Artificial Eye / Curzon Film World

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
rapta

Re: Artificial Eye / Curzon Film World

#1951 Post by rapta » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:52 am

chatterjees wrote:That's really great news, but I surely hope that one day people will start pushing them into deciding to upgrade their Theo Angelopoulos and Béla Tarr Collections. [-o<
I'd also love to see the remaining Haneke, Wong titles upgraded...if not in a set then at least separately (and maybe a few Kaurismäki too). As for sets, my most-wanted would probably be Jia Zhangke and Abbas Kiarostami (though I was hoping the rights for The Wind Will Carry Us had run out and Eureka might add it to MoC using the Cohen transfer...either way though).

Calvin

#1952 Post by Calvin » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:23 am

In this case, they were releasing it on DVD anyway, Andersson has a new film out and there were HD transfers available so the stars aligned. They missed a similar opportunity with the Dardennes, but it makes more sense for them to upgrade Andersson than Angelopoulos or Tarr (though I'd love them both too). I don't think there are any HD masters of Tarr's films before The Man from London (happy to be corrected here!).

MichaelB

#1953 Post by MichaelB » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:08 am

Calvin wrote:In this case, they were releasing it on DVD anyway, Andersson has a new film out and there were HD transfers available so the stars aligned. They missed a similar opportunity with the Dardennes, but it makes more sense for them to upgrade Andersson than Angelopoulos or Tarr (though I'd love them both too). I don't think there are any HD masters of Tarr's films before The Man from London (happy to be corrected here!).
Is there even one for The Man from London?

As for the Dardennes, they made it clear at the time that HD masters simply weren't available for many of the titles that they had the rights to.

Calvin

#1954 Post by Calvin » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:48 am

MichaelB wrote: Is there even one for The Man from London?

As for the Dardennes, they made it clear at the time that HD masters simply weren't available for many of the titles that they had the rights to.
I don't know either way about The Man from London, but being a 2007 film it may well have.

Re: Dardennes, I wasn't aware that they said that. Thanks for the clarification.

Calvin

#1955 Post by Calvin » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:52 pm

From Blu-Ray.com, the full Q3 slate is as follows:

6th July 2015
Still Alice - Released on DVD & Blu-ray

13th July 2015
A Pigeon Sat On a Branch Reflecting Upon Existence - DVD & Blu-ray
The Roy Andersson Collection (4 Disc set) -- DVD & Blu-ray

27th July 2015
Clouds of Sils Maria - DVD & Blu-ray
The Kid (Chaplin) - DVD & Blu-ray
A Woman of Paris (Chaplin) - DVD & Blu-ray
The Gold Rush (Chaplin) - DVD & Blu-ray
The Circus (Chaplin) - DVD & Blu-ray

10th Aug 2015
Timbuktu - DVD & Blu-ray
Les Combattants - DVD only

24th Aug 2015
Queen & Country - DVD only
City Lights (Chaplin) - DVD & Blu-ray
Modern Times (Chaplin) - DVD & Blu-ray
The Great Dictator (Chaplin) DVD & Blu-ray
Monsieur Verdoux (Chaplin) DVD & Blu-ray

7th Sep 2015
The Salt of the Earth - DVD & Blu-ray
The Dance of Reality - DVD & Blu-ray

21st Sep 2015
Limelight (Chaplin) - DVD & Blu-ray
A King In New York (Chaplin) - DVD & Blu-ray
The Chaplin Revue - DVD & Blu-ray

A box set of the Chaplins and the promised Tarkovsky titles will follow in Q4.

EddieLarkin

#1956 Post by EddieLarkin » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:04 pm

I wonder if The Gold Rush will continue to be the 1942 version only, and if City Lights will remain in the wrong ratio.

Forrest Taft

#1957 Post by Forrest Taft » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:22 pm

No BD for Queen & Contry :shock:

reaky

#1958 Post by reaky » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:23 pm

It's now been over two years since they announced a BD of Au Hasard Balthazar.

rapta

#1959 Post by rapta » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:18 pm

reaky wrote:It's now been over two years since they announced a BD of Au Hasard Balthazar.
I believe that's not their fault, there's a holdup with the company in charge of restoring it. Similar thing going on with Louis Malle's Lift to the Scaffold, it seems.

Lino

#1960 Post by Lino » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:11 pm

Artificial Eye seem to be upgrading to HD some of their older or already released DVDs. Just wishful thinking on my part, of course but does anyone know if they plan to do that with this boxset (yes, I know that The Great Beauty is already out on Blu-ray)?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00H2SUNNW/r ... g=UTF8&me=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rapta

#1961 Post by rapta » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:36 pm

There are plenty of sets I hope they upgrade, it's just a matter of whether there's an HD transfer available, whether the rights are still available, and whether there's a considerable demand at the time. Perhaps - much like they are doing with the upcoming Andersson set (which they almost did DVD-only until some of us lobbied them for Blu-ray as well) - they will 'upgrade' from the DVD set next time a Sorrentino film comes out in the UK, assuming they will be distributing it (they usually try to maintain a relationship with directors, I've noticed). His new one, Youth, is premiering at Cannes this year so I reckon AE will pick it up and release it later this year or, more likely, early next year...followed by a Blu-ray release a couple of months after. So we may see a set then.

I'm personally hoping their decision to finally release Michael Haneke's Funny Games US (despite it having had two Blu-ray releases in the UK in the past, one of which I own) amounts to an eventual upgrade of some of his other titles, and perhaps a box set. But again, that's more likely if and when his next film Flashmob is released.

Finch

#1962 Post by Finch » Fri May 15, 2015 6:21 pm

British distributors Curzon Artificial Eye have acquired Gaspar Noe's (Irreversible) latest film, Love (2015), starring Karl Glusman, Klara Kristin, and Aomi Muyock. The film, which is the first Noe has shot in 3D, will be shown during Special Midnight Screening at the Cannes Film Festival this month.

In addition to Love, Curzon Artificial Eye have picked up the UK distribution rights to Guillaume Nicloux's Valley of Love, starring Gérard Depardieu, Isabelle Huppert, and Dan Warner, and Nanni Moretti's Mia Madre, starring Margherita Buy, John Turturro, and Giulia Lazzarini. Finally, Curzon Artificial Eye will also distribute Xavier Dolan's (Mommy) new film, It's Only The End Of The World, starring Marion Cotillard, Léa Seydoux, and Vincent Cassel.

Preliminary theatrical release dates have not yet been revealed.

Following the acquisitions, Louisa Dent, MD of Curzon Artificial Eye, said: "Valley of Love promises two central performances from French cinema royalty, and Mia Madre sees Nanni Moretti deliver a film that is funny and moving in equal measure.

Gaspar Noé's Love will undoubtedly be one of the talking points of the festival. We are equally excited to be releasing the prodigiously talented Xavier Dolan's up-coming film.

We are having a fantastic year at the box office, and are very pleased to be able to add these films to our slate."

pointless

#1963 Post by pointless » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:36 pm

Curzon Artificial Eye have acquired the distribution rights to the following:

Matteo Garrone's first English-language film, Tale of Tales
Hirokazu Kore-eda's drama Our Little Sister
Michel Franco's Chronic
Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne's The Unknown Girl
Cristian Mungiu's untitled new film
Haifaa Al-Mansour's A Storm in the Stars

martin

#1964 Post by martin » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:38 am

I've had a closer look at the Antoine & Colette audio on the Blu-ray disc. Because the BD has a PCM track it's actually easy to analyze the audio in a wav editor without reconverting the track (whereby we can rule out errors of the conversion process). Besides the missing audio there are a number of other errors such as bad edits or loud digital clicks. The audio starts very abruptly at 1m33sec with a loud and annoying click:

Likewise, during the sequence with the missing audio at 11m18s, there are big clicks when the audio disappears and reappears (only the first incident shown):

In the sequence below, we suddenly hear a brief tone-burst from 9m15s until the normal audio reappears with a loud click just before 9m16s. The frequency of this tone-burst is 24 Hz, btw, and could be related to the framerate. But that's just speculation:

And there are a number of other errors. From a technical viewpoint, the audio of this release would be seriously flawed even if there wasn't any audio missing (you can argue that the clicks etc. wouldn't be there if the audio was intact - but you know what I mean)! AE really must fix this.

TMDaines

#1965 Post by TMDaines » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:23 am

pointless wrote:The Decent One (Der Anständige) (Vanessa Lapa, 2014) - DVD only
Does anyone know if the subtitles here are optional or not?

yoshimori

#1966 Post by yoshimori » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:46 am

Did anyone end up with the AE Roy Andersson Collection on blu-ray? I'll buy it in a heartbeat if it includes "World of Glory", but I can't find a review anywhere that details which shorts are included or what the enigmatic extras wording on the AE site -- "excerpts for Roy Andersson Films" -- means.

neilist

#1967 Post by neilist » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:43 am

yoshimori wrote:Did anyone end up with the AE Roy Andersson Collection on blu-ray? I'll buy it in a heartbeat if it includes "World of Glory", but I can't find a review anywhere that details which shorts are included or what the enigmatic extras wording on the AE site -- "excerpts for Roy Andersson Films" -- means.
The AE DVDs of his films released several years ago all include a 15-minute long featurette comprising of excerpts from each of his films and shorts. I can't imagine that what's included here is any different.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1968 Post by swo17 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:30 am

That's correct, and there are no shorts here.

Kris

#1969 Post by Kris » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:29 pm

Is it just me, or are at least two of the latest Chaplin Blu-rays from Artificial Eye really the shabbiest SD upscales imaginable?

dvdbeaver:
The Kid
The Circus

Or did Mr. Tooze perchance just misgrab the screens...?

eerik

#1970 Post by eerik » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:36 am

More likely just a case of poor masters from MK2. Should be the same quality on all the releases around the world.

StevenJ0001

#1971 Post by StevenJ0001 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:58 pm

Can anybody comment on the picture quality of the Roy Andersson blus? I can't find a review anywhere.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1972 Post by swo17 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:13 pm

They're a definite improvement over the DVDs but I think the picture tends to look a little...cloudy? Perhaps that's how it's supposed to be though.

StevenJ0001

#1973 Post by StevenJ0001 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:04 pm

swo17 wrote:They're a definite improvement over the DVDs but I think the picture tends to look a little...cloudy? Perhaps that's how it's supposed to be though.
Interesting--thanks!

hearthesilence

#1974 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:00 pm

How does the transfer for The 400 Blows compare to Criterion's? I've read suggestions that it looks like the same source/master, but is it perhaps a better encoding? Just wondering if I should just get the Artificial Eye BD since it can be found for 6 quid new in the UK - maybe save a little money by forgoing Criterion's extras.

feihong

#1975 Post by feihong » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:44 pm

These are exciting. I had the French blu ray of The Beat My Heart Skipped, which is very fine, but this one is probably a must-have. The Andrei Rublev, Mirror and Stalker discs I'll probably buy as well.

Does Artificial Eye still have the UK rights to Shinji Aoyama's Eureka? I wish they would corner the market and make a blu-ray edition of that film. In hi-def that film would be rather phenomenal.