Carlotta: Fellini's Casanova

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Lino

#26 Post by Lino » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:25 pm

Here are some screengrabs from the german edition

Lino

#27 Post by Lino » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:03 am

A rare treat: an extract from one of the notorious deleted scenes of Fellini Casanova. This one is for the gay encounter with the arab prince. Very, very rare!

Gordon

#28 Post by Gordon » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:06 pm

Interesting. Where the hell did the guy find it, though?

Dylan

#29 Post by Dylan » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:37 am

There is a documentary on Casanova himself that apparently featured this clip and the Chesty Morgan footage. This clip is also featured in "Fellini: I'm a Born Liar."

Lino

#30 Post by Lino » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:41 am

Dylan wrote:...the Chesty Morgan footage...
And here it is.

BTW, Dylan, could you make a visual comparison between your TV recorded Casanova version and the DVD and then post it here, please? It would be interesting to see the differences.

Dylan

#31 Post by Dylan » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:02 am

Well, unlike the "1900" comparison, that is impossible. I don't have the means to capture from VHS (which is actually currently not in my disposal, as it is with a friend cross country), and I sold my French DVD of Casanova long ago. I'm waiting for a definitive DVD, which hasn't surfaced, and until then the Sundance print will hold me over.

Hopefully in 2007 a R1 with an entirely new transfer supervised by Giuseppe Rotunno will surface. It happened this year with Storaro's supervised DVD transfer of "1900," so lets hope that Universal gets Rotunno in the labs to preserve his intended look for "Casanova." Although it seems unlikely, if Criterion can get in on this to really shake things up, that would be excellent, as their DVD of "The Leopard" is absolutely stunning (but that was Fox, more willing than Universal to license their titles, obviously).

Cross your fingers.