Facets

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
MichaelB

Re: Facets

#376 Post by MichaelB » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:07 am

aox wrote:Is there any reason why Tarr's The Werckmeister Harmonies is out of print, but not his other films? Is it being rereleased? Is this a fluke? Is someone else picking it up (CC release would be a dream come true for me)?
What's wrong with the Artificial Eye version?

aox

#377 Post by aox » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:29 am

MichaelB wrote:
aox wrote:Is there any reason why Tarr's The Werckmeister Harmonies is out of print, but not his other films? Is it being rereleased? Is this a fluke? Is someone else picking it up (CC release would be a dream come true for me)?
What's wrong with the Artificial Eye version?
Nothing, and according to the screen shots, it is preferable. I am just inquiring.

What A Disgrace

#378 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:55 am

I believe the Artificial Eye version is still non-anamorphic. Bring on the 16x9 Criterion Blu-ray.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#379 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:32 pm

One more reason to hate Facets: after purchasing their port of the Blaq Out disc of Les trois couronnes du matelot six years ago from DD, I was stunned to unwrap it and discover it was a fucking DVD-R

pistolwink

#380 Post by pistolwink » Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:28 am

Does anyone have any idea how this place stays in business and what it does these days? They certainly don't seem to release videos anymore, as witness the nearly complete absence of discussion on this thread since the early Obama years(!). For a long time the video-rental memberships kept the theater afloat, but I can't imagine that's been true for many years. I can't tell if they still do mail-order rentals or just local.

I checked their calendar and they seem to be mostly doing second-run films (including some Oscar nominees) and various "cult" items, a far cry from the days when they would have retrospectives of contemporary Eastern and Central European filmmakers, revivals of obscure French films of the 1940s, etc. Their founder, Milos Stehlik, died a number of years ago, but their programmer, Charles Coleman, has been there for decades. Even in their glory days Facets was always a shoestring operation and notably dysfunctional, so I'm always astonished that they have survived, somehow.

Boosmahn

#381 Post by Boosmahn » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:30 am

I've lived a stone's throw away from them for over a year now and have only gone a couple of times, though I'm planning to try their rental service out, which I believe does take mail orders. They have some rare films I can't find anywhere else (officially).

Mid-January, I saw Anatomy of a Fall there, and the theater was almost full. They screened Night of the Comet with a virtual Q&A in October 2022 and it was about half full, I think.

Their Anime Club seems to draw a crowd, and I'm sure CICFF also gives them some exposure. I remember one of their Halloween vendor pop-ups being quite busy as well. I wouldn't be surprised if they're only just making it by, though.

MichaelB

Facets

#382 Post by MichaelB » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:06 am

Only one of my Facets discs - And Give My Love to the Swallows - hasn’t been superseded by something unrecognisably better. And I have a fair number, dating from that time two decades ago when it was either Facets or nothing.

zedz

#383 Post by zedz » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:36 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:06 am
Only one of my Facets discs - And Give My Love to the Swallows - hasn’t been superseded by something unrecognisably better. And I have a fair number, dating from that time two decades ago when it was either Facets or nothing.
Is there a better version of The End of August at the Hotel Ozone somewhere?

TechnicolorAcid

#384 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:04 pm

If only…