Lionsgate: Drugstore Cowboy

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
pro-bassoonist

Lionsgate: Drugstore Cowboy

#1 Post by pro-bassoonist » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:11 pm

Lionsgate will release "Drugstore Cowboy" under their prestigious Meridian Collection label on DVD this October 14th. The film stars Matt Dillon, Kelly Lynch, James Le Gros, and Heather Graham.

The Meridian Collection is a compilation of acclaimed, groundbreaking and influential films from around the world, debuted this past June with two celebrated films – "Diva" and "The Red Violin."

Through Meridian Collection, Lionsgate will present significant works of world cinema in elite quality editions of the highest technical standards that celebrate their creative impact.

Special features will include: a "New digitally remastered print," "Drugstore Cowboy: A Retrospective - new featurette with the filmmakers and cast," a "Filmmaker Commentary," a "Making-of featurette," and a "Trailer."
Pro-B

Donald Brown

#2 Post by Donald Brown » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:38 am

Too bad there's no mention of a Blu-ray edition.

miless

#3 Post by miless » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:58 am

I wonder if there'll be more info in one of the supplements about the original casting (Tom Waits was originally approached to play the lead).

Cold Bishop

#4 Post by Cold Bishop » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:41 am

miless wrote:(Tom Waits was originally approached to play the lead).
You just blew my mind.

Haggai

#5 Post by Haggai » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:10 am

I've always loved this movie, so I guess I'll be picking up the new DVD. The old one is actually pretty good, considering how early it was released in the lifespan of the DVD format ('99, I think).

I also read the book back when I was in college. The movie is very faithful to it, from what I remember, aside from a few scenes cut out for length. Although I think the Bob character in the book is a disheveled guy in his late 30s (i.e., not a 25-year old Matt Dillon), which might explain why someone like Tom Waits could have been considered. But I'm glad they cast Dillon, as I think it's still the best role he's had to date.

kaujot

#6 Post by kaujot » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:02 pm

I wish Mr. Waits would act more.

pro-bassoonist

#7 Post by pro-bassoonist » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:53 pm

Donald Brown wrote:Too bad there's no mention of a Blu-ray edition.
I get the feeling that none of those Meridian channeled discs will see BR treatment.

Pro-B

HerrSchreck

#8 Post by HerrSchreck » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:21 pm

Haggai wrote:I've always loved this movie, so I guess I'll be picking up the new DVD. The old one is actually pretty good, considering how early it was released in the lifespan of the DVD format ('99, I think).

I also read the book back when I was in college. The movie is very faithful to it, from what I remember, aside from a few scenes cut out for length. Although I think the Bob character in the book is a disheveled guy in his late 30s (i.e., not a 25-year old Matt Dillon), which might explain why someone like Tom Waits could have been considered. But I'm glad they cast Dillon, as I think it's still the best role he's had to date.
You are absolutely right, I have a copy of this impossible to find book, which was writen by James Fogle who did all those things in the text-- it's his life story as an addict, written and released while he was in prison.

The movie is incredibly faithful to the book, I mean down to the lines of dialog, practically. Probably the most faithful adaptation I've read. Think about how times have changed since the late 60's /early 70's when drugs like morphine and dilaudid (and numorphan.. the 10mg "blues" were Bob's/James' favorite) were simply kept in drawers with a little lock on them, instead of the sensitized floor safes they have now.

True also that the old AVE disc is good, not only for its time but not too shabby today.. compared to some "independent" releases.

The movie is fantastic, though they are the prettiest and most handsome bunch of junkies (and stylishly dressed with money for hairstyling for the girls & go go boots etc) with no detectable source of income stated in the film. In fact Fogle if I recall correct used to sell off some of his take of lesser coveted drugs (barbiturates and lower end opiates).

tartarlamb

#9 Post by tartarlamb » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:22 pm

I always catch this one on TV whenever I can. Its bittersweet to see a Portland that, alas, no longer exists.

Haggai

#10 Post by Haggai » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:19 pm

Does anybody know what the deal with this DVD is? I can't find a listing on Amazon for any new release of Drugstore Cowboy. I went to the Lionsgate website and found this, but I'm not sure what it is. Is that the cover for the new DVD? What's with the "Exclusive Wal-Mart" banner at the top?

pianocrash

#11 Post by pianocrash » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:47 pm

Haggai wrote:What's with the "Exclusive Wal-Mart" banner at the top?
"Exclusive Wal-Mart DVD 2-Pack - Bonus Film Drugstore Cowboy", which I guess means it was paired in-store with a copy of You, Me & Dupree, and that a bannerless version of the art was not available. The specs stated are those from the standard, no-frills release, so I suppose it got pushed back even further, unfortunately. I was really looking forward to hearing more James Le Gros anecdotes, so now I'll just have to watch the last five minutes of Zodiac on repeat until the news turns out better.

Haggai

Re: Drugstore Cowboy

#12 Post by Haggai » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:18 am

Still nothing on the Lionsgate website about this DVD release, but Amazon now has it up for pre-order with a release date of Feb. 3rd.