Zeitgeist Films

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Ashirg

Re: Zeitgeist Films

#226 Post by Ashirg » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:47 pm

Zeitgeist is doing blu-ray releases of Bill Cunningham New York and Manufactured Landscapes in December

tavernier

#227 Post by tavernier » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:57 pm

Von Trotta's Hannah Arendt coming to Blu and DVD on November 19.
BLU-RAY AND DVD SPECIAL FEATURES INCLUDE:

Gorgeous HD transfer, with 5.1 DTS Master Audio on the Blu-Ray Edition
Making-of documentary
Deleted scenes
Original theatrical trailer
Optional English subtitles and SDH
Bonus Q&A with director Margarethe von Trotta, screenwriter Pam Katz, actresses Barbara Sukowa and Janet McTeer, and advisor Jerome Kohn (DVD Edition only)
20-page booklet with essays, historical bios, a timeline and more

fdm

#228 Post by fdm » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:10 am

tavernier wrote:Von Trotta's Hannah Arendt coming to Blu and DVD on November 19.
BLU-RAY AND DVD SPECIAL FEATURES INCLUDE:

Gorgeous HD transfer, with 5.1 DTS Master Audio on the Blu-Ray Edition
Making-of documentary
Deleted scenes
Original theatrical trailer
Optional English subtitles and SDH
Bonus Q&A with director Margarethe von Trotta, screenwriter Pam Katz, actresses Barbara Sukowa and Janet McTeer, and advisor Jerome Kohn (DVD Edition only)
20-page booklet with essays, historical bios, a timeline and more
Still up for it, but dvd exclusive content? Sheesh, maybe not.

(Was going to post about how there would have been a chance of my double dipping if Kino had managed to provide similar supplements for Barbara, but so far it seems they are going bare bones, so no sale there either unless they throw in a last minute surprise.)

tavernier

#229 Post by tavernier » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:48 pm

Zeitgeist on the DVD-only content:
the Q&A is rough SD quality, so we put it on the DVD: the BD-25 can only hold so much.

MichaelB

#230 Post by MichaelB » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:08 pm

A very sensible policy in line with the BFI's equally sensible one that they've had ever since they first got into Blu-ray. Why waste the space if it makes no difference to the viewing experience?

Arrow did something similar with Black Sabbath - since the BD contained two versions of the main feature and a 35-minute HD analysis of the differences, they stuck all the SD-sourced material onto the accompanying DVD.

Gregory

#231 Post by Gregory » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:15 pm

Wait, is the Blu-ray release dual format? I thought these were separate Blu and DVD releases and that those opting for the Blu wouldn't be able to watch the Q&A.

MichaelB

#232 Post by MichaelB » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:23 pm

Ah - if that's true, then that's a different matter entirely!

Gregory

#233 Post by Gregory » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:28 pm

Zeitgeist's product info doesn't say anything about dual-format. The DVD Empire page says that it is dual, but their product info is often wrong, especially for pre-order items.

tavernier

#234 Post by tavernier » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:43 pm

As far as I know, it is not dual format

Ashirg

#235 Post by Ashirg » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:24 am

Tales From the Gimli Hospital on June 3.

solaris72

#236 Post by solaris72 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:22 am

Christopher Nolan’s Syncopy Teaming With Zeitgeist on Blu-ray Releases
The first title in the partnership is “Elena,” from “Leviathan” director Andrey Zvyagintsev. “Elena,” which won the Cannes’ Un Certain Regard Special Jury Prize, is a modern noir thriller in which 60ish spouses uneasily share a palatial Moscow apartment.

“Elena” stars Nedezhda Markina in the title role and features Hitchcockian music by Philip Glass. Zeitgeist has set an Aug. 4 release.

“We are excited to be able to release this beautiful film on Blu-ray for the first time,” said Zeitgeist co-presidents Nancy Gerstman and Emily Russo. “This is a dream project for us and we’re grateful to Chris and Emma for their support in making it possible.”

The next collaboration between Syncopy and Zeitgeist will be a compilation of the Quay Brothers’ animated short films to be released for the first time on Blu-ray in the fall.

Ashirg

#237 Post by Ashirg » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:04 pm

Elena blu-ray specs announced:

SPECIAL FEATURES
Beautiful high definition digital transfer
39-minute making-of film
30-minute interview with director Andrey Zvyagintsev
Poster screenprinting video
5.1 and stereo soundtracks
U.S. theatrical trailer
20 page booklet

criterionsnob

#238 Post by criterionsnob » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:55 am

The Quay Brothers: Collected Short Films featuring Christopher Nolan's short film Quay as well as 15 Quay shorts on blu-ray (including 3 not available on Zeitgeist's previous DVD collection). Coming October 20th.

denti alligator

#239 Post by denti alligator » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:34 am

criterionsnob wrote:The Quay Brothers: Collected Short Films featuring Christopher Nolan's short film Quay as well as 15 Quay shorts on blu-ray (including 3 not available on Zeitgeist's previous DVD collection). Coming October 20th.
So incredible that this is coming to Blu-ray!

zeitgeistfilms

#240 Post by zeitgeistfilms » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:18 pm

Hi everyone, we wanted to make an account to share upcoming release information and other assorted tidbits. Here's a packaging shot of our latest release, Elena, out today!

The Blu-ray is available on our website for 40% off here.

We hope to have some packaging shots for our next Blu-ray release, The Quay Brothers: Collected Short Films soon. In the meantime, let us know if you have any questions and we'll do our best to answer!

criterionsnob

#241 Post by criterionsnob » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:38 pm

zeitgeistfilms wrote:In the meantime, let us know if you have any questions and we'll do our best to answer!
Welcome to the forum and I'm glad you've started to release films on blu-ray! I'd love to see your Peter Greenaway, Guy Maddin, and Derek Jarman releases on blu-ray. Any chance of seeing those in the near future?

warren oates

#242 Post by warren oates » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:29 pm

Hi, Zeitgeist. Got the Elena blu. I have to say I'd love to see some of your older catalog titles go blu too. Even though I have many of the following on DVD already, I'd get the Assayas films in a second if you reissued them on Blu-ray, both Late August, Early September and Irma Vep. And the beautiful and certain to benefiit from an HD presentation Regular Lovers. Also Climates. Also The Oath, maybe with some new special features now that Poitras won her well deserved Oscar for Citizenfour? And what about all of your Atom Egoyan films (that Artificial Eye has already upgraded in the U.K.)? Or the Jarman films or Kiarostami's Ten (though there might not be a point to this one technically)?

Jack Phillips

#243 Post by Jack Phillips » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:14 pm

warren oates wrote:Hi, Zeitgeist. Got the Elena blu. I have to say I'd love to see some of your older catalog titles go blu too. Even though I have many of the following on DVD already, I'd get the Assayas films in a second if you reissued them on Blu-ray, both Late August, Early September and Irma Vep.
Seconded and Thirded.

Calvin

#244 Post by Calvin » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:32 pm

Fourthed? I read that the French recently restored a bunch of early Assayas films, including Irma Vep so that would be particularly great to see on Blu-Ray.

Ashirg

#245 Post by Ashirg » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:36 pm

I wonder how much of this decision is up to Zeitgeist or Syncopy.

zeitgeistfilms

#246 Post by zeitgeistfilms » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:57 am

So, we don't have any immediate plans for future blu-ray releases yet. We're a (very) small company and right now all of our energy is focused on making The Quay Brothers: Collected Short Films the best we possibly can. We're definitely keeping track of what everybody is interested in though and hope to do more in the future.

Warren Oates - Unfortunately, we don't have the rights for Late August, Early September anymore. I do agree Irma Vep would be a great release, though! I personally would also love to see our Guy Maddin works on Blu-ray.

Ashirg - Christopher Nolan himself chose Elena and The Quay Brothers collection to release on Blu-ray. He's a big fan of Zvyagintsev's work and wanted to help get Elena out in HD. He's long admired The Quay Brothers and believed that their work in particular would benefit from the high definition upgrade. He also wanted to help introduce them to new audiences, which is why he curated and struck new prints for The Quay Brothers in 35mm, currently playing in New York before bouncing around North America.

nothingface

#247 Post by nothingface » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:27 am

Hi zeitgeistfilms, I got a few questions about the Quay Brothers blu-ray.

1. Is it going to be region A locked, or region free release?

2. Will all the extras from the dvd going to be ported over? (commentaries, etc.)

Thanks

zeitgeistfilms

#248 Post by zeitgeistfilms » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:16 pm

nothingface wrote:Hi zeitgeistfilms, I got a few questions about the Quay Brothers blu-ray.

1. Is it going to be region A locked, or region free release?

2. Will all the extras from the dvd going to be ported over? (commentaries, etc.)

Thanks
1. Yes, the Blu-ray will be Region A locked. Unfortunately, our hands were tied on that.

2. The commentaries are on the Blu-ray. The booklet has been updated with new content (including an introduction by Christopher Nolan.) The interviews did not make it - we're considering alternative methods to make that content available.

We ended up having to rescan a few films, so the release date got pushed back a little bit. The blu-ray will be available on November 24. You can preorder through our website now and get 25% off.

AK

#249 Post by AK » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:24 pm

First of all, a big thank you and a virtual hug to the Zeitgeist team for the new Quay Blu-ray. I haven't watched all of the stuff yet, merely the newest additions I haven't been able to see elsewhere, and a few of the older and more familiar ones, but in all I'm mightily impressed so far. Many thanks also to Michael, whose excellent Dictionary has grown even more enjoyable — didn't know that was possible, considering how good it was to begin with on the DVD editions.

A big thank you would also go to Christopher Nolan, who has used his name to bring more appreciation to these great artists. Although there are many films I love passionately and obsessively, the films of the Quays hold a special place in my heart. These are films I return to time and again, for all purposes really. When I'm sad, happy, lonely, exuberant, whatever. Their films speak to me directly in their dream language like only a few other artists' work does. They're so intimate it's like they're part of me, and after watching them it's like I've come back from a really nice holiday, or woken up from a dream. Only these dreams I can relive again and again.

I truly hope the touring exhibition and this Blu-ray bring more recognition to the Quays so that their future projects might get the necessary funding. I love the Nolan short, which however is too short, since I could watch the brothers work for hours.

But boy oh boy will the digipack fall apart, since this will be in heavy use.

merzbau

#250 Post by merzbau » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:09 pm

Just received and started in on this today, and by and large it's a revelation. I'd previously only been able to see Maska as a blocky, grainy Youtube rip- I'm sure anyone would agree this is no way to view a film, but seeing it properly has put it among my favorite work from their entire career. Likewise, simply seeing Anamorphosis in HD drew my attention to a clever teasing detail that was never legible on DVD (at least on my TV), the actual three-dimensional lute string emerging from Holbein's The Ambassadors at the beginning and end.

That said, I'd be lying if I didn't express a little disappointment at the dropped extras. I sold my copy of Phantom Museums, and while I can pick up another, it's a shame that at least Nocturna Artificiala and The Calligrapher weren't carried over. Was this due to rights issues, availability of materials, limitations of disk space, or the Quays' request? I know they don't think much of the former and the latter was work for hire, but it would be a real shame not to preserve them in the best condition possible...