Media Blasters

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
dwk

Re: Media Blasters

#26 Post by dwk » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:43 am

Stuart, it doesn't sound harsh at all. Over the years Media Blasters have shown themselves to be incompetent and/or shady. It is a shame too, because they have/had the rights to a lot of great stuff.

manicsounds

#27 Post by manicsounds » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:07 am

As much as they had 'good stuff' in their library, their BD releases especially have been one delay after another for no explained reasons. And do they look great? Not really...

They probably did invest too much money into these 2 Toho Godzilla releases, and now it may be all for naught. I wonder if their accountants were part of that laid off staff... Or if they had accountants at all in the first place.

Also, their February/March releases of "Bakuman" and "Ikki Tousen" DVDs are also on indefinite hold...

dwk

#28 Post by dwk » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:27 pm

Their Blu-rays have been sub-par (just like a lot of their DVDs). Hell, I think only one or two of their Blu-rays were actually HD and the rest were SD upconverted to 1080.

Stuart Galbraith IV

#29 Post by Stuart Galbraith IV » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:46 pm

Some interesting non-developments in the Media Blasters scandal: The discs’ project manager, Carl Morano, has repeatedly ignored voice mail messages and emails from both Steve Ryfle and myself. He’s basically hidden his head in the sand like an ostrich, popping his head out only occasionally to tell Steve that my wire/check will go out the following week – and then it never does… Over the weekend I ended up writing him a scathing email, indicating Steve and I now regard him as a habitual liar who cannot be trusted, whose word means nothing, and who personally damaged the company’s reputation on two continents and caused a lot of people to lose their jobs. THAT hurt his feelings, prompting a steady stream of how-dare-you-pick-on-li’l-‘ol-me emails. Carl can’t imagine why I’m sore (“you [must be] under other stress that is influencing your behavior”) and that “to believe that we are not going to pay you is delusional” even though they’ve given me not one good reason to believe they ever will. Instead, they’ve a) ignored all inquiries about my payment; b) lied about its progress for months; and c) made one unfulfilled promise after another. He should pay me with money out of his salary, if he’s so sure it’s coming.

Dr. Forrester

#30 Post by Dr. Forrester » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:40 pm

Stuart Galbraith IV wrote:Some interesting non-developments in the Media Blasters scandal
Appreciate the update, albeit deeply sad to hear. The Classic Media set has an honored place in my collection, and considering how much I enjoyed the DAM disc (particularly for the informative, fun track from you and Steven although I expected nothing less!), I was eagerly anticipating this release to replace a treasured, if worn, Good Times VHS of GvM. Now, I can honestly say that unless there's news you've been properly compensated for you work, even if the disc is released, it wouldn't be something I'd purchase.

manicsounds

#31 Post by manicsounds » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:47 pm

Dr. Forrester wrote:
Stuart Galbraith IV wrote:Some interesting non-developments in the Media Blasters scandal
considering how much I enjoyed the DAM disc (particularly for the informative, fun track from you and Steven although I expected nothing less!)
Well, Galbraith was not on that commentary track, so he didn't get paid for that one either...

Dr. Forrester

#32 Post by Dr. Forrester » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:25 am

manicsounds wrote:Well, Galbraith was not on that commentary track, so he didn't get paid for that one either...
Oops! You're more than right; that was Ed Godziszewski, whose work I've also really enjoyed.

Back to crossing my fingers everyone gets properly compensated and this disc gets a proper release.

J Wilson

#33 Post by J Wilson » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:25 pm

A friend of mine is good friends with someone who worked until recently at MB, and from what he was told, it sounds like it's only a matter of time before the company is dead, so I wouldn't be expecting any kind of release of anything from them. It's a pity, I was looking forward to Megalon, not to mention the people out of work and unpaid.

Dr. Forrester

#34 Post by Dr. Forrester » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:02 pm

Some good news, at least in regards to Galbraith and Ryfle being properly compensated for their work

Still, even if it's the last gasp of the company, I'll keep my fingers crossed for Megalon to be released

yoloswegmaster

#36 Post by yoloswegmaster » Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:08 am

Media Blasters will be releasing Takashi Miike's Fudoh: The New Generation, and there is a chance that it will be released on 4K.