Lionsgate: Roberto Rossellini Collection

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
justeleblanc

Lionsgate: Roberto Rossellini Collection

#1 Post by justeleblanc » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:11 pm

Announced for November 11 (cover)

Films include:
Dov'e La Liberta...?
Era Notte A Roma
Last edited by justeleblanc on Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:12 pm

Damn right =D>

Tommaso

#3 Post by Tommaso » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:11 am

Brilliant! But why only two films? Sigh...I remember that massive Renoir set....

Jeff

#4 Post by Jeff » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:03 am

Tommaso wrote:Brilliant! But why only two films? Sigh...I remember that massive Renoir set....
Those are likely the only Rossellini films they own the rights to.

justeleblanc

#5 Post by justeleblanc » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:49 am

This is a nice surprise for sure. I'm also anticipating a release of Stavisky in 2009 (hopefully with an interview with Sondheim, but probably not).

ellipsis7

#6 Post by ellipsis7 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:26 pm

May not be such a nice surprise after all - what Studio Canal supplied to their UK/IRL offshoot Optimum for their ERA NOTTE A ROMA DVD earlier this year was dire to say the least - soft, bad print, cropped & letterboxed... As they will also be supplying Lionsgate with materials under their deal, it may be too much to hope for something better... Let's wait and see....

justeleblanc

#7 Post by justeleblanc » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:27 am

ellipsis7 wrote:May not be such a nice surprise after all - what Studio Canal supplied to their UK/IRL offshoot Optimum for their ERA NOTTE A ROMA DVD earlier this year was dire to say the least - soft, bad print, cropped & letterboxed... As they will also be supplying Lionsgate with materials under their deal, it may be too much to hope for something better... Let's wait and see....
Dunno. Optimum's SENSO was also quite bad, but Criterion will be releasing the new print of it next year... so maybe Optimum just jumped the gun on both releases.

ellipsis7

#8 Post by ellipsis7 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:49 am

justeleblanc wrote:
ellipsis7 wrote:May not be such a nice surprise after all - what Studio Canal supplied to their UK/IRL offshoot Optimum for their ERA NOTTE A ROMA DVD earlier this year was dire to say the least - soft, bad print, cropped & letterboxed... As they will also be supplying Lionsgate with materials under their deal, it may be too much to hope for something better... Let's wait and see....
Dunno. Optimum's SENSO was also quite bad, but Criterion will be releasing the new print of it next year... so maybe Optimum just jumped the gun on both releases.
Maybe, but Optimum is owned by Studio Canal, so they are an organic whole... It's good to see SENSO due to come out on Criterion, showing that there are exemptions to the Lionsgate deal with Studio Canal... One confounder also is that Optimum released a dire version of ELENA AND HER MEN in their recent Jean Renoir box set long after Criterion released a perfectly lovely version in the JR STAGE AND SPECTACLE set... But I agree - we must live in hope!...

Scharphedin2

#9 Post by Scharphedin2 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:12 am

ellipsis7 wrote:
justeleblanc wrote:Optimum's SENSO was also quite bad, but Criterion will be releasing the new print of it next year... so maybe Optimum just jumped the gun on both releases.
...It's good to see SENSO due to come out on Criterion...
I like how these news of a DVD release of the restored print of Senso is just kind of passed along under the breath. Is Criterion really releasing this?! That would be fantastic! Is this for certain, juste?

rohmerin

#10 Post by rohmerin » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:04 am

Great. =D> =D> =D>

justeleblanc

#11 Post by justeleblanc » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:18 am

Re: Senso

Yes yes, I posted this maybe a month ago in the Rumors and News thread. Very exciting news indeed! Coming in 2009.

tubal

#12 Post by tubal » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:33 pm

wpqx

#13 Post by wpqx » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:36 pm

shame there aren't any listed special features, but at least those two films are new to DVD and certainly welcome to any Rossellini-phile.

Tommaso

Re: Roberto Rossellini Collection

#14 Post by Tommaso » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:29 am

Beaver.
Sounds pretty bad :(

Oedipax

#15 Post by Oedipax » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:52 am

Tommaso wrote:Beaver.
Sounds pretty bad :(
Tag Gallagher's takedown of the Lionsgate copy is pretty enjoyable. He doesn't even mention the most glaringly obvious inaccuracy: to the best of my knowledge, André Bazin was never a "legendary French director," but rather a legendary French film critic!

Tommaso

#16 Post by Tommaso » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:27 am

Yes, this made me smile, too. However, I could have lived with that and more if only the "Era notte" transfer wouldn't be the mess it seems to be. I wonder where an accaptable English-friendly version could come from now. Australia remains the last straw, but I don't have a lot of hope for it.

GringoTex

#17 Post by GringoTex » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:13 am

Era notte a Roma is the strangest Rossellini I've seen. For the first 2/3, it's seemingly a return to "normalcy" for Rossellini (after his radically modernistic 50s work): a straightforward and tightly structured WW2 suspense tale. And then in the final 1/3, the whole narrative seemingly disintegrates into pieces of many other different stories: old characters vanish; new characters and settings and plotlines suddenly appear. I've read that Rossellini purposefully did not shoot certain scenes in his scripts to avoid being enslaved to the narrative. I don't know if that's true or if that's what's happening here. to But a sense of moral certitude placates the whole through Rossellini's brilliant, effortless long takes. I need time to wrap my head around this one.