Palm Pictures

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Jeff

#26 Post by Jeff » Sat May 28, 2005 10:16 am

Specs and cover art are up for the next entries in The Director's Label series: http://www.directorslabel.com/

vol. 4 - Mark Romanek
vol. 5 - Jonathan Glazer
vol. 6 - Anton Corbijn
vol. 7 - Stephane Sednaoui

Lino

#27 Post by Lino » Sat May 28, 2005 11:05 am

Can someone please make quotes of the full specs for all four discs? I'm not able to access that page.

Matt

#28 Post by Matt » Sat May 28, 2005 11:18 am

The Work of Director
Mark Romanek

Jay Z - 99 Problems (directors cut)
Linkin - Park Faint
Red Hot - Chili Peppers Can’t Stop
Johnny Cash - Hurt
Audioslave - Cochise (director’s cut)
No Doubt - Hella Good (directors cut)
Mick Jagger - God Gave Me Everything
Janet Jackson - Got Til It’s Gone
Fiona Apple - Criminal
Nine Inch Nails - Perfect Drug
Beck - Devil’s Haircut
Weezer - El Scorcho (director’s cut)
Eels - Novocaine for the Soul
Sonic Youth - Little Trouble Girl
Michael & Janet Jackson - Scream (directors cut)
Madonna - Bedtime Story
R.E.M. - Strange Currencies
G. Love & Special Sauce - Cold Beverage
Nine Inch Nails - Closer (director’s cut)
David Bowie - Jump, They Say
Madonna - Rain
Lenny Kravitz - Are You Gonna Go My Way
Keith Richards - Wicked as it Seems (director’s cut)
En Vogue - Free Your Mind
kd lang - Constant Craving

Special Features
The Work of Director Mark Romanek
A brand new documentary featuring Beck, Jay Z, Rick Rubin, Michael Stipe, Janet Jackson, Trent Reznor, Anthony Keidis, Gwen Stefani, Keith Richards and others.

Romanekian
Ben Stiller, Chris Rock and Robin Williams discuss Mark’s work

Making of 99 Problems

Interviews and Commentaries
Individual artist and director commentaries for all the music videos.

52 Page Book
Includes photographs by Mark Romanek and Spike Jonze interview with Mark

The Work of Director
Jonathan Glazer

Music Videos
Radiohead - Street Spirit
Jamiroquai - Virtual Insanity
Richard Ashcroft - A song for the Lovers
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Into My arms
UNKLE - Rabbit in Your Headlights
Blur - The Universal
Radiohead - Karma Police
Massive Attack - Karmacoma

Commercials
Wrangler - Ride
Guinness - Surfer (extended)
Guinness - Swim Black
Guinness - Dreamer
Volkswagen - Protection
Stella Artois - Last Orders
Stella Artois - Whip Round
Levis - Kung Fu
Levis - Odyssey
Barclays - Bull (with Samuel L. Jackson)
Barclays - Chicken (with Samuel L. Jackson)

Including Nick Cave, Richard Ashcroft, Jamiroquai, Denis Lavant, 3D, Blur and James Lavelle.

Films
Sexy Beast (excerpt) - You’re the Problem
Interviews with Ray Winstone and Sir Ben Kingsley
Birth (excerpt) - Central Park
Interviews with Nicole Kidman, Danny Huston, Harris Savides, Milo Addica and Jean Claude Carriere.

Tramp
Paul Kaye

52 Page Book
Includes photographs, sketches, storyboards and interviews.
The Work of Director
Anton Corbijn

Music Videos
Propaganda - Dr. Mabuse
David Sylvian - Red Guitar
Echo and The Bunnymen - Seven Seas
Golden Earring - Quiet Eyes
Echo and The Bunnymen - The Game
Depeche Mode - Behind the Wheel
Joy Division - Atmosphere
Joni Mitchell with Peter Gabriel - My Secret Place
Depeche Mode - Enjoy the Silence
U2 - One (director’s cut)
Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds - Straight to You
Depeche Mode - Walking in My Shoes
Nirvana Heart - Shaped Box
Henry Rollins - Liar
Metallica - Hero of the Day
Metallica - Mama Said
Depeche Mode - Barrel of a Gun
Depeche Mode - It’s No Good
Herberg Grönemeyer - Bleibt Alles Anders
Mercury Rev - Opus 40
Mercury Rev - Goddess on a Hiway
Joseph Arthur - In the Sun
Herberg Grönemeyer - Mensch
U2 - Electrical Storm
Travis - Re-Offender
The Killers - All the Things That I’ve Done

Stuff
Beck and Dave Grohl - MTV Promos
U2 - The making of ‘Electrical Storm’

Some YoYo Stuff - Excerpt from a film about Don van Vliet aka Captain Beefheart

Travis - Love Will Come Through (A home made video with Fran Healy)

Depeche Mode - ‘It’s No Good’ tour projections

Palais Schaumberg - Hockey (Anton’s first music video)

Front 242 - Front by Front

NotNa - A documentary about Anton

With U2, Depeche Mode, Travis, Samantha Morton, Metallica, Nick Cave, Echo and The Bunnymen, Mercury Rev, New Order, Joseph Arthur, Kurt Cobain, Herbert Grönemeyer , and others.

52 Page Book
Includes Anton’s photos and drawings.
The Work of Director
Stéphane Sednaoui

Music Videos
Mirwais - I Can’t Wait
Tricky - For Real
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Scar Tissue
Mirwais - Disco Science
R.E.M. - Lotus
Björk - Possibly Maybe
Alanis Morissette - Ironic
Tricky - Pumpkin
Garbage - Queer
Tricky - Hell is Around the Corner
Massive Attack - Sly
Youssou N’Dour & Neneh Cherry - Seven Seconds
Björk - Big Time Sensuality
Björk - Big Time Sensuality (new night version)
Black Crowes - Sometimes Salvation
U2 - Mysterious Ways
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Give It Away
NTM - Le Monde De Demain
U2 - Discotheque (new director’s cut)

Extras
Walk On The Wild Side - Short film inspired by Lou Reed’s song
Army of Me - Animation inspired by Björk’s song
Acqua Natasa - Short film featuring Natasa Vojnovic
Reve Reche - Stéphane’s first short film attempt

34 minutes and 29 seconds of interviews including Björk, Bono, Jean-Paul Gaultier, Michael Stipe, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Shirley Manson, Tricky and more.
Stéphane’s presentation at New York University Film School

52 Page Book
Diary of photos, storyboards, sketches and comments.

Lino

#29 Post by Lino » Sat May 28, 2005 11:49 am

Thank you! Oh, and can someone please hand me a napkin? I'm drooling at those specs! =P~

DDillaman

#30 Post by DDillaman » Sat May 28, 2005 6:52 pm

re: LAST LIFE IN THE UNIVERSE DVD - the Palm release is truncated from the international festival and American theatrical release, so fair warning. There's some speculation it's the same as the British release, but still ... grrr.

Time to at least listen to the Chris Doyle commentary.

pianocrash

#31 Post by pianocrash » Sat May 28, 2005 10:24 pm

re: LAST LIFE IN THE UNIVERSE DVD - the Palm release is truncated from the international festival and American theatrical release, so fair warning. There's some speculation it's the same as the British release, but still ... grrr.
Does anyone know what exactly is missing from the truncated cut? I've been holding out on buying this one, but I almost feel like I need to hear that doyle commentary a few more times. Really!

DDillaman

#32 Post by DDillaman » Sun May 29, 2005 6:44 am

at very least, there's a scene where Kenji
SpoilerShow
cleans up the dead bodies in the house after the shootout
that's gone. I'm not sure all of the other cuts, but I remember there being another scene early on that I didn't see in this cut.

At some point, I'll get the Thai version to compare, but don't expect it to be soon.

Jem

#33 Post by Jem » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:43 pm

Into music video directors, the Directors Label has some new releases for September 05.

Mark Romanek
Jonathan Glazer
Anton Corbijin
and Stéphane Sednaoui

Ashirg

#34 Post by Ashirg » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:49 pm

Ummm, it's been posted above.

I wonder if I should purchase it when it comes out or wait for a boxset with bonus disc... I got screwed over the bonus disc with the first wave of titles.

toiletduck!

#35 Post by toiletduck! » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:06 am

Take it for what it's worth, but according to Amazon, these are being released as a boxset from the get go.

-Toilet Dcuk

colinr0380

#36 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:07 am

This is another nerdy post! After watching the Squarepusher video on the Chris Cunningham music video set I was wondering where I had heard the strange, ominous music cue before - the one that plays at the start of the video as the girl with the dog on top makes her way past the distracted security guard. The reference to Akira (with the soundtrack to the bar scene playing as the security guard goes into the room to check on what he thinks is the girl) was easy to make out, but that other music cue had been bugging me as to where I'd heard it before.

It turns out it was a very intelligently selected music cue! I just rewatched Reanimator again last night and the same cue plays as the recently decapitated then reanimated Dr Hill blags his way past the security guard to the morgue by hiding his severed head in a bad and putting a medical dummy head on top of the body! So it seems the sequence of the girl/dog in lab coat with the same music cue is a fun reference back to Reanimator!

Cinesimilitude

#37 Post by Cinesimilitude » Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:07 pm

Could someone tell me the difference between the R Rated, and Unrated Palm release of Sex and Lucia?

I bought the disc thinking it was the unrated, but there was some sort of sticker over it, the covers are exactly the same for both releases, but the back of mine has a R logo on it.

is it that big of a difference?

Cosomatli

#38 Post by Cosomatli » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:21 pm

SncDthMnky wrote:Could someone tell me the difference between the R Rated, and Unrated Palm release of Sex and Lucia?

I bought the disc thinking it was the unrated, but there was some sort of sticker over it, the covers are exactly the same for both releases, but the back of mine has a R logo on it.

is it that big of a difference?
i have the unrated version, i believe they removed one or two scenes for the rated version, male nudity. but i´m not 100% positive

Lino

#39 Post by Lino » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:20 am

Japan is getting a 4+1 DVD boxset. Don't know what's on the fifth disc, though.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/(blue)/detailv ... ACBW-10304

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#40 Post by Buttery Jeb » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:53 am

Got my Director's Label Vol. 2 set last night. Still haven't had time to watch any of it, but I'm excited.

According to this article, the next batch will include discs for Mike Mills and Garth Jennings/Hammer & Tongs. Unfortunately, David Fincher was approached to do one but declined.

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/music/articl ... 5009990006

-BJ

Arn777

#41 Post by Arn777 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:17 pm

I have just watched the UK Mark Romanek dvd. On my large display it shows lots of rather annoying combing. Is it the same on the US dvd, or is it because it is an NTSC to PAL conversion dvd for the UK. I wanted to get the other 3 from the UK, but may get the US ones instead if there is no combing issue on those.

colinr0380

#42 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:03 am

Watching the Nine Inch Nails video for Closer on the Mark Romanek disc I kept wondering where I had seen the image of the masked reclining lady since and remembered it was from the Gus Van Sant remake of Psycho where there is a flash frame during the murder of William H. Macy's character. There is a capture of this flash frame in this article. It looks like it was a deliberate restaging of the image, but I'm not sure for what purpose.

And of course it is interesting to see Tarsem thanked in the booklet since all the dust covered machinery lifting the glass on tableaus in The Cell obviously came from that video.

Also did anyone else notice that on the Jonathan Glazer disc during the interviews about Birth that Milo Addica has a copy of the Criterion Straw Dogs!

colinr0380

#43 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:04 am

A quick warning. If possible try to get the region 2 Jonathan Glazer disc. The region 1 has a brief notice at the start of the Wrangler 'Ride' advert that the Wizard of Oz 'Follow The Yellow Brick Road' music could not be included due to rights issues, so that advert is played silent. However the Region 2 disc is not affected and includes the music.

Does anyone know anything more about the rights issues that caused this cue to be dropped from the region 1 disc?

Lino

#44 Post by Lino » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:40 am

I'm making my way through the Sednaoui Director's Label DVD and I am bummed for two reasons: number 1, it doesn't feature one of my favorite videos ever, Red Hot Chili Peppers' Breaking the Girl (apparently, neither the band nor the director are very fond of it - it's also not on the RHCP compilation DVD either!). Number 2, the DVD is prepared for widescreen TVs only, which means that ALL fullframe videos are presented windowboxed, with black borders all around the 4 sides of the picture! Grrrrrrrr.......... :evil:

Great videos, though.

Lino

Calvaire / The Ordeal (Fabrice du Welz, 2004)

#45 Post by Lino » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:23 am

JHunter wrote:Twitchfilm has posted a list of upcoming titles, including FOUR new Director Label DVDs.

Oct 11 Calvaire
Having watched this one from the french DVD months ago, I am keeping my thoughts to myself as I want to hear first what others think of this. It's opening all across America now.

By the way, if you haven't seen it, for the love of God don't watch the trailer as it's completely spoiler filled and misleading too!

No one's seen this yet? Well, the US DVD is coming out next month.

colinr0380

#46 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:01 am

Yet ANOTHER nerdy post, lol! I've just been watching David Lynch's Dune and got to the scene where Paul Atredies and his mother are stranded in the desert (about 1hr 22mins in on my copy). Paul has put a 'thumper' down to distract the worms and says to his mother "Remember, walk without rhythm and you won't attract the worm".

I knew I'd heard that phrase used before when I saw the Fatboy Slim Weapon of Choice video in the Spike Jonze set! I'd just assumed it was something to do with the way ladies walk attracting a phallic male 'worm' (especially combined with Christopher Walken's pocket shuffle dance at that point!)

Toxicologist

#47 Post by Toxicologist » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:38 pm

On the subject of the Palm 'Directors Series'..i wonder when we can expect sets from Hammer & Tongs and my most eagerly anticipated....Shynola?

Jean-Luc Garbo

#48 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:01 pm

Much as I'd like a Sophie Muller set, I'd put my vote in for a Matt Mahurin set.

soma

#49 Post by soma » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:55 pm

Lino wrote:
JHunter wrote:Twitchfilm has posted a list of upcoming titles, including FOUR new Director Label DVDs.

Oct 11 Calvaire
Having watched this one from the french DVD months ago, I am keeping my thoughts to myself as I want to hear first what others think of this. It's opening all across America now.
Caught it at MIFF 2005, honestly I thought it was TERRIBLE.

High Tension and Sheitan were masterpieces compared to this pointless trash.

I'm not sure how in depth I can be here as although it's just getting released in the States I saw this over two years ago now and amongst 30 - 40 other films I saw at MIFF that year. But, myself and my more dedicated film friends all thought it veered very close to the worst film of the festival. The initial premise was great, the first half an hour of the film say, intriguing. It built up a great sense of mood, a slowly creeping sense of something about to go horribly wrong. The setup was promising, I'll definitely give it that much. But it just went continually downhill from there.

I do have a soft spot for confrontational genre cinema, but with this one I had to stop and ask myself what was the point of it exactly? To fulfil the perverted desires of said director? It had lost any real sense of tension by the halfway mark, the pacing was absolutely terrible, the narrative became more and more ridiculous - to the point that I no longer cared about the protagonist's plight and spent more time looking at my watch than anything else - it offered nothing original as a genre piece and largely seemed to riff on themes and sequences from a handful of better movies, up the ante on the shock value (entering the realm of pure exploitation) and then come conclusion, tried to sell itself off as some kind of cryptic arthouse nasty. Frankly it was quite insulting.

From memory, some credit has to be given to the cinematography, particularly the eerie shots of the forest which were admirably atmospheric. But that and the initial premise were about all this film had going for it. And I say had, because even these qualities were overshadowed by the film's grotesquely bad second and third acts, an ultimately pointless weird-for-weird's sake premise and a director whom borrows far too much too make up for far too little... talent, that is.

zedz

#50 Post by zedz » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:54 am

You definitely saw the same film as me, soma. Nothing much to add. Much pointless riffing on many earlier, better films; gratuitous and tired "shock" signifiers (e.g. putting a guy in a dress = the ultimate in psychosexual mind-fuckery; abuse of animals = the sine qua non of arty horror) failing to make up for the absence of genuine suspense or surprise.

I thought Haute tension was a pretty bad and silly film, but at least it had a rudimentary grip on constructing effective sequences (even if they didn't add up to much - or at all) that this one lacks.