Film Movement

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
WmS

Re: Film Movement

#76 Post by WmS » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:13 am

I saw Reflecting Skin once, on VHS, in the 90s and I have never forgotten it-- the fetus, the gasoline, young Viggo. I didn't understand it, either. This was before I was much of a filmwatcher, and I'm looking forward to seeing it again.

And Film Movement has Budd Boetticher's A Time for Dying, which I watched last night. It's so far afield of the Ranown movies, it plays like a parody Western at times, with dreadful but not out-of-character naive acting by the two leads and liberal use of zooms. I wouldn't call it great or even good like the older Boettichers, but like The Reflecting Skin I can't stop thinking about it.

nitin

#77 Post by nitin » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:40 am

Wow Center Stage is a major announcement, did not think any label would pick that up. Hopefully the master is good.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#78 Post by tenia » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:25 am

In for the early Woo and Center Stage.

jazzo

#79 Post by jazzo » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:13 pm

For those that want to see it sooner rather than later, Soda Pictures already released a spectacular blu-ray edition of this. It had previously been released by Soda in the UK, but in 2016, they managed to secure distribution in Canada for a Region 1 release through Mongrel Media here in Toronto. I guess the licence expired, but I also just checked Amazon Canada, and it is still available at a very reasonable price from one seller, fulfilled by Amazon, no less.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#80 Post by domino harvey » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:42 am

All About Lily Chou-Chou coming to Blu-ray in May

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#81 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:40 pm

jazzo wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:13 pm
For those that want to see it sooner rather than later...
What is it?

captveg

#82 Post by captveg » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:26 pm

Unsure how reliable this post is, but here it is:
[One of the additional licensors of StudioCanal catalog titles is] rumored to be Film Movement for a package of 1930s-70s French and British titles and some post-1980 stuff.
That could mean Film Movement ends up being the Blu-ray home of Blood of a Poet and Testament of Orpheus, among others.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#83 Post by domino harvey » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:29 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:40 pm
jazzo wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:13 pm
For those that want to see it sooner rather than later...
What is it?
Reflecting Skin, I believe

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#84 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:22 pm

I'm surprised I missed all the announcements on this thread. Heroes Shed No Tears is ultimately minor Woo, but it makes up for the shaky story in bat shit insanity. I could be wrong, but I think it was ultimately re-cut by the producers against Woo's wishes. A friend of mine met John Woo's daughter at a screening of it and said he actually has a real soft spot for the film. It's the closest Woo got to making an exploitation film with plenty of sex and violence that's a lot of fun (if you're a freak like me), but not as perfect as his string of Hong Kong films after like Hard Boiled, The Killer or Bullet in the Head.

I'm also surprised I miss the All About Lily Chou-Chou announcement. I haven't seen the film in thirteen years as I found it absolutely devastating the first time. Will a Blu-ray upgrade help? I thought it was shot on mini-DV, but maybe someone here knows better about the media format. I remember the imagery leaving a huge impression on me. Between Pedro Costa, Michael Mann and this, I remember being convinced that digital video was the future of cinema. Now that we're in a world of 8K cameras, films rarely look as striking as this.

If it turns out that Film Movement acquired plenty of excellent Studio Canal titles, I can't complain! They're transfers are usually spectacular and the special features very good. Aside from the Violent Cop/Boiling Point cover mishap, Film Movement can do no wrong.

beamish14

#85 Post by beamish14 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:28 pm

Lily Chou-Chou is fantastic news. Hope Swallowtail Butterfly gets some love, too

The Fanciful Norwegian

#86 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:37 pm

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:22 pm
I'm also surprised I miss the All About Lily Chou-Chou announcement. I haven't seen the film in thirteen years as I found it absolutely devastating the first time. Will a Blu-ray upgrade help? I thought it was shot on mini-DV, but maybe someone here knows better about the media format. I remember the imagery leaving a huge impression on me. Between Pedro Costa, Michael Mann and this, I remember being convinced that digital video was the future of cinema. Now that we're in a world of 8K cameras, films rarely look as striking as this.
It was shot in 1080p on the Sony HDW-F900, the first HD 24p camera used for feature production. It was better known for Attack of the Clones but All About Lily Chou-chou beat it to theaters by a good eight months.

colinr0380

#87 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:32 am

Wonderful announcements. I like The Reflecting Skin as well (though it is not one for frog lovers! And I slightly prefer The Passion of Darkly Noon) and is one of the rare appearances of Lindsay Duncan in an American-set film (the other is as the rather unorthodox surgeon in the Arrow Video-worthy Mad Love-modernisation Body Parts a year or so after this), better known for her UK TV roles (she is in the Catherine Zeta-Jones equivalent role of slightly naive crime boss wife 'forced' to turn corrupt to keep her lifestyle intact in the original mini-series of Traffik for example) until she appeared as the critic in Birdman more recently.
The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:22 pm
I'm surprised I missed all the announcements on this thread. Heroes Shed No Tears is ultimately minor Woo, but it makes up for the shaky story in bat shit insanity. I could be wrong, but I think it was ultimately re-cut by the producers against Woo's wishes. A friend of mine met John Woo's daughter at a screening of it and said he actually has a real soft spot for the film. It's the closest Woo got to making an exploitation film with plenty of sex and violence that's a lot of fun (if you're a freak like me), but not as perfect as his string of Hong Kong films after like Hard Boiled, The Killer or Bullet in the Head.
It looks as if this film was made the same year (1986) as Woo did A Better Tomorrow with Chow Yun-Fat. Does it bear comparison at all with that film?
Very glad to hear that All About Lily Chou-Chou. It is probably the best film about what inhabiting a forum on the internet can feel like (which means that translating the constant writing being flashed up on the screen from postings is probably a major subtitling task! Which is actually really important, as pairing up online usernames with their real world equivalent (or just following a particular user's posts through the course of the film) becomes a key element to getting at the emotional power of the film), mixed with a rather distressing bullying-turned-extreme plot occurring in the 'real world' that makes the connections formed anonymously online over the love of a singer seem all the more important as a form of escape from wordly concerns off into the 'ether'! Making it perhaps one of the few (only?) films to suggest that the real world is much worse than the slightly more idealistic, but fragile, mental connectivity of the online equivalent.

It has a wonderful score in general with one of the songs getting a bit more prominence when it reappeared underscoring the samurai sword bequeathing sequence in Kill Bill Vol 1.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#88 Post by tenia » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:52 pm

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:37 pm
It was shot in 1080p on the Sony HDW-F900, the first HD 24p camera used for feature production. It was better known for Attack of the Clones but All About Lily Chou-chou beat it to theaters by a good eight months.
2001 Vidocq also beat SW Ep II by roughly the same amount of time (looks like Vidocq was released around the same period that Lily Chou Chou).

Adam X

#89 Post by Adam X » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:57 am

Not to continue playing this game but Session 9 beats them all.

yoloswegmaster

#90 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:28 pm

Don't know if this has been posted yet but Fate of Lee Khan will be released on July 23 and All About Lily Chou-Chou on May 7.

L.A.

#91 Post by L.A. » Mon May 13, 2019 11:58 am

The Fanciful Norwegian

#92 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:09 pm

The NYFF lineup announcement includes a credit for Film Movement as the distributor for Diao Yinan's The Wild Goose Lake. Judging from a Google search there's been no prior announcement of this, but FM already has a page for the film on their site.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#93 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:44 pm

Excellent news! I still cling onto his previous feature being one of the absolute bests of the last decade. Very intrigued by this one! Film Movement has been one of my favorites for a while, so happy to see them distribute this.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#94 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:43 pm

Just noticed that they have Zombi Child too. Nothing on their website yet, though.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#95 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:07 pm

New Film Movement Classics acquisitions: Raining in the Mountain, L'innocente, Gregory's Girl, Dona Flor and Her Two Husbands, and Mr. Topaze. All are 2K restorations except Dona Flor (which is 4K) and L'innocente (not specified, but I assume it's the same restoration out in the UK from Cult Films).

lzx

#96 Post by lzx » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:23 am

Blu-ray.com review of The Fate of Lee Khan:
...some of the scenes feature fake-sounding effects . . . [that] do not match the sound fidelity or effects from the original audio source and its [sic] clear those are newly produced effects used for the restoration and that do not properly match the original sound design.
Yikes if true. Here's hoping the MoC release will be different.
The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:43 pm
Just noticed that they have Zombi Child too. Nothing on their website yet, though.
Page is up. Looks like they snagged A White, White Day as well.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#97 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:40 am

The MoC specs for Lee Khan promise "original mono" for both the Mandarin and English tracks as well as "restored 5.1" options. I'm confident MOC will live up to that promise, especially after the debacle with the first pressing of Police Story (which had to be replaced when people discovered it used a remix instead of the actual original mono).

L.A.

#98 Post by L.A. » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:06 am

Still wondering did 88 Films ever do something about their release of Seeding of a Ghost which had Mandarin audio instead of the original Cantonese?

nitin

#99 Post by nitin » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:10 am

Didn’t they change the back sleeve to just say “Chinese audio”?

unclehulot

Film Movement

#100 Post by unclehulot » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:48 pm

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:The MoC specs for Lee Khan promise "original mono" for both the Mandarin and English tracks as well as "restored 5.1" options. I'm confident MOC will live up to that promise, especially after the debacle with the first pressing of Police Story (which had to be replaced when people discovered it used a remix instead of the actual original mono).
Those added sound effects are pretty bad! I’m watching the film (Film Movement version) on Hoopla and found a hilarious rip-off on the film’s musical soundtrack. At 1:21:45 there’s a short riff lifted directly from Messiaen’s Turangalila Symphony (about 20 seconds in to the first movement)! Near the end of the film there are even more things lifted from the Messiaen work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk