Studio Canal / Kinowelt / Optimum

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
reaky

#101 Post by reaky » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:24 am

Just received the Optimum Jean-Luc Godard Vol. 1 DVD set, and want to make a couple of observations:

The documentary Chambre 12, Hotel De Suede does not appear as listed earlier, nor does the Colin McCabe introduction. Optimum have instead simply included the existing A Bout De Souffle disc - same transfer, same extras.

However, the Alphaville disc is marvellous, with all the features listed, and a wonderful transfer that outdoes the Criterion, to my eyes. One drawback: non-removable subtitles. Passion and Made In USA also look fine. The documentary on the fifth disc on Godard and Karina looks interesting, too.

It's odd that there is uniformity to the set in the design of menus and layout of extras, and the other three films have been remastered, but at the last minute the old A Bout De Souffle seems to have been bunged in.

justeleblanc

#102 Post by justeleblanc » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:20 am

reaky wrote:bunged in.

Don Lope de Aguirre

#103 Post by Don Lope de Aguirre » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:34 am

bunged in
It means to carelessly throw...

reaky

#104 Post by reaky » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:56 pm

And let's not forget Bernard Bresslaw's role of Bunghit Din in Carry On Up The Khyber.

filmyfan

#105 Post by filmyfan » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:58 pm

I too was disappointed with the BREATHLESS version on this box set...is the same version as I had already-same menus, everything-it was indeed bunged in...

I see that Volume 2 is now listed as coming out in July-will be interesting to see the extras for that..

Ovader

#106 Post by Ovader » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:48 pm

I e-mailed Optimum to tell them of my disappointment with the Breathless DVD and still waiting for a response. On the Encore DVD the Breathless footage on the Godard, Love, Poetry doc was very good compared to the actual DVD. I just finished watching Passion and noticed a lot of ghosting. I thought it is my player but my other PAL DVDs play fine without the ghosting. Anybody experienced the same thing?

justeleblanc

#107 Post by justeleblanc » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:38 pm

Ovader wrote:I e-mailed Optimum to tell them of my disappointment with the Breathless DVD and still waiting for a response.
Just wait for the Criterion Breathless, my guess is it will make you happy.

foggy eyes

#108 Post by foggy eyes » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:54 am

Does anybody know what on earth has happened to Optimum's release of To's Election Vol. 2? There is some confusion about availablity from the usual online retailers, so one must assume that it has been indefinitely postponed.

This long-available Hong Kong release looks superb, mind. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#109 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:27 pm

foggy eyes wrote:Does anybody know what on earth has happened to Optimum's release of To's Election Vol. 2? There is some confusion about availablity from the usual online retailers, so one must assume that it has been indefinitely postponed.

This long-available Hong Kong release looks superb, mind. Any feedback would be much appreciated.
If you get the HK Special Edition, you will have to add your own thin DVD case -- as this is packaged only in a paper sleeve as part of the notebook that serves as the case (such as it is).

Joshua Dago

#110 Post by Joshua Dago » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:01 am

Optimum makes a real miss with these actor boxsets. it gives a huge overlap with a collection that is prominently focussed on director. thus i am not interested in those sets at all.

filmyfan

#111 Post by filmyfan » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:48 am

Does anyone know what extras are due to appear on the JLG Volume 2 collection ?

Ovader

#112 Post by Ovader » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:55 am

filmyfan wrote:Does anyone know what extras are due to appear on the JLG Volume 2 collection ?
Here

ellipsis7

#113 Post by ellipsis7 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:36 am

SENSO just arrived and on first spin looks quite nice, with a slight brown tint to the colour which seems authentic...

ellipsis7

#114 Post by ellipsis7 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:58 am

David - I'm really liking it, the heightened reality and operatic framing of the drama is really gorgeous, and yes the print has a slightly bleached look, but good grain.... Suggests that it may be close to a genuine transfer, but can't be absolutely certain as do not know the original Italian process...

It really is superb - a glorious and heartrending romance turning to tragedy painted against a broad and vivid historical canvas....

Person

#115 Post by Person » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:18 pm

DVD Maniacs review of SENSO with their standard tiny screen captures.

It looks quite nice. I'll rent it.

colinr0380

#116 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:25 pm

DVD Maniacs review of Inland Empire.

starmanof51

#117 Post by starmanof51 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:28 pm

davidhare wrote:
ellipsis7 wrote:SENSO just arrived and on first spin looks quite nice, with a slight brown tint to the colour which seems authentic...
I am DYING to hear what you think of this. I've held off ordering in the ludicrous hope that someone would come along with an IB (Techni Italia) print.) Sounds like nobody will.
You should read the customer reviews for it on amazon.co.uk. Pretty scathing, mostly on the subject of cuts.

rohmerin

Dino Risi on DVD

#118 Post by rohmerin » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:43 pm

After I Monstri and Il sorpasso, that were available in France, Studio Canal has edited Una vita difficile (the best film I've seen in years) and In nome del popolo italiano.

reviews: Una vita difficile / In nome del popolo italiano

Person

#119 Post by Person » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:02 pm

I'd love to see Criterion or MoC release one of Risi's films. Una vita difficile is a film that I have wanted to see for a long time.

pro-bassoonist

#120 Post by pro-bassoonist » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:59 am

I highly recommend the Sony-Italia release of Le Bambole...a true miracle it came out English-friendly.

Ciao,
Pro-B

Scharphedin2

#121 Post by Scharphedin2 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:03 pm

Optimum has just recently released another group of Western Classics in the UK. There is Tourneur's Canyon Passage and Nicholas Ray's True Story of Jesse James, both of which have also recently been released in R1. Then there is Peckinpah's Deadly Companions, which I know has seen release before, but frankly forget where and when. And, finally, there is Budd Boetticher's Seminole. It is not one of the famously missing-on-DVD titles by Boetticher, but the synopsis does not sound half bad, and it stars both Rock and Quinn.

reaky

#122 Post by reaky » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:25 pm

Optimum will be releasing Godard's ALPHAVILLE as a stand-alone disc on January 7th. Presumably this will be the disc from their Jean-Luc Godard Volume One set, which is a good thing, as it had a fine transfer, a Colin McCabe introduction and a documentary: Alphaville, Peripheriques. So until Criterion revisit it...

starmanof51

#123 Post by starmanof51 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:54 pm

Narshty wrote:The Tales of Hoffmann is also coming out on September 3rd, says the nice customer services lady at Optimum.
Apparently it's out. So, has anybody gotten a look at this? It would be nice to know if the colors came out any different than the Criterion, given the firm points on the subject David Hare made regarding the Criterion.

ellipsis7

#124 Post by ellipsis7 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:43 am

From Optimum, early 2008...

MADE IN USA/GODARD - 07 Jan

L'AMORE IN CITTA/ANTONIONI, FELLINI et al - 18 Feb

ERA NOTTE A ROMA/ROSSELLINI - 18 Feb
Stylistically an intriguing (and not wholly successful) mixture of Rossellini's early 'realism', Bergman-period melodrama, and the contemplative didacticism of his later films, this return to the milieu of Nazi-occupied Rome may not have the raw power of Rome, Open City, but is immensely affecting all the same. Three escaped Allied PoWs - a Brit, an American and a Russian - take refuge in the home of Roman black marketeer Ralli, whose Communist lover (Salvatori) is executed when they are betrayed by a corrupt, Nazi-collaborator priest. On one level, it's a fairly straightforward suspense movie, detailing the countless threats to the safety of the fugitives and the woman who provides sanctuary; on another, it's an unsentimental, Paisà-like celebration of the shared humanity that allows the various characters to communicate with one another despite linguistic differences and the wariness born of perilous circumstance. An uneven, flawed, but very intelligent work of enormous humanity. Geoff Andrew/Time Out

Gropius

#125 Post by Gropius » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:03 pm

I had a chance to see Era notte a Roma earlier this year, and personally think it's better than Geoff Andrew's review makes out. Some interesting use of space: much of the film takes place in a concealed attic, and the ethnic stereotypes of the main characters (including the stiff-upper-lip Brit) are amusing without being ridiculous. Hints of Michael Powell, actually.