PWA: Polskie Wydawnictwo Audiowizualne

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
NABOB OF NOWHERE

Re: PWA: Polskie Wydawnictwo Audiowizualne

#276 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:53 pm

About time too!!! I have been championing Bogdan for some time and it's wonderful to see him given the recognition he deserves. Fantastic news.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#277 Post by swo17 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:05 pm

Great news! Of the ones I've seen, Hockey, Franz Klammer, and Stories About a Man are all superb.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#278 Post by swo17 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:07 pm

The złoty appears to be pretty weak right now--I could order this set now shipped to the U.S. for under $20! Does anyone particularly recommend any of the other more recent documentary sets? (I've seen everything through the Black Series.)

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#279 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:03 pm

swo17 wrote:Great news! Of the ones I've seen, Hockey, Franz Klammer, and Stories About a Man are all superb.
My favourite is perhaps Szapito which is less quirky than his usual stuff and more wistful but a beautiful portrait of the Circus school on the outskirts of Warsaw.

zedz

#280 Post by zedz » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:10 pm

Some other interesting recent releases from NiNA include a 'reconstructed' The Dead Class by Andrzej Wajda and a film whose google-translated synopsis begins "Biographical documentary about the world, which no longer exists." You read it here first!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#281 Post by swo17 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:13 pm

This explains a lot.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#282 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:38 am

zedz wrote:Some other interesting recent releases from NiNA include a 'reconstructed' The Dead Class by Andrzej Wajda and a film whose google-translated synopsis begins "Biographical documentary about the world, which no longer exists." You read it here first!
Sounds very post-Brexit

zedz

#283 Post by zedz » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:52 pm

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:About time too!!! I have been championing Bogdan for some time and it's wonderful to see him given the recognition he deserves. Fantastic news.
I finished the Dziworski set on the weekend and loved it. Like Wisniewski, he's a highly original master who's been overlooked because he happened to be working in a weird little corner of the film industry. I wasn't as keen on the more overtly florid and Felliniesque later works on disc 2 (though they arguably make a more straightforward claim for his individuality), but those almost abstract earlier sports films are masterpieces. Dziworski finds startling new ways of filming familiar activities, and presents them with avant-garde, musical editing and radical sound design that regularly reduces a cacophony of sound to small, isolated elements - the chaotic roar of a stadium crowd fades to nothing so we can hear the scrape and clunk of a dropped glove; the soundtrack is limited to the grunts and pants of cross-country skiers; when the framing of a shot means we can only see one member of a crowd applaud, that's all we hear - kind of like an aural rack focus.

Classic Biathlon was my favourite of the shorts, as it went the furthest into abstraction, with every juxtaposition of image and sound, image and image, or sound and sound, aesthetically charged. If we get around to doing another 70s list, this will surely figure on mine.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#284 Post by swo17 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:50 pm

Where did you get it? I placed an order when it was first announced, but it doesn't appear that it ever went through.

zedz

#285 Post by zedz » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:02 pm

swo17 wrote:Where did you get it? I placed an order when it was first announced, but it doesn't appear that it ever went through.
Direct from NiNA, along with the second most recent documentary set (Titkow?), the Wajda and a couple of other things. I received them all months ago but it took a while to get to them.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#286 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:09 am

I also got the last two direct from NiNa and received them within the week.

MichaelB

PWA: Polskie Wydawnictwo Audiowizualne

#287 Post by MichaelB » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:32 am

Same here - other Polish online retailers don't seem to stock NiNA stuff reliably any more.

Although I have a fairly major geographical advantage over Zedz, and I suspect there's lots of postal traffic between Poland and the UK generally.

MichaelB

#288 Post by MichaelB » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:30 am

I posted this in the dedicated Kieślowski thread rather than here, as it's not a PWA/NiNA release, but fans of their documentary output will most likely be very tempted by this new(ish) set of Kieślowski documentaries - not least because although there's a hefty overlap with the old PWA set, they all appear to be recent restorations, and there are some major rarities included as well (Workers 1971, Before the Rally, I Don't Know).

alfons416

#289 Post by alfons416 » Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:16 pm

Hi, sorry for resurrecting this old thread but i started watching some of my old boxsets today, and i've been under the impression that i had all the PWA/NiNA boxsets, but reading here I see i don't. being a bit of a completist i'd like to change that. What am i missing if i own:

Polska Szkola Dokumentu. Krzysztof Kieslowski
Polska Szkola Dokumentu. Kazimierz Karabasz
Polska Szkola Dokumentu. Marcel Lozinski
Polska Szkola Dokumentu. Maciej J. Drygas
Polska Szkola Dokumentu. Andrzej Munk
Polska Szkola Dokumentu. Wojciech Wieszniewski
Polska Szkola Dokumentu. Marek Piwowski
Polska Szkola Dokumentu. Gryczelowska / Halladin / Kamienska
Polska Szkola Dokumentu. Maria Zmarz-Koczanowicz
Polska Szkola Dokumentu. Jacek Blawut
Polska Szkola Dokumentu. Pawel Lozinski
Polska Szkola Dokumentu. Wladyslaw Slesicki
Polska Szkola Dokumentu. Marcin Koszalka
Polska Szkola Dokumentu. Andrzej Titkow
Polska Szkola Dokumentu. Czarna Seria
Antologia Polskiej Animacji
Antologia Polskiej Animacji dla dzieci
Antologia Polskiej Animacji Eksperymentalnej
Daniel Szczechura
Action Animation

Is it only Bogdan Dziworski or am i missing anything more? anyone know if there is any place i'm still able to pick up that one and other ones i'm potentially missing?

MichaelB

#290 Post by MichaelB » Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:39 pm

Off the top of my head, I think it was sixteen documentary sets and five animation ones, so you are indeed missing only Bogdan Dziworski. Sadly, they seem to have given up on physical media altogether, and their streaming films are often unsubtitled.

As for getting hold of it, it's officially OOP, so I suspect we're in eBay territory.