with Fellini and Mastroianni, a new [19-minute] Anita Ekberg interview and an exhaustive essay by Peter Bondanella. The Rota doc is amazing [it is a new Italian production---not the same documentary that appears on the CC's 8½]."

3. The Price: "The MSRP is where it is because of the packaging, which is extensive and the additonal third disc of bonus features ... There is a 11X17 poster, 5 limited edition photos and a 60 page book, as well as a new 3 disc digi and a gold leaf case. We are really triyng to make this a collectable piece and a great gift for the cinema fan." "We realize that a lot of you will not buy this again (we, of course, hope that some of you do), but we hope that we will be able to garner new fans to this wonderful film and that some that have already bought it will give it out as gifts during the holiday season."

4. The Transfer: "We did re-open the disc to make some small changes, but we believe the restoration that we have already done is the best version of the film on the market (I can't stand the film dirt and synch issues on the Medusa version)" and "Regarding the banding, we have not made any significant changes to the master. I explained on the original forum that the banding issues were inherent to the master we were using and that we have done our best to get rid of it. We do feel, and many people agree, that ours is much clearer and crisper, with better hues and lighting definition. But that is a matter of opinion."

4. Upcoming from Koch Lorber: "[Los] Olvidados is on hold for the moment while the various rights holders work out their issues. We still have the rights but are holding off.

2006 (since I think you are all aware of the remaining 2005 releases of Riget and Teorema), is highlighted by [Visconti's] Ludwig, [the Taviani Brothers'] Kaos and [Alain Corneau's] Tous Les Matins du Monde."

Lino

#46 Post by Lino » Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:32 pm

Why, oh why couldn't Criterion have gotten the rights to Ludwig?! Grrr...now I'm really mad! I only hope they do the film justice as gone are now my hopes of a CC 3 disker for this one...

tryavna

#47 Post by tryavna » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:15 pm

FilmFanSea wrote:Tim Hinsley . . . has faced a very hostile crowd as he tries to justify the exorbitant price of the new release and deflect criticisms of the prior release (yellow subs, "banding" of the picture).
Thanks for posting this info, FilmFanSea! I thank perhaps the crowd over there is being a little unduly hostile, though Lord knows Koch Lorber sometimes deserves it. That $80 price tag seems extraordinarily high -- especially in comparison to Criterion's 3-discers, which run only $50.

But what does Hinsley and his colleagues expect when they've just unleashed what I'm told is a very disappointing release of the Lina Wertmuller Collection? I know that only two of those films are anamorphic, which is enough of a disappointment in 2005, but has anybody actually picked this one up? I can't find a single review online (apart from Amazon). I'm not even sure if the non-anamorphic releases are in the correct AR.

Gordon

#48 Post by Gordon » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:06 pm

Ludwig? Awesome. As long as it's the uncut 245-minute version.
There is an excellent German DVD, but it doesn't have English subs.

Outrageous film; I'm so glad I'll finally be able to own it.

Kino's La Dolce Vita double-dip is a bit short-sighted, or even
cynical. Yella' subs on a bw film are one of my pet hates.

Teorema hasn't aged well, in my eyes. But I'm glad that it's
coming to DVD.

dx23

#49 Post by dx23 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:56 pm

Kino's La Dolce Vita double-dip is a bit short-sighted, or even cynical. Yella' subs on a bw film are one of my pet hates.
It's actually Koch Lorber's La Dolce Vita. I just hope that they don't put the same price point on Los Olvidados.

Gordon

#50 Post by Gordon » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:29 pm

Koch Lorber indeed! :oops: