Palm Pictures

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Jean-Luc Garbo

#1 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:33 am

Let's hope that the Mark Romanek set includes those creepy NIN videos. I love The Perfect Drug video! The Closer video will make it a Parental Advisory item. Ha! Let's hope that Matt Mahurin is given a set. Corbijn and Mahurin are definitely complementary directors. Besides, anyone who loves music videos knows Mahurin. Alas, we haven't heard from him in years, but he did a cover for Forbes a few years back. If they give him a set, let's hope they get all the Metallica videos and especially Building A Mystery by Sarah McLachlan - my favorite with Perfect Drug. A Jake Scott set would be wonderful as well. Lightning Crashes, anyone? Great video. And who can forget Floria Sigismondi with the Tourniquet video? Her stuff would be great, too. Her Sheryl Crow video was cool, the Aguilera one was unremarkable (can you imagine the demands the record execs had for Floria on that shoot?), the Incubus one was total agitprop but well-made and dadaesque agitprop, and the Interpol one was her best in years. A long shot for these, maybe, but I'd kill for a Matt Mahurin set.

milk114

#2 Post by milk114 » Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:55 am

has anyone seen the bonus disc from the director's series boxset yet? I'm kinda upset that I tracked the titles when they were first coming out, each of them late, only to a year later be missing out. Palm would do their customers good by somehow offering the disc if I could "prove" that I am a proud owner of the discs. So... what's on the bonus disc? Is it even worth my ire?

neuro

#3 Post by neuro » Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:10 am

Palm would do their customers good by somehow offering the disc if I could "prove" that I am a proud owner of the discs
You know, I had the same idea...and I e-mailed Palm about a month ago. Essentially, I explained that, like some of us here on the forum, I am a pretty frequent customer of their label and felt that since I had bought each disc separately, was entitled to the bonus disc. I even offered to provide a proof-of-purchase tag from each disc and pay for the shipping. And yet, here I am still with no response. We'll see...

Perhaps if several other of you want to try doing the same, we'll get a response from them.

Tommy Sleeb

#4 Post by Tommy Sleeb » Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:56 pm

The bonus disc is pretty slight - you're not mising much. It has 2 Spike Jonze videos on it (Yeah Yeah Yeah's "Y Control" and that Weezer video from a coupleof years ago where they frolic with various wild animal babies), a Michel Gondry video for the Willowz, a couple of very short video excerpts and quick Q&A at a dvd signing in LA. All in all, the sort of thing you'd watch once.

htdm

#5 Post by htdm » Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:05 am

I realize this is a little early but has anyone received their copy of 6ixtynin9 yet?

I wanted to know if the disc is presented in full screen (as listed on most vendor sites) or 16x9 anamorphic. I checked Palm's site and the film's site site but neither mention anything about the disc's aspect ratio.

JHunter

#6 Post by JHunter » Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:18 am

dmkb wrote:I realize this is a little early but has anyone received their copy of 6ixtynin9 yet?

I wanted to know if the disc is presented in full screen (as listed on most vendor sites) or 16x9 anamorphic. I checked Palm's site and the film's site site but neither mention anything about the disc's aspect ratio.
There is a review on DVD Authority that states it is 1.85:1 anamorphic (Thank God!).

manicsounds

#7 Post by manicsounds » Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:16 am

digitallyobsessed gave a not-so-good review regarding picture quality.
I certainly hope their edition of Last Life In The Universe is ok.....
It so far has the best set of extras anywhere......

JHunter

#8 Post by JHunter » Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:21 pm

manicsounds wrote:digitallyobsessed gave a not-so-good review regarding picture quality.
I'm just happy to see a widescreen, subtitled version AT ALL.
I haven't seen a list of extras yet. What are they?

Brian Oblivious

#9 Post by Brian Oblivious » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:40 pm

From Amazon:
5.1 surround sound
Commentary track with Cinematographer Christopher Doyle
Interviews with cast and crew
Behind-the-Scenes footage
Storyboards and original drawings by Christopher Doyle
Theatrical trailer
Previews
Weblinks
I wonder if the interviews are the same ones on the Thai disc.

manicsounds

#10 Post by manicsounds » Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:47 pm

been listed there for quite some time unnoticed.......

htdm

#11 Post by htdm » Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:06 am

Thanks JHunter and Manicsounds for the info!

JHunter

#12 Post by JHunter » Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:13 am

"Commentary by Cinematographer Christopher Doyle"

Should be quite interesting. Doyle seems to a colorful character, from what I've read.

Regarding the picture quality on "6ixtynin9", DVDTalk's review states:
Picture: Anamorphic Widescreen. Overall the transfer is quite pleasing. Although working with the constraints of a very un-Hollywood budget, the production looks quite good. Now, that isn’t say the constraints don’t come across in the odd low contrast scene or the level graininess in the print. Some minor edge enhancement, but a fair job nonetheless.
Hopefully I'll find out Tuesday (if I can find a store carrying it).

g30

#13 Post by g30 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:27 pm

Could anyone comment on the Time Of The Wolf disc. Is it anamorphic?

Also I was wondering what the quality of the Millennium Mambo disc is?

Thanks,
g30

Donald Brown

#14 Post by Donald Brown » Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:33 pm

You can find reviews for those and thousands of other discs using this site.

zedz

#15 Post by zedz » Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:38 pm

g30 wrote: Also I was wondering what the quality of the Millennium Mambo disc is?
Major warning about this disc on the invaluable Beaver

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#16 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:29 pm

...remains the DVD to beat. Just lovely. ;~}

MEK

mingus

#17 Post by mingus » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:34 am

manicsounds wrote:digitallyobsessed gave a not-so-good review regarding picture quality.
Is there more than one edition of this film (Last Life In The Universe) coming out ?

DVDsoon has one listed from Sony Music !? without any extras
(UPC 074640138195) :
http://www.dvdsoon.com/show-title-detai ... uid=134533
as opposed to DVDpacific, which lists the one from Palm Pictures
(UPC 66020031032) :
http://www.dvdpacific.com/item.asp?ID=638077

Has anybody heard about a different Canadian Release ?

Miguel

#18 Post by Miguel » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:30 pm

Judging from the DoC review Doyle delivers the goods on the commentary!
Now, for the cream of the crop. If you're at all familiar with Christopher Doyle from interviews, you know that he's quite the unique personality. An Aussie who has seen the world through a variety of jobs (such as a sailor), Doyle's journey to film is nothing short of amazing. Though more subdued in this track than some other interviews I've read, his comments here are a revealing look at his filmmaking philosophy not only on this project, but on his past films, as well. Other works are mentioned, including Chungking Express and Hero, tracing the idea that each film he makes is a product of who he is at the time of production. He could not possibly have made Hero without his desert experience on films like Ashes of Time, and so on. He is an articulate, colorful conversationalist, and has a penchant for women and liquor (who doesn't?). Early on, he declares this film is not his best because it wasn't sponsored by a beer company (though there was a lot of Heineken on set). This is an invaluable track for Doyle fans everywhere.

JHunter

#19 Post by JHunter » Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:36 pm

Twitchfilm has posted a list of upcoming titles, including FOUR new Director Label DVDs.

May 24 Freestyle
Jun 14 The Nomi Song
Jun 28 Gunner Palace
Jul 12 JSA
Jul 12 Victim
Aug 09 Full Alert
Aug 09 Memories of Murder
Aug 30 The Work of Director Mark Romanek
Aug 30 The Work of Director Stefan Sednoui
Aug 30 The Work of Director Anton Corbijn
Aug 30 The Work of Director Jonathan Glazer
Oct 11 Bomb the System
Oct 11 Calvaire
Nov 08 Cronicas

For those interested, "Victim" and "Full Alert" are films from Hong Kong director Ringo Lam, while "JSA" (aka Joint Security Area) is from director Park Chan Wook (director of "Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance" and "Oldboy"). "Memories of Murder" is an excellent drama from Korea about an investigation of a series of rape/murders in the 1980s. "Cronicas" is a co-production of Mexico and Equador, starring John Leguizamo, about a TV reporter investigating a serial killer.

manicsounds

#20 Post by manicsounds » Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:20 am

4 awesome directors label announcements!

Cant wait to get UNKLEs Rabbit In Your Headlights in uncensored form on the Glazer DVD.

zedz

#21 Post by zedz » Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:46 pm

The question is: do you buy them now or wait for the bonus disc? :wink:

neuro

#22 Post by neuro » Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:40 pm

In regard to the bonus disc in the Director's Label boxset, I finally received a response from them after about four months' wait:
thank you for your email and interest re: the Directors Box Set!
I am so sorry if I took us so long to get back to you but we finally received the bonus materials and they are ready to go.

Would you please give me your US mailing address so that the package can be sent out as soon as possible?

Thank for your patience!
So it looks like they are willing to send out that bonus disc without any sort of proof-of-purchase. Just don't all bum rush them at once; it might spoil a good thing.

Nihonophile

#23 Post by Nihonophile » Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:39 pm

Has anyone bought Dolls and had trouble with the case? I got a copy last night and attempts to take disc out of the jaws of the case caused the disc to snap.

mmacklem

#24 Post by mmacklem » Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:06 pm

I have this problem as well, although the disc didn't snap. I got the disc out fine and sanded down the side to make it a bit easier. My copies of Noi and Time of the Wolf were even worse than Dolls, but I haven't had the discs for any of them snap.

kazantzakis

#25 Post by kazantzakis » Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:13 pm

Nihonophile wrote:Has anyone bought Dolls and had trouble with the case? I got a copy last night and attempts to take disc out of the jaws of the case caused the disc to snap.
Man, you MUST be working out!