Cult Epics

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
pointless

Nekromantik (1987)

#51 Post by pointless » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:21 pm

From Blu-ray.com:
Independent U.S. distributors Cult Epics have detailed their upcoming Blu-ray release of director Jörg Buttgereit's controversial horror film Nekromantik (1987). The release will be available for purchase on October 7th.

Cult Epics is proud to release Jorg Buttgereit's horror classic in High Definition and with new extras, including Jorg's debut short film Hot Love.

Limited edition of 2000 copies.

Special Features:
  • New Director's Approved HD Transfer (taken from the original Super 8mm negative)
    New Grindhouse HD Version (taken from the theatrical 35mm print)
    Introduction By Jorg Buttgereit
    Q&A With Jorg Buttgereit At The American Cinematheque (2013)
    Never Released Before Short Film - Hot Love (1985) 45 Minutes
    Audio Commentary By Jorg Buttgereit And Co-author Franz Rodenkirchen
    The Making Of Nekromantik
    Nekromantik Featurette
    Still Photo Gallery
    JB Trailers

EddieLarkin

Re: Nekromantik (1987)

#52 Post by EddieLarkin » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:03 pm

New Director's Approved HD Transfer (taken from the original Super 8mm negative)
New Grindhouse HD Version (taken from the theatrical 35mm print)
Interesting. I wonder if the Arrow will have two versions as well. Any ideas as to why this is even necessary?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: Cult Epics

#53 Post by tenia » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:09 am

I guess the 8mm one is the original cut but in a lesser quality.

Anthony Thorne

#54 Post by Anthony Thorne » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:24 am

Since the film was originally shot on Super 8, the exact opposite should be the case.

Cold Bishop

#55 Post by Cold Bishop » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:53 am

Yeah, I'm guessing "grindhouse" here means it's supposed to look awful.

MichaelB

#56 Post by MichaelB » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:45 am

Cold Bishop wrote:Yeah, I'm guessing "grindhouse" here means it's supposed to look awful.
My understanding with regard to the Arrow release - so I assume this applies to the Cult Epics one too - is that Jörg Buttgereit is deliberately not cleaning it up too much, as the rough and grimy look was very much part of the original aesthetic.

EddieLarkin

#57 Post by EddieLarkin » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:05 am

And is it the case then that the Super 8 version won't be cleaned up too much either? Or is the inclusion of the 35mm blow up version necessary because the Super 8 version looks *too* good, and so they've included a more faithful version by going back to a beat up 35mm print? That's the only reason I can think of to include 2 versions.

MichaelB

#58 Post by MichaelB » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:19 am

Absolutely no idea - you'll have to ask Cult Epics.

Raymond Marble

Re: Nekromantik (1987)

#59 Post by Raymond Marble » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:08 am

pointless wrote:From Blu-ray.com:
Independent U.S. distributors Cult Epics have detailed their upcoming Blu-ray release of director Jörg Buttgereit's controversial horror film Nekromantik (1987). The release will be available for purchase on October 7th.

Cult Epics is proud to release Jorg Buttgereit's horror classic in High Definition and with new extras, including Jorg's debut short film Hot Love.

Limited edition of 2000 copies.
My copy of this came today, and there's a sticker on the front that says it's a limited edition of 10,000 copies, not 2000. Seems like an awfully big number for a film like Nekromantik...

Ashirg

#60 Post by Ashirg » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:52 pm

Cult Epics is releasing Alberto Lattuada's Stay As You Are (Così come sei) on DVD and blu on May 12

Ashirg

#61 Post by Ashirg » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:42 pm

Der Todesking on DVD and blu-ray on June 9
New Director's Approved HD transfer (taken from the original 16mm negative)
New Introduction by Jorg Buttgereit (2015)
Audio Commentary by Jorg Buttgereit and co-author Franz Rodenkirchen
The Making of Der Todesking
Still Photo Gallery
JB HD Trailers
Corpse F##king Art (Documentary) 1983, 60 Minutes, HD transfer
Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
The first 3000 Blu-ray copies include Collectible Artwork
25th Anniversary (Silver embossed) Slipcover and Corpse F##king Art Postcard

Ashirg

#62 Post by Ashirg » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:11 am

April 12 release dates -

New Director's Approved HD Transfer (taken from the original 16mm negative)
Exclusive Introduction by Jorg Buttgereit
Audio Commentary by Jorg Buttgereit and writer Franz Rodenkirchen
Audio Commentary 2 by Actors Florian Koemer von Gustorf and Monika M.
The Making of Schramm
Still Photo Gallery
JB HD Trailers
Short film: Horror Heaven HD with optional Audio Commentary by Jorg Buttgereit
Short film: Blutige Exzesse im Fuhrerbunker (Bloody Excess in the Leaders Bunker) HD
Short film: Mein Papi (My Father)
Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
New DTS-HD MA 5.1 Surround
Collectible new Blu-ray Artwork
Image Image Image
Cult Epics presents Sex Murder Art: The Films of Jorg Buttgereit, a collection of his four horror underground films; the necrophilia classics Nekromantik & Nekromantik 2, the death and suicide anthology Der Todesking (The Death King) and the premiere of the serial killer film Schramm on Blu-ray. Includes exclusive Soundtrack CD's of the films and a 40-page booklet containing interviews and photos with Jorg Buttgereit and collaborators. Fully Uncut & Uncensored versions.

Special Features:
New Director's Approved HD Transfers
Two versions of Nekromantik
Exclusive Introductions for each film by Jorg Buttgreit
Q&A with Jorg Buttgereit
Audio Commentaries
The Making Ofs
Featurettes
Still Photo Galleries
Jorg Buttgereit Trailers
Documentary: Corpse F*****g Art
Short films: Hot Love, A Moment of Silence at the Grave of Ed Gein, Horror Heaven, Bloody Excess in the Leaders Bunker, My Father
Music Video: Half Girl by Jorg Buttgereit
Original Motion Picture Soundtracks
Live Concert of Nekromantik 2
BD Exclusive new art design by Silver Ferox
Exclusive CD Soundtrack of Nekromantik & Nekromantik 2
Exclusive CD 2 Soundtrack of Der Todesking & Schramm
BD Exclusive 40-page perfect-bind booklet with Interviews & exclusive photos

rockysds

#63 Post by rockysds » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:52 am

Cult Epics have set up a Indiegogo centered around five titles:
Marco Ferreri's The Flesh, Nico B's 100 Girls by Bunny Yeager, Carl Andersen's Mondo Weirdo/Vampiros Sexos, Pim de La Parra's Obsessions, and Agusti Villaronga's Moon Child and supporting their future schedule more generally.

AlexHansen

#64 Post by AlexHansen » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:13 pm

Anyone else try to watch their Death Laid an Egg blu? I had to stop after about 15 minutes. Between that and the lackluster book, which is more of a glorified CE catalogue, it’s safe to say this was the worst crowdfunder I’ve contributed to (having successfully avoided the Manos incident).

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#65 Post by tenia » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:24 pm

The US BD from Cult Epics is indeed a tremendous technical misfire and has been generally panned for these reasons. You're not alone there.

Slaphappy

#66 Post by Slaphappy » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:55 am

I really liked the first two thirds of Augusti Villaroga's Moon Child. Very tasteful production design and cinematography for a Suspiriaesque horror movie. Humor and absurdity were added in right doses. Story didn't have much to do with Aleisteir Crowley's book and it's post-WW1 esoteric scene seems to be more influenced by Rudolf Steiner and anthroposophy. Dead Can Dance soundtrack was a bit underwhelming mostly, but Lisa Gerrard gave amateurishly fresh performance. Last third was not terrible but didn't really work that well either.

Villaroga's 15 minutes interview on Cult Epics release was pretty meh as the director didn't talk much English and it seemed like the interviewer had not done his homework about the movie.

L.A.

#67 Post by L.A. » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:18 pm

Calvin

#68 Post by Calvin » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:14 am

Mondo Digital review of the new Blu-Ray releases of Nouchka van Brakel's The Debut and A Woman Like Eve. Cult Epics are also releasing van Brakel's The Cool Lakes of Death next month

From the acclaimed novel by Frederik van Eeden, The Cool Lakes of Death (Van de Koele Meren des Doods) is the magnum opus from pioneering feminist filmmaker Nouchka van Brakel. A celebrated Dutch masterpiece, The Cool Lakes of Death is a historic melodrama featuring an outstanding performance by Renée Soutendijk (The 4th Man) as Hedwig, a wealthy woman who falls victim to a loveless marriage and the loss of her lover (Derek de Lint) and child that leads to mental illness, prostitution and addiction – before finding possible redemption. A box-office smash upon its release in 1982, The Cool Lakes of Death remains one of the greatest Dutch drama films in history and was subsequently the Dutch entry for ‘Best Foreign Language Film’ at the Academy Awards.

Cult Epics presents Nouchka van Brakel’s The Cool Lakes of Death for the first time in North America on Blu-ray & DVD in a newly restored High-definition 4K transfer and with new bonus features.

Cult Epics website Exclusive: First 100 Pre-orders of Blu-ray or DVD receive 4-Page Repro English Promotional brochure.

Special Features

New 4K HD Transfer (from original negative) & Restoration
Polygoon Journal Newsreel (1982, HD)
Poster & Photo Gallery
Theatrical Trailers
Ltd. Edition Packaging featuring Original & Newly Designed Art

Technical Specs
Netherlands / 1982 / Color / 125 Mins / Aspect Ratio 1.66:1 / Dutch with optional English Subtitles

L.A.

#69 Post by L.A. » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:55 am

99.9 (Agustí Villaronga, 1997) confirmed as upcoming.

Adam X

#70 Post by Adam X » Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:26 pm

That’s great news. I’ve only seen Villaronga’s first two films, so glad to see Cult Epics slowly working their way through his filmmography.

colinr0380

#71 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:50 pm

I have wanted to see 99.9 ever since a write up in Shivers horror magazine back in 1997 (I think around the same time that they highlighted the original Funny Games) of this as the most extreme film that was playing the festival circuit at the time. The details of the review are a little bit fuzzy at the moment but I seem to recall the description of it as a 'mother/daughter incest ghost story' that at one point apparently involves
SpoilerShow
someone taking a bath in seminal juices.
So it potentially could fit in with the current Portrait of A Lady On Fire/Ammonite trend!

EDIT: Ah, I found the mention of 99.9 from issue #48 of Shivers from December 1997 (page 37), which comes from Alan Jones' report from the 1997 Sitges Film Festival, which was rather lukewarm on the film:
Alan Jones wrote:One of the most highly anticipated movies of the entire festival received its world premiere next. Director Augusti Villaronga had traumatised/disgusted/shocked/offended audiences (delete where applicable) with his mesmerising Tras El Cristal / In A Glass Cage in 1986. What would the Mallorcan director responsible for that horrific exploration into homosexual Nazi sadism offer up now? The answer was 99.9 starring Maria Barranco as Lara, the presenter of a radio show about paranormal phenomena. Investigating the suspicious death of a child she uncovers a dark world of closeted homosexuality, supernatural beings in the walls of a dilapidated country house and a fiercely protective mother and daughter who commit incestuous acts of depravity and sacrificial murder to ensure the poltergeists remain close by.

From that description 99.9 sounds wonderfully cutting edge and disturbing and, up to a point, it is. But after the brilliant opening where nude Gustavo Slameron is chased by spirits through a cemetery and ends up viciously impaled on spikes, it marks time alarmingly and only offers fleeting glimpses of the awesome talent the director previously showed in Tras El Cristal, Child of the Moon and Clandestine Journey. The climax in which
SpoilerShow
Terele Pavez and Ruth Gabriel bathe in each other's vaginal fluids to cement their relationship with the "Wall Faces"
seemed more like a desperate attempt to stir controversy than drive the film to a satisfying conclusion. Tras El Cristal fans will not want to miss it though and we have already selected this beautifully photographed Spanish entry for inclusion in Fantasm 1998.
Also interestingly in the same article Jones was quite dismissive of the first feature by José Luis Guerín (now probably best known for 2007's In The City of Sylvia), Tren de Sombras / Train of Shadows: "One of the worst movies I have sat through in my life... It purports to be a reflection on cinema as art, light, poetry and dreams. Alas, Guerín fakes footage with sepia washes and scratches, holds static shots of streets for five minutes, focuses on wallpaper as shadows move across it, and endlessly rewinds scenes to play them over and over again in mind-numbing close up or from different angles. I was bored rigid. I didn't think Guerín's patience-tester was Fantasy so much as a torture from some new Spanish Inquisition. Incredibly, two of the Jury loved it and my heart sank as I realised I had an enormous fight on my hands to stop it winning anything."

So that immediately adds Train of Shadows to my list of titles to track down, as it sounds right up my alley!

(If you want to know the titles that Alan Jones liked from the festival those were Nacho Cerda's astonishing short piece Aftermath (NSFW), Scott Reynolds' The Ugly and Lawn Dogs)
Last edited by colinr0380 on Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:53 pm, edited 10 times in total.

L.A.

#72 Post by L.A. » Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:20 pm

Maybe his dark and disturbing The Sea (2000) is coming too at some point?

Black Bread (2010) is also quite good.

colinr0380

#73 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:47 pm

I see that Villaronga has a new film out this year with The Belly of the Sea.

L.A.

#74 Post by L.A. » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:46 am

L.A. wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:55 am
Product details now listed.

L.A.

#75 Post by L.A. » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:56 pm

L.A. wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:55 am
Mondo Digital.