All Day Entertainment

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
gelich

Re: All Day Entertainment

#26 Post by gelich » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:38 am

Jonathan S wrote: to put this on a temporary hiatus.
Thank you. That is good news.

mario gauci

#27 Post by mario gauci » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:11 am

domino harvey wrote:Two of the best All Day Entertainment DVDs are now out of print, the 1000 Eyes of Dr Mabuse and Christ in Concrete! ](*,)
Yipes :shock:! I snagged CHRIST IN CONCRETE (1949) just in time, then :D! I also picked up Chabrol's THE CRY OF THE OWL (1987) but have yet to watch either of them.

Being a fan of the original Silent MABUSE films, I purchased the two MABUSE discs released by All Day very early on in my DVD collecting days but I kept postponing CHRIST over and over and, in fact, nearly fainted when Amazon recently told me that they will be advising me when they manage to get hold of a copy fo me...even though their website stated that they still had "1 copy left in Stock"!

I concur with the praises being heaped on David Kalat's commentaries. I had a lengthy e-mail correspondence with the guy over the original cut DVD of GANJA & HESS (1973) and he was really great to chat with - even telling me about his screenwriting stints, etc. It's nice to know that he is also a big fan of one of my all-time favorite films, LES YEUX SANS VISAGE (1959)...as is Herr Schreck =D>. It's a pity, however, that I don't like THE FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER (1928) more - after all, Luis Bunuel is my favorite director :)!

Scharphedin2

#28 Post by Scharphedin2 » Fri May 08, 2009 4:21 pm

(Cross-posted in VCI thread)

Here is a press release that I just received from VCI. Great news if they will also be the distributor of AllDay releases in the future, and very good news with respect to the long rumored Charley Chase collection:
VCI press release wrote:VCI to release "BECOMING CHARLEY CHASE"
VCI signs distribution deal with All Day Entertainment

VCI Entertainment's president, Robert A. Blair, announced today they had reached a deal with indie DVD producer All Day Entertainment to distribute their latest project - "BECOMING CHARLEY CHASE". Name a comedian in the first part of the 20th century--Charley Chase worked with them, either on or off screen. He was a brilliant comedy writer, film director, and a major movie star. Almost single-handedly, he transformed the world of screen comedy from chaotic slapstick violence into a newly sophisticated comedy of manners, and laid the groundwork for the modern sitcom. He was the world's biggest skinny man--and this is where his legend begins. This deluxe 4 disc collection provides a comprehensive look at Charley Chase's early years, from his days as a budding talent at Mack Sennett's Keystone Studios to becoming one of Hollywood's most in-demand comedy directors to his breakthrough as one of the top box office draws of the 1920s. Over 40 rare comedy shorts from 1915-1925 and surviving extracts of "lost" films digitally restored from materials provided by private collectors and major institutions from around the world! Featuring new music by the Snark Ensemble, Ben Model, the Redwine Jazz Band, and the West End Jazz Band!

Included in the deluxe 4 disc collection:
Over 40 rare comedy shorts from 1915-1925
Featuring new music by the Snark Ensemble, Ben Model, the Redwine Jazz Band, and the West End Jazz Band! Additional content:
- Audio commentaries by noted film historians
- THE PARROTT CHASE 45 minute restrospective on the life and career of Charley Chase
- THE SOUNDS OF SILENCE Behind the scenes with the Snark Ensemble on the making of the music for this set
- Archival interview with Charley Chase's daughter June
- Collectible CineNotes booklet
460 mins · 4 disc set · 1915-1925 · B&W · silent

Pre-Order Date: 7/07/2009 - Street Date: 7/28/2009
SRP: 39.99

All Day Entertainment is an independent DVD label begun in 1997 with the express mission of rescuing movies that fell through the cracks. Curated by film historian David Kalat, the All Day collection seeks out motion pictures whose artistic value, historic importance, and all-around entertainment merits a second chance in the commercial marketplace. For more information about All Day Entertainment visit, http://www.alldayentertainment.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Thank you,

Christopher Rowe
PR Director for VCI

unclehulot

#29 Post by unclehulot » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:21 am

Suddenly, Becoming Charley Chase is due out next week! Here's a (rather poor) review.

If the price at Deepdiscountdvd holds ($21.76) until release day, it can be coupled with the 25% sale (no pre-orders, right?), which is a steal of a deal!

Tribe
The Bastard Spawn of Hank Williams

#30 Post by Tribe » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:26 pm

Took advantage of a nice sale over at All Day Entertainment to pick up Epstein's Fall of the House of Usher. I was also pleasantly surprised to see The Sadist was going for $5, so I picked that up as well. In addition, just based on the blurbs, I also ordered Scott King's Treasure Island, which I had never heard of. After doing some Googling, it sounds damn interesting. Anyone else familiar with Treasure Island?

matrixschmatrix

#31 Post by matrixschmatrix » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:29 pm

Since it looks like nobody has actually commented on the Charley Chase set- I'd recommend it, with reservations. The picture quality is at times oppressively bad, and not all of the shorts are actually funny, but as an introduction to a figure with whom I wasn't previously familiar it was pretty solid.

I guess a lot of the really famous Charley Chase stuff isn't on there- not that I'd know what was famous and what was unknown, really- but once I got on to the second disc, some of the shorts were pretty damn funny and visually clean enough that I could watch them without being distracted the whole time. Moreover, the way they're presented gives you a solid idea of what being sort of a normal silent comedian was like- watching Keaton, Lloyd, or Chaplin, I forget that these guys were superstars, and it's interesting to see someone who was at least in the same broad league talent-wise but without the same kind of hooky persona, or the same financial or studio backing.

As far as the extras go, it's nice to have commentaries on everything, but the Kalat commentaries were, as you'd expect, considerably stronger than the other ones. They were one of the major reasons I bought the set, and I was fairly satisfied as far as they went- he seemed to be working more off the cuff and informal than usual, and the recording software he used was a little shakey, but they're still an entertaining listen in their own right and give a lot of interesting background. He does talk quite a lot about the production of the DVDs, but I found that interesting- I can imagine that others might not.

I got mine on amazon through silentlyspeaking, which I guess means it was a direct sale from one of the musicians on the set, which was kind of neat, and it was $24 shipped, which for a four disc set I was happy to pay. I'd strongly recommend it at that price, at least to anyone who was leaning towards it at all in the first place.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#32 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:04 pm

Tribe wrote:Anyone else familiar with Treasure Island?
I watched the DVD and it reminded me of a cross between Swoon/Poison style investigation coupled with a very dark and cynical sort of the revisionary history that Mad Men does. I think it caught the hardboiled parody of the '40s pretty well. Haven't sampled the extras, but the book design is clever.

Feego

#33 Post by Feego » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:36 pm

Wow! I've been wanting to pick up Fall of the House of Usher and The Sadist for a while, and those prices are phenomenal. I actually have the Raunchy Tonk edition of The Sadist, presented by Johnny Legend, which features an anamorphic transfer (but maybe the wrong aspect ratio?), a delightfully low-quality video interview with Arch Hall Jr., and best of all, a compilation of all of his musical numbers. But I'm keen to hear the Zsigmond commentary on the All Day edition, and for $5, I'm there!

Tribe
The Bastard Spawn of Hank Williams

#34 Post by Tribe » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:39 pm

Here's the link to the sale. If I recall correctly, those crazy $5 prices include shipping and handling and arrive insanely quick.

matrixschmatrix

#35 Post by matrixschmatrix » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:45 pm

Shipping is on top of that- it's $5.50 flat for at least the first three items, I don't know if it's more after that.

Feego

#36 Post by Feego » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:42 pm

Tribe was right about those movies arriving quickly. I ordered Fall of the House of Usher and The Sadist on Thursday and they arrived today!

matrixschmatrix

#37 Post by matrixschmatrix » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:09 pm

All Day's titles soon to be out of print
Speaking of sales--I'm just 3 months away from most of my stuff passing out of license and vanishing into the ether of "Out Of Print." All those titles you see on my Catalog page listed for $5? They've got just 3 months left this side of oblivion. So hurry up, y'all--stock up! When they go into OOP Oblivion, you can repost them on ebay or something for, like, $300 each.

oldsheperd

#38 Post by oldsheperd » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:51 am

Good timing for me I guess. Picked up the Charley Chase, Harry Langdon both American Slapsticks and Fall of the House of Usher.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#39 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:03 am

Partly because of the OOP announcement, I finally watched Ganja and Hess. It was a first viewing so there was great confusion at first, but the film steadily worked its art on me. The mix of blaxploitation, religion (much reference to John 6:53-4), and surrealism proved quite heady. Kalat connects the film to Dreyer's Vampyr in terms of dream logic and atmosphere - which helped me greatly to appreciate the film better - but I see it as kin to Romero's Martin as well. Gunn's film is crazier and slippier than the Romero, of course. All in all, I found it fascinating and would encourage anyone interested to buy a copy. I obtained a copy through Netflix, but I'll soon have this in my collection.