Redwood Creek Films

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: International Blu-ray discs

#2 Post by swo17 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:00 pm

Just got an update from this project indicating that the Blu-ray will likely be limited to just 300 copies

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Silent Film on DVD and BD

#3 Post by swo17 » Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:04 am

Stefan Andersson

Re: Recent Film Restorations

#4 Post by Stefan Andersson » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:41 pm

Kickstarter campaign for a French resto of Warning Shadows + Bluray:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/re ... ed-blu-ray

Info about the same company´s resto of The Magician (1926) + bluray:
https://www.hometheaterforum.com/commun ... ts.378248/

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Redwood Creek Films

#5 Post by swo17 » Sat May 06, 2023 10:57 pm

Up next for 4K restoration and region-free BD-R release: Lev Kuleshov's By the Law

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#6 Post by swo17 » Fri May 12, 2023 10:32 am

If you missed the campaigns, you can get The Magician here and L'inferno here. Supplies are very limited (only 8 copies remaining of the former as of this writing)

brundlefly

#7 Post by brundlefly » Fri May 12, 2023 11:58 am

Have you watched yours? I have yet to get my copy. They'd better not clear their shelves until they have made sure pledges are honored. Though apparently it's just a BD-R, so...

The release is getting slammed by a couple people in the discussion page on Indiegogo and on that other forum for compression artifacts, DNR, etc.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#8 Post by swo17 » Fri May 12, 2023 12:02 pm

My copy of L'inferno has supposedly shipped but I haven't received it yet. Those reviews are disheartening. Also, I thought you weren't allowed to use the official Blu-ray logo for BD-Rs

brundlefly

#9 Post by brundlefly » Fri May 12, 2023 12:16 pm

Just opened my copy of The Magician (which I got from one of their eBay offers) and it also looks like a BD-R and has the blu-ray logo. (As well as fingerprints on the bottom.) Someone call the logo police.

denti alligator

#10 Post by denti alligator » Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:36 pm

swo17 wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:04 am
Warning Shadows restoration Kickstarter
Has anyone received their copy? They claim it was mailed to me end of May but that they have no tracking and that there were issues with the French postal system that might contribute to delays. But it’s been 6 weeks. I don’t think I’ve ever had a package take that long to reach me from anywhere in the world.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#11 Post by swo17 » Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:45 pm

I didn't participate on this one, but something similar happened to me with L'inferno. I understand copies were shipped out mid-April. I emailed at the end of May saying I hadn't received it yet. They sent a replacement June 1 and just a few days later the first copy finally arrived (damaged). However, the replacement copy turned up just a week later

denti alligator

#12 Post by denti alligator » Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:55 pm

Well, it’s discouraging that they haven’t responded to my second email. But I guess I’ll get one eventually. I hope it actually looks good.

dekadetia
was Born Innocent

#13 Post by dekadetia » Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:57 pm

denti alligator wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:36 pm
swo17 wrote:
Has anyone received their copy?
I did. Between this and L'Inferno I think I'm finished backing this group. I'm no expert but the PQ feels very lacking compared to extant restos of same that have been broadcast on television. They don't seem to know what they're doing.

denti alligator

#14 Post by denti alligator » Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:02 pm

dekadetia wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:57 pm
denti alligator wrote:
swo17 wrote:
I did. Between this and L'Inferno I think I'm finished backing this group. I'm no expert but the PQ feels very lacking compared to extant restos of same that have been broadcast on television. They don't seem to know what they're doing.
May I ask when you got yours (seeing as we’re in the same state)?

It’s really a shame if they fucked this up.

dekadetia
was Born Innocent

#15 Post by dekadetia » Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:09 pm

denti alligator wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:02 pm
dekadetia wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:57 pm
denti alligator wrote:

May I ask when you got yours (seeing as we’re in the same state)?

It’s really a shame if they fucked this up.
About ten days ago. My L'Inferno never materialized; once I saw the reviews on that one I gave up the pursuit.
Last edited by dekadetia on Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeprongMori

#16 Post by DeprongMori » Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:10 pm

denti alligator wrote:
swo17 wrote:
Has anyone received their copy? They claim it was mailed to me end of May but that they have no tracking and that there were issues with the French postal system that might contribute to delays. But it’s been 6 weeks. I don’t think I’ve ever had a package take that long to reach me from anywhere in the world.
I got mine a few weeks ago. I’m in California. Haven’t played it yet.

jheez

#17 Post by jheez » Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:32 pm

Stupidly, I participated in the By the Law campaign. It didn't get delivered today, but I got a note from the post office that postage was due on the package for the amount of $17.10. Ugh, this company.

Peacock

#18 Post by Peacock » Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:05 am

jheez wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:32 pm
Stupidly, I participated in the By the Law campaign. It didn't get delivered today, but I got a note from the post office that postage was due on the package for the amount of $17.10. Ugh, this company.
Ouch!
If you do get a moment to watch this would you be able to let us know how it looks in motion? I was one of those who participated in the L’Inferno campaign but am foolishly willing to pick this one up from Ebay if it’s half decent. They told me it’s 25fps rather than 29.97fps like some of their other releases. That’s all I know though about it other than having seen some of the video clips they posted.

jheez

#19 Post by jheez » Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:47 pm

Well, Redwood Creek made things right with the postage, which was a nice surprise.
Peacock wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:05 am
If you do get a moment to watch this would you be able to let us know how it looks in motion?
By the Law It looks OKish. Quality kind of matches a DVD of an old print (with better compression). Depending how sensitive you are, it looks a little weird in motion. Like for a frame there might be detail in part of the frame and the next frame, part of the frame is completely scrubbed. It looks overly-processed, but I think it's watchable. It's an improvement over what is up on YouTube

Peacock

#20 Post by Peacock » Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:48 pm

Thanks jheez. And no thanks (now I’m going to have to spend a stupid amount of money for another dodgy Redwood MOD disk!)

What are your thoughts on the film?

TechnicolorAcid

#21 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:21 pm

Peacock wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:48 pm
Thanks jheez. And no thanks (now I’m going to have to spend a stupid amount of money for another dodgy Redwood MOD disk!)

What are your thoughts on the film?
I know this post wasn't to me but if I may answer your question, I thought it was wonderful. Kuleshov brings his all into this film with striking cinematography and the subtly genius editing that expands on his Kuleshov effect to great success. The cast is wonderfully deranged in their performances adding a heightened sense of tension. But, although it may just be because I recently went on a marathon of his shorts, this could basically be described as a Griffith film from hell, verging on parody. The overacting is very reminiscent of Griffith's performers a lot of the time but amped up to the highest caliber, cross cutting is used extensively to the point that you wonder if it's just one big joke,
SpoilerShow
the emotional moment at the birthday feels like a mockery of a lot of Griffith's moral dilemma movies where you think it will change for the better, but nope they still hang him
, and the plot is sorta similar to the shorts he made where there's a loony killer constantly acting as a bad guy that threatens the good couple with the woman acting as the moral center. That's just my take, not the most founded take but I wouldn't be surprised if that's what the filmmakers intended (especially considering this was a movie by a leading Soviet propagandist in a time where Hollywood movies were still regularly shown in Russia).

jmj713

Re: Recent Film Restorations

#22 Post by jmj713 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:06 am

furbicide

#23 Post by furbicide » Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:40 am

Awesome! Saw Epstein's Fall of the House of Usher on the big screen a while back and was pretty taken with it.

Peacock

#24 Post by Peacock » Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:15 pm

Less than 12 hours left to get your hands on Redwood Creek Films Fall of the House of Usher blu-ray.
As a reminder, Redwood make overpriced BD-Rs and with their past track record there's a higher than average chance the transfer will be poor...! I'm taking a gamble though as this is one of the greatest silents of them all...

(P.S. Thanks TechniAcid for your thoughts on By The Law above! I picked a sealed copy up on Ebay recently)

TechnicolorAcid

#25 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:50 pm

Peacock wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:15 pm
(P.S. Thanks TechniAcid for your thoughts on By The Law above! I picked a sealed copy up on Ebay recently)
Thank you, I have a good appreciation of By the Law and while Eisenstein is more deeply respected because of his cinematic techniques, Kuleshov’s film is probably the best dramatic achievement in the early Soviet years of Russian cinema. A stunning portrait of a descent into madness with a smudge of dark comedy (as mentioned in my review). And I’m glad my review got you to buy it, means a lot so thank you.