Doriane Films (France)

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
antnield

Doriane Films (France)

#1 Post by antnield » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:42 am

Doriane Films: French label with quite an eclectic catalogue.

I've got to admit I wasn't aware of them until I was sent a copy of Michael Grigsby's 'I Was a Soldier' to review. Given that Grigsby is one the UK's major documentarians and is currently represented by only two films on disc (both on the BFI's 'Free Cinema' boxed-set), this disc is one to seek out. Oh, and the doc's terrific too...

HerrSchreck

Re: Doriane Films (France)

#2 Post by HerrSchreck » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:15 am

Renoir's La vie est a Nous is out via this label apparently. I've been wanting to see this film for some time, along with Carrefour.

Apparently La vie is one of the films made during-- around the height apparently-- the whole movement of The Popular Front.

Rough translation of it's description indicate the film had censor problems domestically... anyone know more about this? Apparently the film had very restricted release in France... why? Was it exclusively due to the politics of the film itself?

sir karl

#3 Post by sir karl » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:40 am

MovieMail's having a sale on Doriane Films DVDs.

Does anybody know if "Looking for Alice" (documentary about the first lady of film, Alice Guy/Alice Blaché) has english subtitles?

Scharphedin2

#4 Post by Scharphedin2 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:40 am

sir karl wrote:MovieMail's having a sale on Doriane Films DVDs.

Does anybody know if "Looking for Alice" (documentary about the first lady of film, Alice Guy/Alice Blaché) has english subtitles?
I own the disc, and there are no subtitles on the documentary.

The films themselves (there are 8 of her American productions included) do not need subs, as the title cards are in English, but the quality of the image is not great, and some of the films are not complete. Also, the music that was used to underscore the films is in some cases too much -- ultra-dramatic haunted house style accompaniment alternating with what sounds like a playful jazz band having a practice session.

Several of these films -- although not all -- have seen better days on other releases in the States. And, the Gaumont Early Cinema Set is of course miles ahead of this, and devotes two full discs to Guy (including supplements), but without subtitles. However, most of this material is right around the corner from Kino.

It is nice to have access to this material, but unless you are a really serious Guy completist, I would save my money on this release.

sir karl

#5 Post by sir karl » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:14 am

Thank you very much for your answer! :)