Dragon Dynasty

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
kaujot

Re: Dragon Dynasty

#51 Post by kaujot » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:48 pm

Missed that on their site, I guess. I just saw a "coming soon" bit of text.

Still don't believe it.

Finch

#52 Post by Finch » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:08 pm

Eight Diagram Pole Fighter is listed on HKflix and AxelMusic as a DVD only release though they differ on the release dates: HKfilm says 13 July, AM 7 Sept.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#53 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:45 am

I've only seen clips of these one online, but it looks like an other very solid and very great Shaw Brothers release. Features the always amazing Gordon Liu and features the man with the nicest hair in all of ancient China, Alexander Fu Sheng. Great news!

Finch

#54 Post by Finch » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:53 am

There are rumours on their FB page that they are also prepping Crippled Avengers under its US title Return of the 5 Deadly Venoms. Return of the One-Armed Swordsman is scheduled for release in July/August/September as well.

masterofoneinchpunch

#55 Post by masterofoneinchpunch » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:48 pm

Mr Finch wrote:There are rumours on their FB page that they are also prepping Crippled Avengers under its US title Return of the 5 Deadly Venoms. Return of the One-Armed Swordsman is scheduled for release in July/August/September as well.
The upcoming release schedule for DD Shaw's are:

June 29, 2010: Return of the One-Armed Swordsman (DD ?)
Aug. 17, 2010: Return of 5 Deadly Venoms (DD ?)
Sept. 7, 2010: 8 Diagram Pole Fighter (DD ?)

Unlike some of the other R1 SB releases (aka MB) these have been coming out on time. If you are interested I have a listing of all the R1 releases for the Shaw Brothers films.

whaleallright

#56 Post by whaleallright » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:25 pm

Yes, please do post that!

masterofoneinchpunch

#57 Post by masterofoneinchpunch » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:45 pm

jonah.77 wrote:Yes, please do post that!
I keep track of all R1 releases at two different locations: here and here (they are the same information).

The Dragon Dynasty releases have been pretty good (with mistakes here and there), though they have been very slow with releasing. They have the rights to tons of HK films (and not just Shaw Brothers). Now some of the releases like The Killer for BD have been 1080i so that has upset a lot of people who are fans of these films. I really wish Criterion had the rights to The Killer as well as Hard Boiled (heck I would be happy if Criterion put out any new HK films; hopefully a Johnnie To release).

FYI: Best Buy has several exclusive Dragon Dynasty BD releases like Kill Zone (aka SPL) and An Empress and the Warriors (not that good of a film :D).

Finch

#58 Post by Finch » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:06 pm

Crippled Avengers DVD reviewed at DVDTalk
Dragon Dynasty presents The Return Of The 5 Deadly Venoms in a good 2.35.1 anamorphic widescreen progressive scan transfer that looks very nice indeed. There's a little bit of natural looking film grain in some spots, though other spots show what looks like some minor digital scrubbing which results in some moderately waxy looking skin tones in spots. There isn't any serious print damage worth noting, however, and the color reproduction looks very strong. Black levels are consistent and deep enough and shadow detail remains decent throughout. There's some minor aliasing in some spots but not noticeable compression artifacts. All in all, they've done a very nice job here and the movie looks good.

masterofoneinchpunch

#59 Post by masterofoneinchpunch » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:53 pm

^ The subtitles are dubtitles though. The movie does look good. Not quite true about all the "Venoms" principal players being back -- this would be the first film without Wei Pai (the snake from 5 Deadly Venoms; though technically some definitions of "Venoms" do not have to have him included). If you like this film check out the recent R1 Funimation release of Invincible Shaolin which is another Chang Cheh "Venoms" film that is extraordinarily good for for fans of kung fu and/or Shaw Brothers.

Nobby

#60 Post by Nobby » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:38 am

There are 2 new titles among Dragon Dynasty's November and December releases - both from director Liu Chia Liang - Shaolin Mantis (aka Deadly Mantis) and Disciples of 36th Chamber (aka Master Killer III) - the latter with Bey Logan's audio commentary :D